I Need Support, Now More Than Ever

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Dec 5, 2013.

1. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      So here is my story, I know many of you may have had similar ones...

One year ago I went to 2 loud concerts two nights in a row. No hearing protection, next to speakers. I have had tinnitus ever since. Now it was very hard at first, discouraging when I saw a ENT and he said "There is no cure, you will just have to live with it." But then after some time (I don't quite remember how long) I got used to it, I no longer really heard it unless I plugged my ears and listened for it. Sometimes when I drank too much coffee it would be more present, but besides that I was fine.

5 months later (May 2013) I made a really dumb choice to go to another concert. I wore earplugs, but only 12NRR, didn't realize at the time that it was not a high protection. I was nowhere near speakers, but still after that concert my tinnitus spiked all over again - this time it seemed worse than I had ever had it. I stayed home sick for a few days and cried, but somehow got over it. I don't remember how long it took, but again it had diminished and I was carrying on my life normally. I started to wear earplugs if I was ever in a tad-bit loud environment - like when my professors would screen a documentary in class, or even the few movie theatre trips I had.

Now, almost one week ago (November 29, 2013) I went to a concert. I knew I shouldn't have gone. I had a really bad feeling about it. But somehow let my friends (who do not have T) convince me that I'd be fine, I wore protection of NRR 33 (which I think I shoved in too far, because they had hurt) stayed away from speakers, and left early. I left with my right ear feeling full, and the ringing was extremely unbearable. Now almost a week has gone by and the ringing has not decreased, and my anxiety and emotions have been a wreck. My ear still has fullness - but I'm not sure if its a cause from my earplugs or what. I am also scared the T wont diminish again, because I don't remember how long it took last time.

I keep blaming myself, and my family keeps reminding me that they told me not to go. That I knew this would happen. Along with the increase this time I have had a loss of appetite, and depression.

Where do I go from here?

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I am sorry you are suffering now, Demi. But I am pretty sure this spike will recede, just as the others have. Your anxiety is feeding your T right now (loss of appetite is a common symptom of anxiety). Try some relaxation techniques, get some short-term anxiety meds if you have to, do things you enjoy to distract yourself, avoid noisy situations and protect your ears, get plenty of sleep. You will be OK. The feeling of ear fullness is normal for tinnitus patients, and comes and goes with many of us. It will go away, too.

Oh, it goes without saying: No more concerts. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Could it be you have a sinus/eat infection? I was just just diagnosed with acute otitis media an my symptoms are fullness in the ear and T.

4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your fullness in your ears is temporary threshold shift, it is temporary trauma to your hearing, it is a way of your ears trying to protect themselves against loud noise, it will disappear after a few weeks.

I am in the same position as you, had mild tinnitus since summer 2012, only 8 weeks ago slammed shut a car bonnet/hood, got temporary threshold shift (full, blocked ear feeling) it lasted a week, but ever since my tinnitus is louder and sounds completely different.

I believe because you already had noise induced tinnitus, your ears have lower tolerance to noise now, remember your ears are damaged and I believe a concert is to loud, even with earplugs. Hopefully your tinnitus spike goes back down, but the lesson here is never go to another concert again, it is not worth getting severe tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Demi,

I agree with the others who have already commented. Fullness in the ears may still occur for awhile, but I believe it will dissipate after awhile. It definitely has for me.

I've had a similar experience to yours. I had noise-induced tinnitus for many years, and it didn't bother me, until I took an ototoxic drug. Then, my tinnitus changed, and became very loud (roaring), and much worse. Now, three years later, it has greatly improved. Yours may very well do the same.

Please don't be discouraged; it may take awhile to settle down again, but if you allow yourself time to relax, be calm, get some sleep, and avoid loud noises, thing will improve.

I wish you the best, and am glad you joined our forum!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Please stay strong, you need some more time to recover. When the feeling of fullness goes away, I'm sure it will improve and you are going to feel better. In the meantime try to relax, drink some hot tea, watch a movie, try out this website: http://mynoise.net/ I have it running quietly in the background often when I'm at my PC.

