I'm Not Committing Suicide. I'm Being Murdered by Merciless Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bam, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Ditto my friend. Reduced from living a high achieving life full of purpose and dreams of the furture to 8 months of dog walking and sleeping. It’s literally all I can manage.

Like you at early onset it literally drove me insane. I vividly remember sitting in A&E with my brother, an emaciated, trembling, deeply paranoid mess. I had lost 2 stone in a few weeks, just like you, all my hair had fallen out. I had aged ten years in one month. I was begging doctors to kill me. Begging! All I could see in my brothers face was sheer disbelief that anything on earth could do this in such a short space of time. ‘How?’ He kept saying. ‘ I refuse to believe you can go from normal to this in 1 month’ He was genuinely shocked and bewildered.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      @Bam,

Like you, I had a trip to A & E shortly after onset. I was shaking and suicidal. I thought my cochlear implant might have been infected as I couldn't believe that "normal" T could manifest itself as a noise that overpowers the entire head with banging sounds, sound distortion, and physical sensations in both ears. I was having 2-3 hours sleep a night as various sounds kept waking me up. The Dr there was VERY dismissive of the mental health aspect saying I should see my GP. Helloooo? I thought that, if you were a suicide risk, you should seek emergency help. At that point, I didn't think I had the time to wait for a GP appointment. I was sent away with three sleeping pills and a referral to the ENT.

I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate that the volume turned down in June with the worst sounds (electrical zapping over my entire head) going away. I now have an ever present low tone: it's bloody aggravating, but a hell of a lot better than before. But even though the T itself seems to be improving (god knows how - I'm deaf and it shouldn't) the mental health effects have had a lasting impact and I'm now living in terror it will all start up again.

I know it's wrong, but I get SO annoyed at people going on about a maskable ringing - I mean, be glad you can't hear it around external sounds because mine seemed to be amplified by them! And don't get me started on the British Tinnitus Association: with a little "mindfulness" you too can accept the roaring in your head!

Are you also on Healthunlocked? I swear there is someone with your posting style on there (but won't out the username).

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      And yet never have I seen anywhere in medical or BTA literature anything about severe PTSD and tinnitus. The way I was presenting when I turned up at A@E the psych nurse could not believe I wasn’t a drug addict. He had no idea or training about what severe T can do.

Yep, I’m on Health unlocked. I guess I do have a recognisable style!

• Like Like x 2
    4. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Absolutely true!!! Enjoying life one minute and then feeling so desperate and anxious doing the simplest day to day tasks. To say this condition is exhausting is an understatement!!!! It’s totally demonic constantly torturing and taunting us. I think what makes it even more a bitter pill to swallow is that this was no self inflicted, for both of us so we are also dealing with that rage on top of this shit noise :(

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      @Bam

PTSD is right. I feel like my life is divided into 'before' and 'after' this insanity began. Life is presently lived at a very slow pace as I simply do not have the mental resources for anything else. It is an achievement to get out of bed knowing that you have to face the day with a schizophrenic orchestra in one's head. I am astounded that the brain can generate SO MUCH NOISE. I have done some research into Charles Bonnet Syndrome, in which people frequently hallucinate complex, vivid scenes in response to losing their eyesight, and the type of 24/7 we experience seems to be the audiological equivalent: it is a cruel trick - hey body, let's generate a racket to compensate for the missing frequencies/injury/whatever else!

I tend to drink a few glasses of wine at the end of the day - it's the only way to sleep and cope at present!!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Same. I never drank at home before this now I have to have a couple of beers at least. Not to go in to it but I’m already noticing other health problems slowly creeping up on me. To think of how physically fit I was before this is painful. As I told my doctor , who I actually find refreshingly realistic about the harshness of T, the self medicating drinking and occasional Valium she’s happy to supply, numbs me enough to get me through the evening but I’m increasingly worried about how much more suffering i can take. The truly dispiriting aspect and one that family and friends can’t grasp when they ask me, ‘don’t you think it might get quieter?’ is that whether the volume goes down or up, the point is the long shadow of T will always hang over us now. It’s like glimpsing something terrifying and being unable to ‘unsee’ it. So we spend the rest of our lives obsessing about our ears and noise and what we do/don’t do etc just o appease this horrid bully......It’s all so surreal and painful that a physical condition can wreak such havoc mentally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @Error404 i love your dogs by the way. I have a soft spot for Staffie’s because I think so many people don’t see how soft and lovely they are and my best mate has a Border like yours.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      @Bam,

Yup, have Valium as needed too! Though my GP is reluctant to prescribe it unless I'm having a major mental health episode. I'm on Sertraline for now which seems to be doing something in that my anxiety levels are coming down: I don't fear the T anymore, it's more how are we supposed to live another 30-40 years like this? I'm sure we'd feel vastly different if this struck us at, say, 80 than in our 30's!

