I Now Have Tinnitus After Receiving the Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mamabear, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I have both low and very high tones.

2. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      You are right. I was stupid to get this. Now I’ll pay with my life.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      No fake news, please.

"The Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine uses a fragment of messenger RNA (mRNA) to instruct your body to make an immune response against COVID-19.

There is a crucial difference between mRNA and DNA.

DNA, which makes up our genetic code, is larger, double stranded and very long. The mRNA is a single stranded copy of a small part of the DNA, which is often released to send instructions to other parts of the cell.

DNA is stored in the protected centre of our cells – the nucleus. The mRNA is broken down quickly by the body. It never enters the nucleus, and cannot affect or combine with our DNA in any way to change our genetic code.

Instead, COVID-19 mRNA vaccines teach the cell how to make a protein that triggers an immune response specific to COVID-19. The vaccines work with the body’s natural defences to develop immunity to disease."​

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      Same here, no issues. Also had zero side effects, no headaches or anything.

5. 5atoshi

5atoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You'll be OK man.
      Even if your tinnitus never goes away that doesn't mean you can't be happy again :) I live with loud AF tinnitus and I rarely notice it. Don't lose hope my friend. You will be OK.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Too early to talk about side effects. Write back in two weeks.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It's the fault of governments, which have approved for human use a vaccine that has not been tested enough.

A few people in their 30s died in Japan after having the COVID-19 vaccine. I think they would not have died from COVID-19, considering their young age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Got my 3rd full Moderna shot this weekend. No perceived impact on my tinnitus. It's just as loud as ever.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      I hope that some mitigation may happen in time. Like you, my moderate tinnitus became bad/severe after the jab. But, it also became more reactive than before and now loud noises (even when wearing protection) may make it super intrusive. And, those aggressive spikes last long - for me, about 2-4 months.

10. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Exactly same as me!!! Mine was mild and didn’t bother me. Jab made it hyper reactive and loud as hell. It spikes to me rustling the sheets or the refrigerator!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      My possibly vaccine induced tinnitus was reactive as well. I didn't even know what was happening since I've never had tinnitus but it was reacting to my modem and car air-conditioning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Malik1965

Malik1965 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had both shots of Covid Moderna
      I have had Tinnitus since i received the 2nd shoot of vaccine M, on the 01/06/2021 with in this time like 2 weeks i had fever and I loose my MOOD because have depress and high blood presser all ways checked blood presser 140,s My PCP send me to SD, He put me on the Zoloft 150mg daily which improve mood but not sleep my own Tinnitus still there it starts on the end of June 2021 left ear now 1st November starts the right ear so now i have both ears my PCP and SD did not trust that happened me after vaccine.
      I have no idea what to do ? I was OK my age 56 and now I am taking 150 mg Zoloft and for sleep I am taking 0.5 Clonopin and 50 mg Seriqual.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. trevl

trevl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Acoustic Trauma due to driving a Mitsubishi Rosa
      Adelaide, South Australia. Male, 54 years old.

I had my first Pfizer dose on 8 September, 2021, my second dose on 30 September, 2021.

3 weeks apart.

The immediate symptom of my first dose, on day 1 post vaccination, I had a full head, brain fog, unable to function on 2 feet. Like being drunk. I’ve never felt like that before. I remember in the kitchen in the morning that day, telling my father that I was going back to bed. I could never drive a car or even ride a pushbike!

I remember feeling exhausted. I slept until dusk that same day. I remember waking at dusk to birds outside my window, like they always do. My brain was full. I remember listening to the birds, and then my ears turned up a tone. Like someone turning up a fader on a mixer. Mixing up an audio track with the background sounds. I remember thinking 'that's loud'. That will be something to do with my full head. Hope that goes away. Maybe it's normal. I've never had a flu shot so maybe this is what happens. My friends told me about a tinnitus reaction, but surely that's made up, or rare. I have to rest. The next morning I remember that the tone was still there. Still as loud.

One week later, my sister visited. I asked he if she had a Pfizer vax, and she said she did. I asked her how long did she have an effect for. She said there was nothing by the next day. I told her I don't feel right, I think I have a long COVID-19-vax symptom. I remember feeling a tight head. I don't remember describing a tone. I think the feeling of a full head was more prominent. More debilitating. I do remember thinking that I am a fit male, I can get through this and out the other side.

I don't know if the tone ever left me. I think not. The head tightness diminished, and that was most important. But I do remember that listening to a radio in my study was not the same. I couldn't focus on the radio. So didn't listen anymore. I think the tone in my head interfered with the radio. I wore earbuds, and listened to music from the computer.

