I Was Exposed to an Alarm...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Well tbh it was more of a beep from an alarm, I clicked a button and it made a very loud beep in the house...

To be honest I don't think a second of a loud beep will cause damage or a spike...

But what do you guys think?

I also knew that by clicking that button it will make a loud sound... for a moment I forgot I had tinnitus.

I hate/love getting used or habituating to tinnitus because I start to become more careless about sounds and protecting my ears....

Do you think it will spike my t or make it worse?

:(

2. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      It sounds like you were exposed only to a loud but short-lived noise. You should be fine. Your tinnitus may or may not spike a little (I doubt it. If it was going to spike, it would have done it by now; depending on how long ago the incident was) but it'll come back down. No reason to worry about it!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      At work they test the alarms every week but it always catches me off guard. But its fine and it doesn't affect me.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Won't do anything, really.. Anxiety is the problem in your case ;)

• Like Like x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm Sure you will be fine so don't worry
      ..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that spending time wondering about whether or not an alarm caused a spike is more likely to cause a spike than the alarm is.

• Agree Agree x 6
    7. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @glynis.

I always find your opinion of great value, so, in the line of the OP story here I tell you what happened to me recently:

A few days ago one of those movement detectors at the entrance of a shop sounded several times next to me while people were coming through the door. That deeee daaaa[/I ]sound was ridiculously loud and high pitched. So much it bothered some other customers' ears. It sounded five or six times, I plugged my ears for some of them, and then I decided to leave the place. It was a painful sound. I've been on a LOUD and NASTY spike since then. I take sudden loud and high pitched sounds are the worst thing you can do to your ears.

Do you think this could remain as a permanent worsened form of my tinnitus?

Thanks.