"I Would Not Believe Anyone Who Says That a Cure Is Just Around the Corner"

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Raindance74, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jokko
      Amazed

Jokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I have mild tinnitus like 1-2/10 but i very shitty. I sleep very good i don't have problem like depression or other illness. But i want have 0/10 tinnitus...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok, I think some members would be jealous of you already...No need to gloat. Anyway, chill be lucky you have 1-2 rather than 10/10!

3. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I dont log on here much anymore. I see @Danny Boy is flying the flag of optimism here. Fair play to you Danny. Yes Autifony Will deliver a treatment. As you say a side effect free Trobalt is Good enough. Also the scan of the brain which is activated during tinnitus takes away nothing from the fact that if you calm down the auditory cortex it doesnt manifest Into a sound. This is all we care about... the sound. The rest of the brain can do what it likes as Long as the end result is not a phantom sound...

Try not to stop hoping. Do TRT and wait for autifony... Its got me back on my feet anyway.

Luck to all

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
      It's not just optimism. There are tons of animal studies that show Tinnitus can be cured. We might not share exactly the same kind of brain or hearing mechanism. But there are enough similarities that should give us hope for a cure in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Absolutely - It's not just hope it's science. The scientists in Autifony are very confident they can switch off Tinnitus. Lets face it these are the first folks to be giving it a real try. All of the Sound and Ear based solutions (We now know) were never addressing the issue of neuronal excitement in the auditory cortex directly. If HIFU works - Autifony will work (Same solution)....

However what also works is coaxing your brain into ignoring the sound on a subconscious level. This also works.... And is a good stop gap in the meantime.

Laters

RCP1 out

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Right on guys!

Thinking about what the Dr. said about a "cure" not being around the corner, for whatever they were actually talking about, I don't see that as discouraging. There are many health ailments that don't have a "cure", but do have "treatments". There's no cure for cancer, so to speak, but there are numerous treatments that'll keep people alive for years, or a lifetime depending. If an AUT pill per day keeps my T away, that's as good as a cure in my book.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Discovery1
      Balanced

Discovery1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I think for a lot of people a cure for T is the end of the phantom sound. If this is combined with careful behavior around noisy areas in general, then yes it all can seem like back to normal even if the real inner ear damage isn't directly cured. While the scientists refine their hair cell/nerve cell regeneration strategies, at least we can have the bliss of pure silence until then I hope.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I'm a cynic and that won't change. The information that put me to this point just continues to become more and more exposed in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

When you have the FDA that isn't independent of the pharms. and medical "studies" that are flawed and accepted (without correction by the company or FDA), you know we're living dangerously.

Tying in the topic, saying a cure is just around the corner is marketing and keeps hope alive for many. But, the dates keep being pushed back more and more - that's reality. The saddest thing about this all is:
      1. I didn't expect a change in my lifetime but I'm in my early 60s not 30s.
      2. I'm really sorry your hopes (they are just expectations - you don't know) have been smushed.

We don't know what the medical future holds for tinnitus. You've really got to use your noodle to the best of your ability and go in search of what you believe may help you. You, therefore, become YOUR hope. Hey, it's 24 hours+ of no tinnitus in one part of my brain. I did what I could to pluck out pieces from this forum to pave my own path to this craziness. Is the tinnitus gone coincidentally? I don't know but it is gone for now. Maybe the cards that were dealt to me were magic :) .

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I was talking to a ENT and i said to her:,,There is a drug named AUT00063. It reduces Tinnitus and it will come maybe 2020 to the Market.´´
      She said:,, Ahaha trust me, there will be never a drug to cure T. I hear something like that since 20 Years.´´

10. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      The majority of ENT's don't have a clue what's being researched or trialed for T...as evidenced by you telling her about AUT. I'm sure there are some folks at Auris and Autifony who'd strongly disagree with her.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Stop discussing Tinnitus ( a Brain disorder) with ENT's. You may aswell have a chat about it with your local butcher next time youre in. In fact they probably know more about the brain .. they at least know it makes tasty sausages. Enough of the ENT's people! Over the last 20 years no solution addressed the issue head on so stop depressing people with this negative tosh. This is a new era..

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 3
    12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      ENT's no nothing about tinnitus really. My doctor always relied on the ENT to tell them how to treat me...How foolish is that? I would protest saying they don't have a clue, but my doctor would ignore me...

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Actualy, in my country an ENT is considered responsible for this. If you go to a neurologist or neurosurgeon, he will tell you what are you doing here? Go to an ENT. And of course, ENTs have little knowledge about the subject. So it is a dead end actually. There are simply no doctors dealing with this condition than a very few well known worldwide. How many patients can they see?

It is so sad...

• Agree Agree x 4
    14. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      While I agree it's in the brain, evidently, it can also be in the cochlea.

T doesn't exist for most people and never will.

Before T it was of no interest, and so will it be for everybody else. The only thing I knew was that you can get it through loud noise. That's what basically the majority knows. Many believe that those with T simply didn't protect themselves. Sad world.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      If T is ever "cured" in my lifetime, I'm throwing the largest party ever known to man/women and everyone on this site is invited free of charge!

Sailboardman

• Like Like x 15
    16. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I will definitely come with my family and travel through Florida again - as I did long time ago. (y)

• Like Like x 6
    17. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "While I agree it's in the brain, evidently, it can also be in the cochlea."