Two weeks after my second dose (5 weeks after my first dose), I began working in a job where the ambient noise was 76-80 dB. I was working initially without ear protection. Then wore ear protection. I stopped working after 4 weeks because I noticed the tone I thought had left me, was back, and much louder. Maybe it was always there, but now much louder. I realised nature sounds (birds, leaves) were competing with a tone I was also hearing. I noticed that my head felt tight, and the noise of wind past my ears was painful.

I paid a bit more attention, put silencing earphones on my ears and realised I have a constant tone in one ear, and two intermittent flute notes in the other. The constant tone keeps me awake at night, the flute notes are not so prominent. If I listen to Pink Noise at 44 dB (head height), I can no longer hear my internal tone. That gives an idea of the volume of the tone I am hearing. My ears feel warm, like there is pressure from inside. when horizontal, I can hear blood pulse in my ears.

I thought my hearing was damaged from work or music. On 11 November, 2021, I had a hearing test done. I was hearing all tones and volumes, in acceptable range for my age. The audiologist said my hearing was good. The tinnitus is not due to hearing loss. I have reported a COVID-19 adverse reaction to SA Health COVID-19 Advisory Service. They are aware of a number of COVID-19 tinnitus reactions.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      Sorry to hear this. Mine is not as reactive but spikes due to louder noises. Some of those spikes are short-lived (a day or two), but others last long.

I may have done more damage unwittingly 5-6 weeks after the second jab - I used for 11 days an antibiotic ointment for a skin wound without realizing that the Neomycin sulfate in it it may do further damage (and it likely did since it spiked further).

My new policy is to avoid almost any/all medical/cosmetic products. Even hand creams spike my tinnitus badly. If I put any such, I do it just before bedtime - by the morning, when I wake up, the spike is generally beginning to diminish.

15. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I made the mistake of listening to my doctor who gave me Klonopin. I was on it 6 weeks and during taper it made me worse. No more medicines for me.

16. trevl

trevl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Acoustic Trauma due to driving a Mitsubishi Rosa
      The above test did not show the hidden hearing loss, in the range of 7000 Hz+. I have since done some audition testing at home on my computer, using Online Tone Generator, testing 250 Hz through to 8500 Hz, in 250 Hz increments, using standardised audio settings and same equipment each time. Hearing loss in my left ear begins at 7000 Hz and continues to be progressively lost in higher frequencies. Results in this range are variable depending on time of day. I seem to recover some hearing at 8000 Hz at about midday, back to within normal range. By end of day, 7500 Hz and above, I am deaf in my left ear.

Audiologist tested only 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 8000 Hz.

That means the professional audiology test could not show hidden hearing loss.
      Since the test was carried out about 1130AM, that means it was probably recording 8000 Hz at the time of day, where my hearing at this frequency, was recovered to close-to-normal. End of day would have been a different result.

17. Erinleigh

Erinleigh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 5
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      Just joined yesterday.

I’ve had tinnitus since the first the day of the first Pfizer vaccine with a feeling of my inner ears being plugged and being unable to open them. No amount of yawning helped. Received the first dose Oct. 5 so have had tinnitus for over a month now. Loud nonstop static. Doctors could see nothing and say my ears look perfectly normal.

TODAY I took a concoction of supplements: 4000 mg Ginkgo biloba and other stuff (in “Focus Formula”), 2000 mg Vitamin C, 4000 IU Vitamin D, B Complex and dropper full of Chlorophyll tincture. All I can say is that after a month of nonstop noise in my ears, it’s magically gone. Ears still feel plugged but not as badly as before. I don’t know if it was one or all of these things. But hallelujah - it worked!!! And within hours!

Can’t hurt to try. All these things are good for the body.

My husband was researching active ingredients for products to reduce the perception of tinnitus and suggested Magnesium (which I take nightly, anyhow.) and Ginkgo biloba. And I threw in several more things from my supplement cupboard.

First time I’ve been free of buzzing in over a month. Will be taking this concoction daily.

18. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Hidden hearing loss is not extended high frequency hearing loss. It is the loss of synapses between IHCs and SGNs, and it does not show up on an audiogram at all. In fact, there are no reliable ways of testing for it other than speech-in-noise tests, but if you have higher frequency synaptopathy, you will hear speech just fine. An ABR test may pick it up it it's severe enough.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Did it return? Let us know! Seems too good to be true!

20. GaryS

GaryS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain but had 2nd Covid-19 Vaccine 30 days prior
      I received my 2nd Pfizer vaccine on April 4th, 2021. About 2 weeks later I developed ringing in both ears, more like a sonic tape hiss that's really getting to me. It appears to be increasing in volume as the months have passed. I contacted my county board of health and they down played the symptoms stating it may not be the vaccine. I'm not antivax. But I'm of the opinion we aren't hearing about side effects because they want everyone to get vaccinated. All I'm seeking is truth.

