I'm New and I'm Having a Bad Day... Please Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Theresa175822, May 13, 2018.

1. Theresa175822

Theresa175822 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss
      Ok guys this is kind of new to me and it’s really doing me in. Today the high pitch is so loud I don’t know what to do... I went and got these hearing aids that play white noise in your ears but I can hear the high pitch sound right over the white noise...

Please someone help me out... it’s Mother’s Day and I just want to scream...

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Since your only 2 months in, the best thing i can say is that your kinda at the worst point right now and it should settle down over the next few months, but its a long process. In the mean time you need to work on managing it by doing things to take your mind off it and cover up the noise. This video helped me a lot, i still use it occasionally but my Tinnitus has reduced to the point now that this video is more annoying than the tinnitus. Stay positive it can go away and it will certainly get better to the point your able to live normally.
      10 Hour Best Tinnitus Sound Therapy Ever

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theresa175822

Theresa175822 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks so much.... my fingers are crossed...

4. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I agree with John Paul things get better with time if you're careful around loud noise. If you're new to t, like me, our ears are still very sensitive to loud noises. Try to avoid being around loud power equipment, vacuums, hair dryers, blenders, etc.. I didn't notice any softening of t until a little before 2 months and even then the changes have been very gradual. It will be softer a few minutes then loud again, sometimes even louder. I notice my t will get louder before it gets quieter sometimes. Do your best to not go to extremes, I know how hard that is and I've failed more than once.

This is my favorite masking video.

SOUND OF RAIN FOR STRESS RELIEF, TINNITUS...

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @john paul

Wow, you're really high pitched there. The chimes are piercing.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theresa175822

Theresa175822 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guys I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have someone to talk to about this.... thanks so much... I’m trying but I have to say today isn’t good... yesterday wasn’t bad at all but I keep listening to see if I hear it! I have to stop doing that I know.... I need to enjoy the good days I guess...

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Its natural to be always listening, it will be on your mind 24/7 unfortunately. I used to dread going to sleep as this is when id get to know just how bad it was. After a while though you kinda realise that its not going to just stop suddenly or get worse (usually) so you dont feel the need to keep checking on it (as much). I still check mine to reassure myself its getting better but i dont do it anywhere near as much as i used too. The video i posted literally probably saved my life, for some reason my tinnitus will just disappear as soon as i press play.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome!
      I have a hearing aid that plays some masking noise and it's never been able to mask my T either. When I was at the audiologist, we tried a few different sounds and volumes to mask my T and concluded that any sound that would mask it would be unsafe for me to be playing: it would be so loud that it would damage my hearing further.

So like you, I hear my T even with the masker on, and while it's not perfect, I do think it helps. I feel that alternating the use of the masker helps me. Like you I have high frequency hearing loss, so my T is possibly similar to yours in its characteristics.

Hang in there... things get better with time. Sometimes the T gets better (less volume), sometimes the reaction to it gets better (less anxiety).

Do you know the cause for your hearing loss?

Good luck!

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This is good news actually. If you have periods of time when it's not obvious that "it's there", then it means it's either not there or your brain is tuning it out. Both are positive outcomes. Give it time.

• Like Like x 2
    10. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yeah its high pitiched but not really high pitched, the chimes never really caused me any problems really but they seemed to help sooth my brain in some weird way. It might be some H you have thats kicking a reflex button maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Theresa175822

They say time is the greatest healer and with t it truly is. Whether out t improves or we get used to hearing it it's going to take time. Please don't think I have it all figured out. The best thing you can do is not do anything drastic and give it time. Things will slowly get better.

12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I can’t really add much more to what’s already been said. But, I will say that in my experience it really does get better with time, as the others have said.

13. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      @Theresa175822 Hopefully it gets better with time. Until then KEEP BUSY. The busier you are the better!

14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Does white noise on regular headphones mask your tinnitus? This is a long shot but if it does maybe you could try 12khz hearing aids such as the Signia 7nx. They also can play music through a smartphone via Bluetooth. I hope you feel better soon....often it just takes time.