Yup, even though the volume appears to have reduced in my case, the fear remains. It's awful going to sleep never knowing what you will wake up to, only that the T will, in some form, be there.

My audiologist used the analogy of the air conditioner in her office, saying that she doesn't notice it even though it makes a whirring noise. Yes, but she can leave her office or switch it off! We have no such option.

Thanks for your kind words about my dogs. It's the Border that can be a nightmare when strangers sometimes think it's the other way round!

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I just stepped outside so many dark eye floaters.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Perhaps she doesn't know that severe T is nothing like the air conditioner in her office.
      You have an opportunity to educate her, because if professionals think that severe T is like the AC in the office, we're not going to be taken seriously anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Lane no reason to be sorry it has been SO long now it is sorta just a part of my existence? At times it will bring me to my knees. There was a song by Sugarland that I think I posted in another thread and for me it is all about struggling with what tinnitus does. And a person who struck me down on my road to recovery.

I am doing okay and oh yes many different natural things like you describe! There are good days now more so than bad ones. I just get out and force myself to do what I can do.

Stand Back Up - Sugarland

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Exactly...this is why tinnitus is not taken seriously by the so called medical professionals.
      Your brain knows a difference between a noise coming from outside that is not a threat (since you can turn it off or walk away at any time) and noise that comes from inside your head that you can't do nothing about.

It is people like her, that I wish would experience the brutal torture and the terror of loud, high pitched debilitating tinnitus for at least couple of weaks, knowing that she will likely be stuck with it for the rest of her life.
      I'm willing to bet everything I have, that she would never ever make an idiotic statement like that again.
      People like her really piss me off.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      That is akin to someone whose been in a flight simulator during a pretend plane crash, trying to loftily tell someone in an actual real life plane crash it’s no big deal, relax.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I’ve said it before but to me the perfect analogy is like a nightmare version of Groundhog Day. I always think of the day in the film where a hopeless Bill Murray hits rock bottom, sees no way out and throws the toaster in the bath. .....I feel like I live that day every single day now.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I’m willing to bet she wouldn’t be in a position to make any statements to anyone because like a lot of us she would have had a total meltdown and lost her job.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is a pretty solid prediction...assuming she was still alive by then of course.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Absolutely!!! That’s what I can’t comprehend either! Scares me too much!!! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      With mine being self inflicted, trust me, the rage is still there. It is just directed at yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      You hit the nail on the head. It seems like a bad dream that you hope to wake up from.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      A friend of mine said the same thing too.... it’s shit either way!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really hope that the original poster of this thread Bam is ok...either way this is probably one of the greatest Tinnitus threads of all times, because it is so real and raw....there is no faking that one.
      Maybe the mods can make it a sticky, right under the "positivity" thread?
      This way there are both sides of the coin represented right off the bat, without the other side being marginalized and shunned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise

Just have hope and soldier on. There very well may be a cure relatively soon. I am sincerely considering trying adipose stem cell treatments at a clinic in Texas soon. I will certainly keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Mine is probably self inflicted too. Just forgive yourself and be patient.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      hi I am considering hypnosis to treat my tinnitus and anxiety linked to it, I have habituated for the most part but still have bad days and anxiety ALWAYS can you tell me about your experience and how it helped? Thank you

25. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Hypnosis can work but it depends on your personality...some people get very good results with it, some don't.
      It also depends on the hypnotist...the really good ones are very hard to find.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Bam

I get it Bam - I truly understand buddy.
      xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm shit scared to do it.

Every night I ask God to take me in my sleep or fix it for me or at least make it better.

I was never cut out for this world. Always said wrong soul in the wrong body in the wrong time and now I'm destined to see out my days with this shit in my head.

Looking forward to the day it's over, as long as its quick painless and I'm not around to see it coming.

It'll be over with one day.

• Hug Hug x 4
    28. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Bam the title of your thread here is in my mind every single day. There is something about it that is so unforgettable. Like you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      This is the state all of us who have it bad are left in.

This awful juxtaposition of wanting to get better, but also wanting to die. It’s without doubt the most perverse state any human can be left in. Like something dreamt up in the sick mind of a sadistic monster.

And the total incomprehension of how dreadful tinnitus is by those never afflicted by constant never ending noise in their own head, only adds more fuel to the frustration and misery.

You are not alone Allan. You truly aren’t.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to left ear made worse by ultrasonic dental clean 2019
      I am sitting here in a quiet room and my head is full of electrical pulsating noise. I am with you Allan and everyone else on this forum that suffers badly. Tinnitus destroys our existence. It is no longer a life to be enjoyed. I however or at least for now will just have to see this hellish life through. I wish for a cure or some medication to switch off this noise for all of us.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1