I Was Able to Lower My Tinnitus After Sleeping Using Melatonin and Meclizine (Over the Counter Drug)

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Nov 29, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I just thought I would post this in case someone wants to try it. I was waking up with higher tinnitus or lower tinnitus erratically. In addition I was taking a medication that I believe was increasing a certain sound of my tinnitus. It had been high for a few days so I decided to try something:

First off, I didn't eat within 3 hours of going to bed at night. I believe that this is VERY important to getting this to work. I think it has something to do with affecting the circadian rhythm of the body. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think it works if you eat right before sleeping.

Secondly, I took .45mg melatonin and then chewed 50mg meclizine at the same time. After an hour or so, I took .45mg of melatonin again and went to sleep. (Also, right before I took the last melatonin, I made sure all lights were out, no computer or anything else on.) I believe that is important too, for getting this to work for me.

I then woke up with low T. However, I woke up drowsy due to the meclizine and went back to sleep and then woke up again in which it was louder than the first time I woke up but somewhat lower than it had been the previous day.

The brand I bought was Rugby and I got it at Costco. It was behind the pharmacist's cash register on the shelf. I had to ask for it. The also sell it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Meclizine-Ch...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AQS3HKKYCG2M0SWPJ3P0

I don't know if it is safe to take long term though and this probably won't work on everyone. I don't know if this will continue to work either. If you try it, be careful because you will probably wake up drowsy due to the anti-histamine action of meclizine.

• Like Like x 1
    2. obutterfly
      Surrender

obutterfly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably Wellbutrin
      Jason, How is your depression? Are you still on meds for that? Have you tried SurvivingAntidepressants.org?

3. obutterfly
      Surrender

obutterfly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably Wellbutrin
      If T doesn't go away in two months, is it permanent?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      to be clear, you did this once and now you're convinced it works?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      My depression is better in the sense that in the past few weeks I have had no crushing depression where I didn't want to get out of bed. About a couple of months ago I was real bad. It could have been caused by a toothache, pain medications, and sleeping a lot. I remember it was really bad...that lasted maybe 9 days. I also was trying to come off Klonopin because I think it affected my moods some but it was really hard to do and I couldn't do it for long as I would feel a lot of uncomfortable angst. That actually could have been my normal self. I finally found two medications that can help me with that. I started taking Neurontin which allowed me to not need Klonopin. It even seemed to lower some of my static T. (Either that or getting of Klonopin, not sure). However, it increased my whistle T sometimes so I decided to take Trileptal instead. I took a few weeks but it really seems to help with my bipolar and I no longer need the Klonopin.

For a few weeks I was having erratic T..sometimes low days, sometimes high days and wasn't trying to tamper with meds. I even stopped obsessing over T BUT started thinking about other negative things. (I've got to get better at not doing that.)

However, after a few days of loud whistle T, I decided to take the Meclizine. Well, unfortunately, I couldn't sleep last night and had to eat something before I finally went to sleep and now my T isn't the worst but it isn't the best either. At least the whistle is down. I can tell you the hearing aids really help and so does the meds but they can't fix all my mental problems. I've got to mentally do better and think better.

I am also looking into a new hearing aid that was apparently released just recently called the Signia NX series. It can connect directly to a iphone, has 12khz frequency range amplifcation, and built in notch therapy.

I hope you are doing better.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have done it several times but it only seems to work on certain types of my tinnitus sounds. It especially seems to work on this whistle sound I have.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You never know really. I heard of a woman that got in a car accident that had T for a long time but then it disappeared. Try to hang in there. If you can't get over the tinnitus after a while, it could be a physical problem in your brain not allowing you to habituate. That is what I think is my problem due to previous depression although oddly, I did habituate to it when I was on Lexapro but it was such a mind numbing drug I didn't want to be on it. I know many people who have tinnitus but it does not bother them. They also are the type that do not have intrusive thoughts. They tune it out almost all the time. There is no emotional negative attachment to it so the body does not consider it a threat and the mind thinks about other things.

8. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Hi, Jason: I'm sorry about you not being well.
      Thanks for telling us your experience with Meclizine. It's very interesting, but Tinnitus is listed as a side effect of this medication. I had a very bad experience a few weeks back with some anaesthetic eye drops which they first lowered my tinnitus to a point that I hardly could hear it, but one hour later my ears were ringing really badly, and this lasted for more than 24 hrs. This is was ototoxicity does sometimes. I'm glad that Mezclizine works for you, but, please, be cautious and take it sparsely, just in case.
      Warm regards.

9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      The hearing aid you are trying is that Signal natch therapy. My hearing person suggest it to me where they match your sound and by using in ear device cancel out T. He said they had good results. It's by signa. But I dont know enough.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yeah but I believe it is only good for tonal tinnitus. I haven't tried it out yet. I also wonder how well the Bluetooth connection works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      When did your hearing guy tell you about it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      My hearing guy told me just about a week ago, He been good to me. I went to him for maskers he is the only one I've been to that's been informed with tinnitius. He told me it was tonal and they would match my tonal and he has my tonal sound. He told me I would have to listen for 4 hours, and he said they had good results. I'm glad to see you mention it. I'm looking to doing it also. I just didn't know how much. Let me know how you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
    13. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      So how are you doing with signal notch therapy, is it working for you, I hope so.

14. WildMan

WildMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Beginning of 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      For some reason I have experienced the same thing. I was taking melatonin and a certain piercing tone would disappear, in the morning sometimes for up to half a day if not all day.