I'm a Student with Tinnitus. Any Tips for Studying? Please!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hope2015, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hope2015

Hope2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hello everyone! I have T for about 3 months...as I read here you all know my struggles, you know trough what I am going to. It is very hard to live for me and I used to have a very happy life. I try every day to stay positive but it is very hard. I cried a lot, I was to the ENT, the doctors didn't find anything wrong with my health...they just gave me a lot of meds, they told me my T it is maybe because of my stress, because of the exams or something like this. I have one more year and then I graduate. Sorry for lack of information, I will post someday the whole story, but until then can someone please tell me how to study with my T? It is possible to continue my studies? Is here any student in my situation? How do you study? I am so scared because I used to be a good student... Thank you for your answers!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome and sorry about your suffering with T while trying to study. At this initial stage of T suffering, it is normal to be a bit hard to focus and concentrate and trying to keep positive. Don't blame yourself for that and don't despair either. There are many young folks who have T and still studying. After the initial struggle, they do manage to study and get their degree. Some even going to medical school after T and so you should not be too worried about that.

Here are some people who have struggled very tough with their T initially but are continuing with their college/university studies.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/anybody-going-to-grad-school.7212/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-university-college-success.7997/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hope2015

Hope2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thank you very much for your answer billie48, I really appreciate! Even if I have it for 3 months it is very hard for me, I don't think I reached at that point to habituate but I would like to. My T is louder in the morning I don't know why, when I wake up, then I try to concentrate on other things and then calms down, or my brain ignores it(still hear it but not as loud as I do when I wake up). Every morning I wake up I learn to live again since I have it, I try hard to keep myself positive, keep my mind busy with other things otherwise I start to cry, I would cry in every morning if wouldn't get up and fast go and do something. It very hard for me. If someone has some other positive stories, or there are some students here that succeed in life, work, university please don't hesitate to share your story here, or to contact me, I would appreciate a lot. Thank you people!

4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I'm in uni as well , I'm 19

5. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm only 15 right now and I use working to keep me from thinking about tinnitus, put some music on and get some work out and its about that simple. I know since you've only had it about 3 months that will be hard for you, adjusting the first time isn't easy. But think of it like this, if you can study and succeed despite tinnitus your capable of so much more. I work and try to make sure I get good grades because of what it proves to me, you should try and use the same motivation. I know it must be really confusing as to why you got it, but try not to see all the bad, If you put your mind to it now it can make you stronger, I have had it for 7 years when I first got it my doctors were really unhelpful no one around me understood what it was and years after when they diagnose my condition they told me to live with i (atleast now my new doctors know what they are doing) but I'm happy even though I suffer from ear pain quite often, my ears never usually feel normal, and are always blocked, stuffy, hot or unbalanced . You can be happy, just remember that if you work really hard to adjust and you try to accept the change then move past it then I know you'll be like a lot of us on here who can just sit down in the quiet most the time and not even notice it. Best of luck :) Keep us posted

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Don't worry about the morning loud ringing, @Hope2015. It is a normal but a bit annoying phenomenon called Awakening Response by the Central Nervous System. I have it all the time, not just due to the AR by the CNS, but also because I have sleep apnea problem and sometimes I wake up with the brain oxygen deprived and sleepy. You don't want to hear that out-of-the-chart blasting of my dog whistle T as a result of this problem. It is way louder than normal because the CNS besides responding with AR, it also tries to signal a danger of lacking oxygen in the brain. I used as CPAP machine for sleep apnea but sometimes the face mask has leaking issue and the result is not pretty for T.

So I understand your pain. But I don't fear this and I just take it as a new normal in my life. Your brain will get used to this over time if you just stop worrying about it. If your T also slowly fades out during the day, count that as a blessing. Mine may not fade for the next few days. Positivity is a life force which can help you calm down. The less stress, the less intrusive your T will be. I suffered hell with my T & H a few years back but now I live a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. I fish, garden, exercise, travel, dance, sing, eat out, watch movie, spend precious time with family. T can go to hell while I enjoy a bit of earthly heaven. I wrote my success story and you can read it plus many others on TT's success stories forum. If you have the time, you can read it and see if some of my suggestions can help you.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Here is a link to Dr. Nagler's explanation of the Awakening Response with more detail and with medical perspective:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads...xiety-level-is-on-alert-why.9370/#post-111180

7. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Listening to some soft background music especially baroque type (not sure if I got the spelling right?) can help you study and remember stuff even if you don't have T. Perhaps that would help you.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hope2015

Hope2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thank you beautiful people for making time to write to me. You were very strong, I really appreciate all of you!I really miss my old life... :(

• Hug Hug x 2