I'm New, Any Suggestions How to Get Used to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mache_salinas, Mar 18, 2018.

1. mache_salinas
      Daring

mache_salinas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi all,
      I've had tinnitus with some hearing loss in my right ear for almost 2 months already. Not sure why, made many tests can't find any answer; probably because I used to drink a lot of alcohol the past 4 years and liked clubbing a lot plus ear infection a couple of times, anyways... it appeared one normal day out of nowhere.

This two months have been hell for me. I've been going to a university in the USA for 2 years already but I'm from Peru and I don't know if it is a mix of being homesick and missing my family and friends plus T. I just feel like out of nowhere, my happy and simple life ended. Every single day when I wake up I feel so down I don't want to get up and do the stuff I am supposed to do. I do it because I kinda have to but in the end even tho I do all my work, eat, hang out with friends, study... I just feel I am being fake to myself, I just feel like crap in the inside. I feel like every day is a battle between myself, my emotions and how I am not feeling well. Everyday I just do the things I do as a routine, I feel like I have nothing to look forward and I've become really negative when it is about me. T is affecting so much my life that I am afraid I can't be that nice happy dude I used to be. I am afraid of everything, the future, my life, my health.

There are even sometimes I just feel so bad that I focus on that and don't even pay attention to my t (lol I know thatI am weird). But I just don't know what to do, I keep thinking that I just want it to stop and regain my old life, listen to music whit headphones , going to parties with my friends and get drunk. I know I sound like a silly teenager but I am 19 and wish could keep living a young man life...
      I know it's to early to know if my T will stay or go away as a doctor told me, but I just feel so hopeless, I try to tell myself to not give up and be grateful that its just a noice in my head but can't really find any relief in that. It is always there, 24/7 draining my life making me feel like crap confused because I don't know how to deal with it, that stresses me and makes me even sadder.

I am sorry for this incredibly long "essay" but I just need to let it all out...

But please the main reason of my post, any help how can I deal with my T? How can i feel better or how do I start regaining my old life?

Sometimes I want to say fu** it all and to go home with my family and friends, but its my future what is involved. But at the same time don't want to feel unhappy as I am; maybe even going home won't fix anything and will feel the same plus the fact that i gave up my studies. I just feel confused, sad and hopeless.

Once again...If you reached this far thanks for reading and anything is appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Everything that you mentioned, can contribute to you having tinnitus. Tinnitus can be a difficult matter to handle especially for newcomers. You are quite brave to move away from your family and trying to get your education and path in life straightened out. Tinnitus is an emotional rollercoaster, you need to calm down and try to remain positive.

It's hard at times to do this especially when you miss your family and friends and now you have an annoying noise in your head24-7. There is no telling if your tinnitus will stay or disappear. I can tell you this much, stress can make it stay and even make it louder.

It's a hard choice you have to make, but if your future depends on this education....then sacrifice now and reap the rewards later in life. It's a tough one, but that's what I would do. I wish you the best of luck :)

PS- If this education gives you a better life and that is not available in your country, then consider this as well. In life we have to sacrifice ,at times to have a better life down the line. If your education makes your life better in the future, then try to get it done....while you are young.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yes. Hoe you don't have to.

4. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Most of the people here have also been in this dark place at some point. Have a read of the Success Story section. Most people do move on and lead a normal happy life again without a magic pill.

Also I believe the approach to dealing with depression is very similar to dealing with tinnitus, however you should also seek proffesional help as that should help you build confidence.

When I was in this dark place I made a vow to myself that I wasn’t going to let it stop me doing the things I love doing. Ok. I always use musicians ear plugs now when I play but it doesn’t effect my enjoyment.

Getting on with life is what helps distract ourselves from the T so it can fade away naturally. However we may also have to make some life changes to reduce the stressors which make the T worse due to anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
    5. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi @mache_salinas. So sorry this is happening to you. :huganimation:

Can you find out what resources are available at your university? There might be free psychological counseling, support groups for students who are away from home, clubs for students with tinnitus. Look for an office with a title like Student Services or Student Activities. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask a favorite professor, a student advisor, or even the office of the Dean of Students. They will be able to direct you to the right place.

A university is more than just a school. It is a community. Reach out for help.

I know you miss a lot of the activities you were doing before the tinnitus started, but there's no reason for you to miss out on friendships and fun. Maybe you can join or start a study group. (I know that's not "fun" but it might help you make some friends who would enjoy some quiet activities.) See what clubs are available and join in clubs that will not be loud. You may find there are other students looking for quiet but fun activities.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Mache, feel free to message me (i speak spanish as well)
      trust me I've been there, back in 2016 (when my tinnitus appeared out of the blue) i was very very depressed.
      right now my tinnitus is no big deal, and i can tell you with 100% honesty that it will get better.
      2017 was a great year for me, got to travel a lot, make music, go to concerts, go on a dates.
      you are gonna get through.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mache_salinas
      Daring

mache_salinas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I know it is a hard decision, sometimes I just want to feel better and go home but at the same time to think my future depends on it and want to stay. I hope the un happy moments don't win.

Yep, i love it because of that. I have always been a pretty outgoing person, I'm part of a couple of clubs and im attending the psychological services. They all help a little bit ( hope I don't sound ungrateful by saying this) but I feel it is not enough, sometimes I just feel really demotivated that even the idea of hanging with friends is not much relief.

I think I successfully sent you a message, thanks for the support :)