I hope I can cope with this if there isn't a cure or something that will provide relief.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. PeteM2001

PeteM2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Being a musician!
      It's way worse in the UK. I saw 5 doctors and only the last one entertained that the vaccine was the cause of my heightened tinnitus/hyperacusis. Three said categorically there was no link.

Talk about an absolutely unbelievable coincidence in that case...

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Magwell
      Doubtful

Magwell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis, noise, stress
      Hi @jimH, I have read your posts on your last serious spike of which I am going through right now.

You mentioned that you had yours for about 4 months. I was wondering how you handled it and if you took any medication?

I am struggling to get my life back to where I was before but I am feeling less hopeful as it has been over 2 months... :(

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Ksharky13

Ksharky13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect COVID-19 vaccine - Moderna booster in 12/2021
      Hi all: New to this thread. I got a spike in my tinnitus about 6 weeks after my COVID-19 booster (Moderna). I've had it for 6 weeks now. I've been doing a lot of research and it does seem quite possible that my spike is the result of either the vaccine or my body's immune response to it. A lot of horror stories out there about this, with some that eventually resolved after several months. That gives me some hope that this may be a temporary spike vs permanent damage to my auditory system.

Based on my research of the VAERS database yesterday, there have been around 14,000 reported cases of tinnitus following vaccination. A clear 25% of these have a reported onset time of 0 days, meaning the tinnitus started hours, and in some cases minutes after receiving the vaccine. Based on my research as to how these vaccines work, and the process & timing of how our immune systems respond to create antibodies, it does not seem to be physically possible to have an off-target side effect like tinnitus that quickly. It would even seem unlikely in a matter of a couple of days. Plus, there is a wide range of onset times reported, from 0 days to over 120 days. Other acknowledged side effects like myocarditis and GBS had a range of onset time that was very small (like 2-7 days, not weeks or months apart). I point these things out as I am trying to be as logical about this (and not freak out too much) to try to see if the information available points to correlation or causation.

I know it is very frustrating that is seems like nobody (CDC, Moderna, Pfizer, AMA, etc.) is taking this seriously or, even worse, may be keeping what they may know quiet in order to not create more vaccine hesitancy. For me, I am still of the belief that my tinnitus spike is related to the COVID-19 vaccine, either directly or indirectly. I am going to follow some of the approaches and advice from those stories where people eventually resolved their tinnitus and give mine a good 6 months to see if things improve.

I welcome all comments, feedback, questions, suggestions, etc. Especially links to stories or information related to recovery success stories or pointing towards this being a temporary condition.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Ksharky13

Ksharky13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      CathyJ: Thank you for posting about your recovery success story. I search everyday for stories like yours to give me (and others) hope that this is a temporary condition. My tinnitus spike started 6 weeks after my booster shot and I've had it now for 6 weeks. Early on I went down the internet rabbit hole and, of course, found hordes of horror stories related to the COVID-19 vaccines and tinnitus.

Has your tinnitus remained at baseline? Did you take any kind of antioxidant vitamins or supplements or do anything differently or did your tinnitus resolve on its own over time?

Thanks again for sharing your story - very happy for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Ksharky13

Ksharky13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For what it's worth, I wrote to the CDC and asked them why they haven't acknowledged tinnitus, as well as other auditory issues (i.e. vertigo) as a potential side effect to the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. Amazingly, they actually responded in a couple of days. The significant portion of their response is below (bold text is CDC's).

CDC monitors the safety of COVID-19 vaccines using multiple systems (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...id vaccine safety:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21). COVID-19 vaccine safety is a top priority for the CDC. The authorized and approved COVID-19 vaccines are being administered under the most comprehensive and intensive vaccine safety monitoring effort in U.S. history. Hundreds of millions of people in the United States have safety received COVID-19 vaccinations. To date 555,595,418 COVID-19 vaccinations have been administered. CDC safety monitoring to date has not established a causal relationship between COVID-19 vaccination and ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or other hearing problems.

26. Spencer123

Spencer123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Covid Vaccine
      It seems that at least the WHO is now looking to this, although the number of cases in this article seems to be way lower than what is publicly available on the CDC website. Not sure why there is such a discrepancy. Curious as to why the CDC is still dragging their feet on recognizing this.

WHO examining potential hearing problems linked to Covid vaccines

27. GlennJ

GlennJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just an update. I have reported in this thread twice before. I still have tinnitus, just over a year now. I still feel that it was a side effect of the COVID-19 vaccine because of the onset shortly after having the vaccine. But that could be coincidence. I still have it 24/7. I have been prescribed a hearing aid with maskers that I have been using for a few weeks now. So far it hasn't made any difference.

• Like Like x 1