If Tinnitus Is a “Brain” Condition...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dginobile, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      I’m confused if Tinnitus is a problem with the brain and not the ears like many drs and researchers state than why when you get sick the Tinnitus becomes louder?

Why when you consume certain foods or drinks the Tinnitus becomes louder?

Why do certain if not most medications affect the level of Tinnitus?

Why does TMJ or clenching affect the volume of its not something with the ear itself?

If Tinnitus is a misfiring of nuerons and a response to the brains “fight or flight” system why would these things affect the tinnitus?

Why don’t anti anxiety meds lower it for everyone if it’s a brain condition?

I’m just having trouble understanding all of this.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      The brain contains 100 billion neurons and these can affect our nervous system. The brain is the masterpiece of our bodies, it signals pretty much all it's activities. I am not a scientist or anything but the brain can signal our joys and our pains. All those elements you listed can possibly affect our mind...

The MIND is the biggest asset, one has to control their affliction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jack Sparrow
      Drunk

Jack Sparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One Month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      The masterpiece of our bodies?!? Really!!?! We have tinnitus! This masterpiece has rendered my life worthless.

Captain Jack

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Actually, science knows very little about the cause and determinants of tinnitus. Anything that happens from the middle ear on into the auditory cortex affects tinnitus. There is no real equivalent of tinnitus in any other sensory system so there is no other measurable abnormality to compare it to. There are, however, lots of theories so you can choose the one you like the best !!

Having said that, the theory I like the best is that the brain functions as a balance of 'two brains' - one that is excitatory and one that is inhibitory. If there is loss of hearing at the auditory nerve level (inner ear) then the brain loses the excitatory component and there is only inhibitory signals - ie. tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @Dr. Ancill Thank you for your reply but what about individuals with perfect hearing that have tinnitus? Or those with terrible hearing loss but no Tinnitus?

6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      my T is head so I think its more brain, also when I had 3 audio and it showed nothing, and they would not sell me hearing aids, but I did get masker from one audio. Also, when I got anxiety that came along with T which is brain,due to I think my anxiety didn't come from ear. It just my take on it.

7. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      When it goes wrong its really not fun is it. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      This is what tinnitus is, the noise comes from the hair cells talking to each other. The more cells that are dead the more the rest of whats left need to start shouting. Got to think our ears were designed 10,000 years ago, the more sensitive they are the less likely we are to die. Everything effects T because anything we put into our body effects our brains. When i drink alcohol it actually stops the noise but my brain is still confused so while i can't hear the tone anymore i can still feel the T in my head. Its very bizarre.

9. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012

Incorrect, the brain is a slow and highly unstable organ, just look at what happens to quality of life when sense organs age. They have been lying to us for years about this. The senses take complex information and "dumb it down" into simplified action potentials that the brain can more easily understand, the "hi-tech" is the information perception itself, NOT the CNS response after the fact.

Not processed, but live in the moment.
      Direct perception - Gibson's bottom up...

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      You are not confused, you are just able to spot the nonsense as you can see it for yourself.
      Cognitive neuroscience is an absolute scam. The mathematics behind perception are the real goal for understanding our physiology.
      PJ Treffner - Direct perception and ecological...