I'm new and can use some advice.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by briano, Nov 6, 2013.

1. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hello,

My name is Brian and I have a hiss in my ears. It is all my fault too. Two months ago, I was listening to loud music for about 45 minutes a day for two weeks straight. I am a musician and was listening to some final mixes for a new CD. Because of this, I lost a little hearing in my left ear and now have a hiss in both of my ears. The doctor told me to try and ignore it and that perhaps my brain will learn to not hear the hiss in time. I'm trying to do that but it has been difficult. I am taking CoQ-10, YinVive Tinnitus and Clear Tinnitus. The hiss only bothers me when there is silence. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
      Brian

2. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Hello Brian,
      it's really a pity there isn't any medication yet to make the tinnitus away. It would be really nice. There are of course some things you could give a try, just check the treatment and research part, there are things you might consider. I personally wouldn't spend much money any more on a treatment that has no scientific prove. Some years ago I spent a lot of money for HBO (hyperbaric oxygen treatment) that didn't help at all. Now I would rather spent that money for a nice holiday to relax. That said, at the moment I am still trying taking supplements that were recommended here (magnesium, vitamin B12).

I think the advice your doctor gave you is actually quite right. As you describe your tinnitus as a hiss that bothers you only in silence, I'm positive you will learn to ignore it soon. Until then you could listen to for example nature sounds at low volume to make the silence not feel too bad.

I also think we should be more careful with protecting our ears from noise, at least my tinnitus seems to aggravate (sometimes temporarily) when I'm exposed to loud noises (concerts, cinema etc.).

• Like Like x 2
    3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      As annoying as it is, there are many who wish their T was low enough to only hear in silence.

Sounds like if it does not go away, you will be able to habituate quite quickly :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks Riikka! I am doing my best to try and ignore it. I just found out that I have TMJ too. Life has been rough the past two months!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks Amelia! I guess I am lucky that it isn't extremely loud. I'm just a bit down in the dumps right now.

6. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hi briano,
      i am a musician too , did not know the word tinnitus until i got it, needless to say i dont play in loud rock bands any more , i found drinking decaffeinated coffee or tea helped as well as low salt intake,but on the over all , positive thinking,you cannot change the past,the past can sometimes be regret, this is the present , sometimes things can change just from one day,we just have to deal with what is now, i use amitriptyline for sleeping as well as an air purifier with the fan on low,hope that helps my friend,take care,kevin(astronomer)

• Like Like x 1
    7. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Am i spotting a rickenbacker bass in your profile photo ? hehe

i'm also a musician... just to let you know, tinnitus is reaaaaaally common within the musicians community

• Like Like x 1