And last but not least, don't blame yourself. There is nothing wrong in willing to have fun.

All things aside, your ENT doctor is a moron. Everytime I read a story where ENT doctor tells a classic line "there is no cure, you need to get used to it" I feel nothing but angry. I must have been really, really lucky to have met my doctor. He was honest with me - look, we don't have a way to cure it. But there is quite a lot of things you can try and there is a chance you'll get better. There's also those masking mp3 files you can download, they will help you stop thinking about your T. And... happy pills which you should take for a week or two so you can start functioning back again.

And you know what? I am feeling great :) You too will.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Hello Demi, I understand your situation because that is exactly what happened to me, although my tinnitus wasn't initially cause by noise damage. I also feel my tinnitus worsened twice, once only a little, but after the second concert it got really bad. I'm just in the process of getting used to the increased sound. There is still the chance that your tinnitus will calm down, even after two weeks or a month.

It is also difficult to accept not being able to go to concerts again. I realized the only way I can sometimes enjoy a concert or a musical theatre is with earplugs plus earmuffs. I might sometimes go to a concert like this, but I guess I don't like to go to a club wearing earmuffs, it looks quite stupid. But I would advice you to avoid loud noise until you feel a bit better and be extra careful with your ears now, as the other suggested. That's what I'm also trying to do. Sometimes I though tend to forget I don't have "normal" ears.

Your probably feeling very stressed right now, so try to do something enjoyable and relaxing everyday, also to improve your sleep. It might be long walks, swimming, yoga, a massage. Those things will also helps to lessen the anxiety your feeling.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to rule out an infection or something for the ear that is full currently, because I have had pain with it - but not a pain due to hyperacusis. It just randomly hurts like a earache. I know it has not even been a full week yet, but I am still very nervous.

Thank you everyone who had very encouraging words, I really appreciate it. I will update with what the doctor says tomorrow.

Also, I have read that magnesium helps those with noise-induced T. I bought some today, 250mg. Does anyone have experience with this/know how much I should be taking?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Demi,

Glad you're going to a doctor tomorrow, and I hope he will be able to determine if there is any ear infection or fluid in the affected ear.

As for magnesium, it's best to start slowly, because some forms of magnesium can cause loose bowels. I am currently taking between 500 and 1,000 mg. per day of magnesium chloride (a type of magnesium that doesn't seem to cause bowel problems). Try the 250 mg., and adjust accordingly.

Best wishes,
      Karen

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Karen, if I take 500mg, should I take one 250mg in the morning, and one at night?

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I think that would be a good idea to start. Please make sure the 250 mg. doesn't cause you any bowel distress. It's best to start slowly with magnesium, and work up to a higher dose as your body gets used to it.

Then, after you're used to it, you could probably take all 500 mg. at night. That's what I do, but I've been taking it for awhile.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Demi: I also have found the supplement N-Acetylcysteine (commonly sold as NAC) to be helpful after a spike. My doc recommended large doses for a few days after exposure: 600 mg three times a day for about five days. Here is a TT thread where others discussed other dosage recommendations.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine.395/

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Did it work well?

Also just saw the doctor. Prescribed me a low dosage of Xanax for a couple days to get my emotions back together. He said the ear with fullness does have a minor infection and irritation/swelling so he prescribed a weeks worth of antibiotics for that.

If the fullness isn't due to that, and is due to my tinnitus spike - how long should I expect my ear to be full for? I'm still very nervous about it.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Demi,

Hope the antibiotics help with your ear. There are no hard and fast rules for how long the ear fullness will last before it goes away. For me, it took awhile, but I no longer have it now. All I can tell you is that, for most people, it does gradually get better.

15. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Demi, I wouldn't be worried because it will only last a few weeks, whatever the cause.

I had the full ear feeling when I first got tinnitus from loud noise (threshold shift), that lasted 2 weeks before leaving, this time round I got fullness again from loud noise, I had extreme fullness in both ears for 5 days before disappearing. So the fullness will leave.

