I'm 19 Years Old with Moderate Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Connor O'Toole, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Connor O'Toole

Connor O'Toole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe through overexposure to sound? unsure.
      Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I haven't seen any doctors for diagnosis or anything, but I know I have Tinnitus. (hence why I am here) I am 19 and I started noticeably hearing this ringing around the age of 17 or 18, I really don't remember. (I am 19/5 now) I am in College and I go to school for Audio. I make hip hop beats and music all the time, and I am exposed to loud noise often, but I do my best to take care of my ears.

My Tinnitus sounds almost exactly like that sound that an old television would make when that channel comes up with the black and white dots on the screen, that super high pitched sound. I plan on visiting the doctor, but on the daily I am very cautious of head phone/speaker monitor volume, playing it as low as possible. I hear the ringing especially in quiet places, or even with just a pair of headphones around my head.

I wanted to ask everyone what kind of experiences they have, and what you guys have done to help your Tinnitus out? Thanks!

2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm a 14 year old producer from utah, have had tinnitus for a year

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Since there may not be enough members reading the Introduction, perhaps you can browse the Success Stories (in Knowledge Base) where people share their experiences and strategies how to get better. Your T as you say is mild. So try to stay positive that it will get better and better. The more positive we are, the less T is bothersome as we can keep stress level down by being positive. Take good care. God bless.

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @Connor O'Toole , and welcome.

The "black and white dots" from the TV is "static" and that is what they would display when not tuned to a channel that was broadcasting. The tone (usually a hissing sound) was, again, the result of the TV being tuned to a channel (this is from the time before cable television).

It is good to be cautious about headphones, @Michael Leigh wrote a very informative post about the risk of headphone use:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-and-tinnitus.12062/

it is worth reading.

For general information about tinnitus, I would suggest another post from Michael:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

@billie48 is correct, staying positive is important, and may be too modest to suggest you read this, but he wrote a great, and very helpful, post about positivity and how it helped him with his tinnitus:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Like the other links I gave, absolutely worth the time to read.

I would also suggest, to answer your question about everyone else's experiences, read the "Introduce Yourself" posts, they would be a great sample of people's experience because, in most of those posts people answer precisely that question (as you did in your's).

I wish you well, and hope you find what you need here. Please keep up updated on your progress and if you have questions, post them (in the "support" section), there are people here all the time, and you should receive an answer fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 1