Imagine That a Cure Is Found. Then What Happens :-)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pero1234, May 14, 2018.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Imagine... the day has arrived. Phase III was successful.

Frequency or another company did it, they found the cure to reverse hearing loss and as a consequence a majority of tinnitus cases.

(Bear with me ;-) )

What would be the implications from there?

I would think that the meds would still need to be approved by US (FDA?) and Europe separately?

Would it get fast-tracked? What does that mean?

Considering that HBOT is considered a standard treatment in some countries and not supported in others. Could the drug be available quicker in some countries than others?

Demand would be very high, so I would assume the price as well?

I could imagine that there would be waiting lists.

As there are different levels of hearing loss / tinnitus severity, some people should get priority?

It would probably take another few years before the med would be covered by health insurance companies. And perhaps only in cases of (severe) hearing loss...

In general: what would be a possible timeline after a succesful phase 3?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      FDA has made it very clear they don't care about tinnitus, so we can't expect any special treatment. If it's a medicine of some sort like Freq fx, then it could be two and a half years. If it's a device it's probably going to be at least a few months. Most likely in the realm of 6 months.

I don't know if the FDA and european drug administration (I think that's what it's called?) have a cooperative agreement like that, but I read it's easier to get something passed over there, so we could be seeing a release over there shortly before over here. However if it's a US based company it will happen here first.

For insurance that would be complicated. If it's for hearing loss as well it might be covered, but if it's just for tinnitus it won't be, because nobody really cares about it. So maybe something like Freq fx would be covered but if it's only for >50dB loss, then there's a chance it doesn't because "mild" hearing loss isn't considered to be disabling.

• Like x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Good Question x 1
      • Funny x 1
      • Informative x 1
    3. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      For me I am so desperate to save my life, I would take them with no approval
      People with $$$$ will get priority over the serf's.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't think that there will be a one cure fits all right away, but if the inner ear hair cells could be regrown, that would probably cover a lot of people for both deafness and/or tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I am jealous of birds since they can grow damaged hair cells back.

6. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I did not know that. That's amazing. It's interesting when I go on my morning walks that's the sound that stands out more than any others, the sounds of birds chirping.