I'm So Worried, Don't Know What to Do

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I have been walking with ear problems for a good three months now. It started with a slight hiss, and the doctor established that my ears were inverted. I also have crackling, a messed up jaw etc.

Now since this problem I have been feeling a slight sensitivity to sounds, but I figured it was my inverted ear drum, nothing more, nothing less.

I went to the ENT and she said that my ears were normal, which is weird because I hear constant crackling and popping when I yawn and swallow. She told me its probably my eustachian tube thats not functioning properly.

After this she suggested I use my nasal spray again. Shortly after, I started experiencing an increased sensitivity to noise.

I work in a quite noisy environment (work shop), so them suddenly bursting out loud sounds is literally torturous for me right now. It started as a bit of sensitivity, but it has worsened dramatically.

I do not know what to do, I'm wearing ear plugs at work right now, but this certainly cannot be a long term solution, because I am 100% sure that wearing ear plugs increases this problem.

Do you guys think I have hyperacusis? And if so, what can I do about it? And what do you guys suggest I do to keep doing my job, that doesnt involve worsening my condition?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Suzerman,
      You might find noise reduction plugs better than just plugs as will filter sound to a safe limit.
      If you need extra things put in place to keep you in your work you could try-
      Ask for extra breaks
      Shorter working day
      Move to a area not so noisy to see if it will help you.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you do.

I would quit working at that noisy place. Your H ought to eventually resolve, provided you are not exposing your ears to noise that keeps irritating it. Having said this, you do want some sound in your life. Watch TV at the max volume that still doesn't hurt your ears. Try to gradually increase the volume, but don't make it louder than moderate volume.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Take care do what you have to do to protect your ears and let them heal. If that means finding quieter work then you should. Perhaps your work place could accommodate you with a different work place until your ears heal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Nasal spray: bad idea. It is probably a corticoid. If your eustachian tube is not working, give it time, a good year or two. A bad nose can make your hear in a different way, probably more muffled, and that's good if you suspect you have sound sensitivity. The use of a nasal spray is only going to make your hearing more sensitive, as you would hear louder.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sounds like a little sound sensitivity to me. If I was you I’d get proper ear plugs and see how you go.

Measure how loud sounds get with your phone. Your hearing is just not worth being affected by a job, if you feel it’s loud constantly then perhaps consider another job ?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Thank you everyone for your response! Its unfortunately very very very difficult for me to quit my job because its a family business. The noise isn't all day long. but rather unexpected bursts of noise occassionally because of the mechanics. I have bought a decibel meter though and have measured the noise,and they shouldnt reach decibels above 90. I would not really say its full blown pain, as much as it is a spasm that feels uncomfortable. Its like my ear cringes. So far Ive been coping by putting ear plugs in when the mechanics are making a lot of noise in one go, or when my ears are nagging me a little, and then I keep them in for about half an hour each time. Personally I think its a stress induced response that I have given myself because of my fear of noise because of tinnitus, so I do think I should keep exposing myself to noise, however, when I feel uncomfortable I do try to listen to my body and give my ears a little half an hour break from stressing over constant unexpected noise.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Ah, that explains so much. I was starting to get noise sensitivity when I was taking nasal sprays. My doc really messed up everything.

9. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yeh if it only reaches around 90 with ear plugs I think youll be fine . If it’s 90 constantly perhaps take breaks in between, but from what u described I think you just need to relax a little more about it (easier said than done I know!)

I have sound sensitivity from sound trauma (an ambulance siren) but given time and learning to relax around sound it has improved considerably.

If your extra worried, then perhaps even consider musicians earplugs, they re more expensive but as they are a good compromise if you are worried about sound :) .

10. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I can't say either way, but if that's how your systems react, I doubt it will change because you tell yourself those sounds are fine and then try to plodder on.

My experience is that if the body develops a certain weakness, you can't overcome it by bracing yourself.

The strategy I would use is to carry foam earplugs all the time at work. That would lower my stress level since loud and sudden noises feel less threatening to me if I know I have proper protection. Basically, I'd minimize the pain and settled for living with the remaining suffering.

11. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.

Thats my thinking to. I was prescribed a steroid spray, but I dont want to use it for fear of side effects.