"I Would Not Believe Anyone Who Says That a Cure Is Just Around the Corner"

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Raindance74, Jul 30, 2014.

1. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm not holding my breath for GenVec either.
      I think it would be a very good idea for you to discuss with him the potassium channel research that's being done, maybe they would consider starting their own little side program.
      Tell him curing tinnitus would get him the Nobel Prize just as much as curing hearing loss.
      Show him the rat study where every little rodent was cured even after 6 month tinnitus onset.

2. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Sounds rather generic though.

3. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    4. Tom Soria

Tom Soria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't care about a cure right now all i want is a reduction in volume so i can live a normal life just like everyone else

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's totally tosh...Trobalt proves that they can treat tinnitus. Some doctors can be really depressing but he's not developing these drugs.

6. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Not being privy to the conversation, I can only speculate that Dr. Heller was speaking of a hearing loss cure. Substances already exist to cease T for a period of time...pop a Molly (ecstasy) and enjoy the silence. Hopefully the Australians figure out how to isolate the active ingredient, so one doesn't need to stoned to achieve the silence:)

• Creative Creative x 1
    7. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      My thoughts on the subject is that if Tinnitus is to be cured, the cause of it should be addressed. So, if that cause is hearing loss (acoustic trauma, old age etc) tinnitus will be cured along with hearing loss whenever and if that is possible. In my reasoning they are interchangeable, The more T you have, the more the hearing loss is and vise versa.

Other treatments than regenerating dead hair cells may exist and help (potassium channels) but they may not result in a cure, not a permanent one that is. They could be something like a temporary cover of T, even cause some increase in hearing capacity, but not permanently. After all, many have bad and good days, which means tinnitus can be quite unstable. These drugs may stabilize the tinnitus levels to a much better state, even almost get rid of it for a short period of time. But it will be strange if our organisms maintain such a state without keep taking those drugs. This may be why the total cure should be expected from treating hearing loss, this may also be the cause why most do not mention tinnitus in their search for a hearing loss cure, or mention them altogether: They consider it to be the very same problem. The notion that they are 2 separate issues is not really justified, since the onset of them both is always at the exact same time.

About not having a cure in our lifetime it is only 1 man's opinion. It is pointless to discuss on that since nobody really knows when something good will come out, if ever. So many companies putting out all those timetables of their trials is definitely a fact and a hopeful one. Guessing about it will make no difference. It can only discourage people that need hope.

This forum serves in another capacity than only providing information: It provides hope much needed to us who suffer. This is why most spent their time here. To get that preciously needed hope to carry on. I think it would be best to keep an optimistic look on this condition, we need that more than anything. Always based on facts that is...

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, considering they can do it within 10 years I call bs lol

9. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
    10. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi, thanks for this information,

I don't know the mechanism behind pharma and FDA nor I can tell if this book tells us the truth...
      But I see always the same pattern.
      If there is i.e. something like a cow milk industry, you will find an opposite industry who is telling i.e. milk is 80% cause for cancer, so let's drink soya or rice milk.
      So if there is something big, you will always find some opposites, conspiracy or whatever.
      Concerning Pharma, yes it's big money and I'm sure there are many regulatory odds. But it is not possible,,that all runs the odd way.

Is otonomy the same? Is Genvec the same?

11. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Tinnitus needs several cures. We won't have cures for all etiologies within the next 50 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
      Several companies are now looking into a cure or treatment for ear diseases... this alone creates a snowball effect that draws others into funding research just so they can have a patent on potential new treatments. Remember that ear medicine are pretty much uncharted territory with MILLLIONS of future clients. There is big money to be made.

The race is on. ;- )

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Haha...It's a billion dollar industry! Thank the lord there are more people getting tinnitus and hearing loss as it encourages companies to invest in that area...I know that sounds horrible, but this be the way of capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
      Yup. :- ) The internet and forums like this also helps in giving companies an idea on how much need there is for a treatment (market analysis). The more noise we make the better.

It might not lead to a cure tomorrow or in the next 5 years. But we can sure it's being looked in to.
      We just need that one lucky "ah-ha" moment.

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      There should be treatments within 5 years...Technically trobalt is a treatment, but has horrid side-effect, so it's the waiting game now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jokko
      Amazed

Jokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I think that a treatment for hearing loss isn't around the corner but a treatment to improve/eliminate tinnitus is around the corner

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
    18. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      Since decades every two year the newspapers made us hoping by writing: "cure for tinnitus will there be soon".

But still there is nothing to stop T.

In the hospital my neurologic doctor and also my ENT said:
      "Forget it, there will never ever be a cure for tinnitus. The brain are too complex to make a cure".

Ofcourse you might have hope, but I think it's false hope.
      Better is learning to live with it.
      I am trying. It's hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      yes, now we have to live with it that's true. An ENT said the same to me.
      But I believe, for some forms of T will be a cure, or almost a treatment to lower it. But to say there will never be a cure for this problen didn't got the latest advances in research.

20. Jokko
      Amazed

Jokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Acoustic trauma tinnitus will be fixed in the next five years

• Useful Useful x 1
    21. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Forget the silence
      Best cure is no cure
      For the moment. ..............

22. c0ldsun
      Pacman

c0ldsun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      I'm confident with all the projects going on that we will see some outcome within the next 5 years.
      Eg. AM101 will be the first medcine that will treat acute T and who says that it will not help for chronic T? Probably only a question of dosage and how many injections you get.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      But then you, as a company, wouldn't want a cure, would you?

It is false hope. Because T does not exist for most people. And too many people learn to live with it, which is another confirmation that there's really no need for a cure.
      I cannot live with T.
      And I have no intention to do!

24. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
      It's a free market so it's not up to the companies to decide. If someone finds a cure then screw the daily pill company. That's why competition is so important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      why always this theory about companies which are developing daily pills and not cures? This is just speculation, nothing else. Are Auris Medical or Otonomy developing pills?
      Are the trial aiming to get monthly injections? So you see, it's not the case.
      There are standards in medicine.

By the way, homeophatic drugs is like taking everyday pills ;-)

26. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      This thread is painful. Is there a way I can hide it so I never see it?

• Like Like x 2
    27. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ignore most of what you read...Trobalt can lower tinnitus, so it's possible to treat it and lower it, maybe not cure it...But who needs a cure when we have low tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Exactly Danny Boy!

29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you. I just don't want people to be discouraged from thinking we won't be treated when we will, trobalt is proof enough. Autifony will pull through and treat us I'm sure of it!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    30. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I dont believe thats its not a problem for 60,000,000 an climbing. Its a problem for a large contingent of the armed forces to have such depression and anxiety. Suicide in the US involves a high incident of T/H.
      The company that cracks the golden egg with a cure or relief will make billions! What I cant stand are articles that refer to T/H as bothersome a nuisance... That could be farther than the truth. It melts you away with, you cant play music, be in social places. Phobias and anxieties can demoralize people. I dont know how much the US gov is investing in this sickness. Yet I feel they are letting vets and their citizenship down. Ill bet they spend more money on commercials than research for T/H! If its 20-30 years off a huge number of Americans and civilians of the world will die waiting.

• Agree Agree x 1