I am worried about my own 8 week spike, I don't want to be stuck with this louder noise, I miss my mild tinnitus :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hey Mick, i´m guessing no change for you yet? i can´t believe a car bonnet would or could cause this much of a change in your previously low t ... just how loud was it? and did your ears feel hurt as soon as it happened? i know you said 6hrs later it started having an effect on your t, but at that precise moment what did you feel/ think as to the impact on your ears? i´m still trying to cope, but even nearly 5 weeks in my ears are still hot, and feel blocked? the t goes from a loud ringing to a low hissing, with a distant drumming in the back ground!!

17. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Unfortunately you were not wearing NRR 33.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/extra-protection-wearing-earmuffs-and-1218
      Both your friends and your earplug sellers don't know/care about your health as much as yourself. Remember this incident. You are in charge of your own well being.

18. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Sorry for all you are going through. Try to stay positive. Take it one day at a time. Don't think in terms of how long. Think about what you can do today like taking your medication, magnesium and to try to mask it and or to try to keep busy. Your being proactive with getting your ears checked and getting some help with anxiety and that proved to be a good idea. One day at a time, even one hour at a time, whatever you need to do to be positive, believe it's going to calm and quiet down. Hang in there. ​

19. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Carol, i must admit, i closed car bonnets many times before with no affect on my tinnitus. This time though the bonnet was very heavy making quite a loud noise, after i did it i was like.....ohh no.....that was loud, but i kept checking my ears for the next couple of hours and there was no change, only 6 hours later i got the stuffy blocked ears, still no change in my tinnitus, but the next day going to bed i knew suddenly my tinnitus has gone crazy. i thought to myself this isn't just a spike because of the blocked ears, i was right, 2 months later and this is the new horrible reality for me, i can't believe it!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      And today my emotions continue to run wild.

Last night before going to sleep I noticed that now my left ear also is feeling full. I went to bed, in panic. I woke up this morning and while it is not as full as my right ear, it is still full and everytime I swallow or yawn both ears crackle and pop, but mainly the newly fulled left ear.

I haven't taken my xanax because I am scared it will make T worse. So here I am left crying once again.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Oh, and here an even weirder thing. When I plug my ears and listen for T it is hardly present, but when unplugged it seems so much louder, or when my head is against a pillow it is loud. I don't even understand how that is possible.

22. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Demi - take the Xanax. It won't make the T worse but it will settle down your emotional response to it and begin to let you feel that you are getting control. There is a lot of nonsense on the internet about the effects on drugs on Tinnitus. Most drugs in low and moderate doses are fine. There are certain drugs we know are toxic to the inner ear but Xanax is not one of them. If in doubt, talk to your doctor.

• Useful Useful x 1
    23. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with Dr. Ancill. You'll feel much better once you can calm down a little bit, and get some rest.

As for the crackling, popping, and fullness --- it has something to do with the Eustachian tubes. You may have it for awhile, but it will eventually go away, or at least get a whole lot better.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I still cannot get used to having the super fullness in my right ear that I have had since the night of the concert, it is driving me crazy. I know it's only been 9 days, but 9 days sure feels like a very long time to have the muffled ear.

25. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hi Demi, don´t worry, i had full and throbbing ears for 4 weeks, not to mention the heat that was coming out of them, i could have fried an egg in both!!! but these past 3/4 day´s it has almost gone... not the t, just the fullness and heat!!!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I also have heat! It's such a strange feeling!

27. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I know, what a weird thing? i could understand if i had an ear infection, of course i´d have hot ears... but no infection, no loud concerts, just an effing ringing and hissing sound all day every day. My husband rang our land line twice today, he knew i was in, but i didn`t notice it ringing, i thought it was just in my head, we did end up laughing about it!!!

28. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      That is the same for me Demi - I noticed that if I put something in my bad ear it seems to lessen yet not good if I have it on the pillow.

29. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Not for me ladies... when i plug my ears the t goes higher pitched, and some what faster, and then when i unplug... just back to the norm??

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Please keep me updated on your fullness going away! It is a very optimistic thing to hear!