If the Cure for Tinnitus Appeared Tomorrow, How Much Would You Pay for It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vkis, Jul 28, 2013.

?

How much would you pay for a tinnitus cure?

1. $500

2. $5,000

3. $10,000

4. $25,000

5. $100,000+

6. $250,000+

7. $500,000+

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Vkis

Vkis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2012
      If the cure for tinnitus appeared tomorrow, how much would you agree to pay for it?
      I bet 20 000 USD.

2. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Depends on how much money I had. A lot. Actually I already pay for tinnitus research as well before getting a cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Everything I own, simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Nothing, because it should be reimbursed by social security.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    5. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      For 100% free I pay the Price.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I agree with James White, this should be paid trough the tax bill. Hypothetically, to be 100% cured from both T and H I would pay what it cost. End of story. Let that be a motivation for any giant pharmaceutical company out there. Find a cure.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Here's one for you.Watching some young soldier being interviewed with no legs (afghanistan)

so...To get rid of your Tinnitus you have to swap places....would you???

Bearing in mind 3 years ago I had very, very dark thoughts... and it still drives me to depression, obsessiveness, constant ear pressure pain..no I wouldn't.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Peace of mind is worth something very dear to me. When I'm dead and gone from this lovely place I won't get to take the shirt off my back. I would live under a bridge if it meant that I got to be tinnitus free. Some may think that I am joking, but I am not.

Trade my legs for no tinnitus? That's a difficult question. I think questions like these are always beside the point, we will never (most likely) be faced with such a question in actuality, so we can't place any real value on it. But I think I would remember my what my grandpa used to say: "Trust the devil you know over the devil you don't." I honestly think it will be easier for science to cure tinnitus than regrow a pair of functioning legs.

I signed up for the GRE, by the way. I'll put in an application at some select schools. I have picked out several programs that really tickle my fancy. We'll see if they think I'm good enough.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      You are all invited.I think it is best to do the cure in germany.When it comes you are all invited to stay in my house in wedel outside hamburg.Then we make a big party (not too loud music) jes

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      having no legs is a small price to pay for disabling tinnitus cure. problem is since tinnitus is a phantom auditory pain, having no legs may induce severe phantom limb pain - since the tinnitus brain is probably susceptible to phantom sensations. However I wouldnd't think twice about trading since it would be at least quiet in my head.
      It all depends how bad your tinnitus is-simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      While i would still pay a lot for a complete cure if had money, i now wouldn't trade any part of my body nor any ability to get rid of the tinnitus. I still hate it but it doesn't disable me anymore so i wouldn't want to get a disability, even a small one.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      my right testicle, and $18.00 USD, and if Hudson would let me live under the bridge with him I'd be ok with that....

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Jes Im on the way!!!!;)

14. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Dan

I know what you mean mate. I cried today and as a former seargent in the RAF Regiment when I was younger that is not easy to admit to but we are all mates here.

15. Kellster
      Furious

Kellster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My right. Hand! Then the left to cure my migraines! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. 2014winner
      Inspired

2014winner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otitis media with permanent hearing loss
      I would try to make arrangements to buy it even though my income is limited at the present time. If it were proven and effective and worked for me, is the qualification

17. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Well, prostheses is an option. I think it would be impossible to compare the conditions too. I do however know that I would risk my life to bee free from T. If the odds where 20% chance of dying I would risk the operation. As long as the outcome was 100% cure if I survived. Anywho, let's just conclude that everyone with a life altering condition would do a lot to get well.

18. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

So you mean like 200 bucks a month from your taxes :D

19. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      hehe not so much !! i pay something like 80 euros / month for social security, but i live in France, best health system worldwide :)

20. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

Somehow I believe that if I knew I could just pop in a pill whenever I wanted to get rid of tinnitus for a while I wouldn't even feel that bothered by T anymore. It's a control thing.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
    21. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Interesting question and replys.

I get most of my Tinnitus treatment at the VA hospital..They ask a lot of personal questions as to how T effects your personal life..

One question my doctor said they once asked was "What would you give up to cure your tinnitus" It was not uncommon to hear " an arm'' or "a leg" as the answer.

I have often pondered that question. As to money I would give up as much as I could afford or borrow or steal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      How loud is your T?
      I would do anything as well

23. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Well, T is basically a brain disorder and you can't have that organ replaced. There's no way to operate the auditory cortex to cure T as of yet, no medicines to take, no cure. If you loose any limb you can replace almost anything with a modern prostheses, I've seen people with so real life looking prostheses that you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. With wearable technology so much of todays physical injuries can be fixed to a point where life goes back to being 90% normal. My life is far from 90% normal with severe T&H, perhaps it will reach a better percentage in the years to come, but I would say my life is considerable less worth right now. Perhaps as much as 45% went down the drain when this hellish noise started. Perhaps even 50%. So would I sacrifice a limb for a T cure? It's so hypothetical but on paper I guess I'm saying I would. On the other "hand" I have no clue how a life really IS with a prostheses and I would hate to underestimate it or disrespect anyone that struggles with it - but the aspect of eternal head noises and hypersensitivity is still worse in my book. But the strange thing with this condition of ours is HOW each individual is coping. So I guess it's the same with people that loose an arm or a leg.

There's one thing that I would never switch for and that is paralysis, especially those that goes from neck down. I have so much respect for the people that live large with that condition. Also being both deaf and blind, can't imagine how that must be, especially if it occurs late in life when you have all references to a normal life. Not to forget those who are 100% deaf with severe T. I saw an interview with a blind person that lost his sight when he was over 40. He said that it was ok cause he had already seen so much in life - that impressed me and made me think. Wow, some people are great at dealing with setbacks, I guess its a mental strategy. It's impressing. Something to learn from indeed.

Writing this I feel I have a lot to live for, in the darkest despair there's always something to grasp onto. Something bigger than me, I believe I have become a more humble character after T and I think a little differently on life strategies now. More compassion perhaps also, without sounding too melodramatic. T is a life changer, that's for sure...

• Like Like x 2
    24. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Very good thread and interesting question.

I would, without a doubt, give up my entire net worth including all assets to get rid of T.

I am relishing the day and clinging onto the hope I will one day hear silence again/be able to train my mind to better ignore the phantom sounds! More pertinently, I would love to be able to go to restaurants and shopping centres without ANY thoughts of "how loud is it going to be" For instance this evening I popped out for some late night shopping and my T just shot up volume, like my brain was turning up the gain to ensure I could still hear it (impossibly high hissing sound).

I honestly do believe that this day is coming soon!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes everything I own , and sell myself too if possible !

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      In case of need i will pay all life long. Extra work is better than living with a damaged and irritated cochlea..

27. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      I could give my right eye that is pretty useless anyway.

28. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      A finger: Yes

$100 000 only if I could only decide right now. But then I would pay anything I think i suppose.

The scary scenarios I have played with is who's lives I would sacrifice.
      I've had some dark thoughts here lol.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I have also been thinking that I would like to give my right arm for getting rid of this sound...

I am not sure about living under a bridge though. I think that is a very miserable life, I doubt homeless people are sleeping well, even if they might not have tinnitus.

I think during the day when I'm out and busy I'm not so much disturbed by T. But I would like to have this switched off at least for 2-3 hours in the evening when I want to relax. Would also be nice to have a quiet night once in a while.

30. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      But mostly you can do something to end your life on the streets, get support, find a job maybe, find a place to stay then... so that helps. But with Tinnitus there is just nothing we could possible do to make it better, that's why I always would choose a life under a bridge over Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1