I who love music and Silvine: How Do You Handle Your Spikes Using Your Methods

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      How do you handle spikes using your methods very bad day today.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      When I have spikes I reassure myself often throughout the day that it is only temporary spike and it will go back to normal soon.

Then I go out and find something to do to take my mind of it. Things that work the best: go do something outdoors like hiking but mix it with photography to take it a step further, volunteer somewhere where you have to be engaged with people, find a group on meetup.com that shares similar interests and hangout, do or learn something that engages your mind, something challenging yet rewarding. Most of all, don't do something for the sake of keeping busy. Do something that will keep you busy but is meaningful to you or someone else.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wonderful advice Erik, went to work was tempted to stay home and have a pity party. Now did some returns at the mall instead of going home for that pity party,
      Was curious about practicing the technique that was given on days like this. Thanks for holding my hand today.

• Like Like x 1
    4. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No problem Leah, with tinnitus it is tough to avoid the pit of despair sometime (I have my setbacks too!) However, when I do have a setback, I try to remind myself that my glass is half-full not half-empty....then I work to fill it back up to the top again! ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I believe in the 'Back To Silence' thing so strongly that there's no reason for me to believe I should act any differently on a bad day. Matter of fact, I had a whoppin' spike the other day. It was kinda hard to keep my cool. It felt like the old days. But I just did my thing and it turned out to be a calm day pretty much. The next day my T was back to its normal volume and out of my conscious mind. I was kind of surprised. It was a pretty loud spike and gone as quick as it came. I'm wondering if this technique had something to do with this nice surprise. I'll tell you what, on that bad day I felt more in control than I used to.

• Like Like x 3
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I handle them like @erik .. I tell myself, "it's only for now," then try to find something else to occupy my mind until it fades. Which it always does.

I don't think there is anything wrong, or any reason to feel ashamed, with occasionally having a pity party. Most of us do, at some point. I just try to keep my parties very brief. And I don't invite anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good advice everyone, just needed a little reassurance today.

8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      My tinnitus seems to cycle so I have spikes a couple times a week. Whenever I have a low T day or two it seems to come back with a vengeance. It used to really upset me because I was disappointed but now it's just part of the routine. A good day or two...a bad day with spike. Last week I had 4 low T days in a row. The 5th day was pure spike since awakening. I get through it--I just mask a bit and go to work. I used IWLM's method during the spikes --measured my reaction--which was just disappointment--not really emotional--and I got on with things. It does become kind of normal after a while. Self pity is not a sin--it's a real feeling and every once in a while it's okay. Just don't get lost in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      i have a super spike today but it is also my day off so I went fishing for steelhead and lucked out with a wild 10lb doe which I released. What a day! That darn T was so loud. We have been raining here in Vancouver for the last weeks and the salmon river is very high. I fished the rapids and believe me, those rapids were raging & roaring with white foams, and yet I could hear my dog whistle above the raging rapids. Go figure. The dog whistle T rings with such a condensed energy that it cuts through everything during the super spikes. But like Kathi, I don't care about T high or low now and it fades from consciousness most of the time.

• Like Like x 4
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Kathi!
      Interesting how T changes, always makes me wonder. What brings on the good days and what causes the challenging days.

11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Wow Billie, that sounds like quite the adventure. Sounds awesome!

12. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Sounds a great day, and what an inspirational post.

• Agree Agree x 1