If I Can Get Your Opinion (Grinding Noise in Ear, TMJ, Seeing a Dentist or Oral Surgeon?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike L, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Hello!

So I have had my T for about a month and half now. I have seen a GP and a Dentist. I go to my ENT on the 22nd.

Any way my question I want to ask everyone is this: My GP did a test where she had placed her fingers in both of my ears and had me open and close my jaw. In my left ear I could feel something bone like pushing into her finger and making a grinding noise inside of my ear. It really does feel like a bone pushing into my inner ear on the left side where I have my T the worst. I don't feel this on my right ear.

The Dentist said maybe TMJ and did a full x-ray of my jaw. his outcome was along the lines of stressed muscles in my jaw that weren't releasing completely when relaxed.

From what I have read TMJ is more of jaw clicking and popping. Mine is something pushing up into my inner ear.

Do you all think I need to go see another dentist or should I go to an oral surgeon?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A dental mouth guard should help you with TMJ problems and keep your jaw in its right place and over time any inflammation should settle.
      It your tinnitus is TMJ related you should feel the benefit as the guard will take away any jaw pressure that is right by your middle ear.....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @glynis Thats the thing. My GP seem to think TMJ, but my dentist I felt wasn't very confident in his diagnosis. Even after I told him what the GP did and how she could feel something in my ear pushing into her finger as well. IDK maybe im over thinking this whole thing. it just sucks right now. Im up and down and happy and sad about it. Big ole dumb circle of emotion.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I know how you feel the unwanted emotions and the sound itself.
      Least your dentist did a xray and he must think a mouth guard isn't needed.
      See how you are in a few months time as time is a great healer as we develop better coping skill......lots of love glynis

You might find talking therapy good as helps talking things through.