I agree with NiNyu, I had zero T, before my cochlea was wiped out. I also had, zero anxiety & stress and was living life to the fullest, with pure happiness and peace.

Yes, the brain is just reacting to the hearing loss and trying to patch in the missing sounds, but you would think the brain could adapt faster and realize, that component is dead and isn't coming back to life. Why stress out the rest of the body over it.

For me, I still have one good ear, so my brain, should just switch over it's warning assessment system, to the good ear and shut the bad ear down. Apparently, The brain, has no self diagnostic tools, whatsoever. It's a primitive system at best.

Agreed, T is a complicated issue, but should have been figured out by now. If only half of the money spent on cell phone technology, or the cosmetics industry, was diverted to Tinnitus research, we might stand a chance, of getting a cure within 5 years.

Sailboardman

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, SBM, but it doesn't work that way. Our world is centered around marketing and selling. Five years is just a number that seems to keep changing. People with issues (when they are a lower % of the population) will remain that way or in that tier for quite a while.

19. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      vzk4ugybqqo1xxttxcp5.jpg

This picture represents over 30 years of progress in video game graphics.
      On the left, Indiana Jones in the video game version of Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari 2600.
      On the right, Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 on the PS4.

Who would have thought? Like with weather, predictions beyond the near future are not accurate.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
    20. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      How about some real relief before a real cure. Its called evolution. Some meds that are explicitly made for T and H
      not for epilepsy. Although it appears there are some similarities between the two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Even though they are two different fields, software & medicine, the practices in the software industry with constant iteration and novel approaches being the normal is becoming pervasive, especially in medicine. I can only hope those working on it get to a "right" solution.

22. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Brianna,

Agreed, the world revolves around marketing and selling, however with the many companies researching a cure for T now, there has to be a market to sell to. Otherwise, why would they reasearch at all?

Yes, having chronic, severe T, is on the low end of the percentage scale for sure, however, if you were to add those percentages up worldwide, they would amount to millions. Plus, adding the fact, that our current world appears to revolve around loud noises, a smart pharmaceutical company, is poised to make millions, not only on current T sufferers, but the millions of T sufferers to come.

These guys are smart and can smell potential money and profits, light years ahead. They have already convinced the masses, that they need drugs, to help them manage their day to day living, thus making billions. They will figure out a way to convince the public, through smart ad campaigns, they need an anti-Tinnitus med, to prevent T, from entering, their already, noise filled lifestyles. Sales to us who currently suffer, will be an added bonus. That's only if a cure is made available sooner than later.

These same pharmaceutical companies, not actively researching themselves, have internal watchdogs, peering into new areas of research, ready to pounce on any opportunity, to make a killing. Some, even invest in the researcher, closest to yielding a potential winner. This helps, push the product closer to market. That's the essence of marketing and selling. Seeing a potential market and arriving with a "patented" product, before anyone else does. A win, win postioning.

Sailboardman

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    23. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't deny what you're saying and I don't say that too often, Sailboardman. I suppose the open and global economy helps here because we can add more people to the number of us who have tinnitus. The numbers (as you clearly write) will be monitored and let the drug testing begin.

god, the thought of another marketing campaign for a product that will likely be limited in reach sounds crazy. But I know that Claritin (the allergy med) is the most widely advertised drug here and according to reports (I don't know if they're biased ... I suspect not) it's the least effective drug to use.

You're in Sarasota, home of the white sandy beach. I hope you can use that to help tune out the T. It's lovely down there.

24. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Brianna,

Yes, I'm at the beach walking everyday! the waves mask my T almost 100%. It's sometimes hard to leave. Although, when I do leave, I head to a Tiki bar, right on the water and have a beer. They always have someone playing a guitar and singing, plus, the background noise drowns out my T. Sounds like you have visited, our little paradise under the sun?

I can tell you Brianna, having this condition, is something I could have never imagined happening to me. Like most here, I didn't have a clue, what it was until I awoke and heard it, last April 21st. In my opinion, it's the worst condition anyone could ever get. Weird thing is, my Mom, Brother and Sister, have had it for many years and I never knew it! They say over time, you don't notice it anymore. I still find that hard to believe.

Btw, my real name is Les.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Word! It is the worst there is. No other ailment gives you 24/7 hell with the prospect of years to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Like so many here, I have seriously thought of shortening those "years to come!" it's a maddening condition at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Same here, can't take it much longer. This is torture beyond sanity. I can't sleep anymore. Masking doesn't work anymore. It just gets worse. I consider taking heavy drugs now. Preferably Pentobarbital -- if I should get it.

It's utterly ridiculous that after so many years there's still ZERO for this extreme condition. But probably no wonder since it's heavily downplayed and not taken seriously. It's insane!

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. Fretux
      Batty

Fretux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Hey, sorry where is that place where they do such audiograms up to 16 kHz? Is it in Leipzig? That would be really nice to know! Thanks...

29. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Read his message again! He said nowhere in Germany is there a place that does it!

Wrong! Terminal diseases you know the outcome. Tinnitus CAN get better.

30. Fretux
      Batty

Fretux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Thank you, yeah I read that and thought that could mean nowhere but there -> Acqua Klinik -> Leipzig. But still, would be good to know if there is a place at least somewhere where they do such audiograms...