Improvements After One Year!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by BeautifulBlue, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably poor posture + bruxism
      Hi all,

This is not a complete success story (tinnitus is still there) but I really want to share how much better I am after the onset a year ago. As for all of us, the first weeks were the worst. The denial, the trying everything, including not-so-reliable methods found online, the medical tests to exclude the worst... we've all been there.

Amongst the many things I did, I went to a dentist and to a physio, started meditating and looking after myself a bit more. I downloaded a white noise play list that I would liste to every night before sleeping or every time I had to write a paper and sit in silence.

I don't know what worked and what didn't, but right now I am typing from a very quite study room on campus, and since I forgot my headphones I can't have any background noise on. And I am fine. I even put my hands on my ears to test the volume of my tinnitus, and I can hardly hear it, if at all. Three weeks ago I was watching Netflix and noticed my tinnitus was very low. I covered my ears and noticed it was gone! It came back the next day, but I had a whole evening off!! The same thing tends to happen after remedial massage, it seems to really make things better for me.

For the whole year, I had camomile tea with cinnamon before going to bed. It doesn't taste good, but makes me sleep like a baby and I suspect it had some long-term effect on the volume of my tinnitus. I still get it super loud of I am stressed, or if I go to a club (which I now avoid as much as possible) but in the last year things have really improved for me, and I don't think about it as much. I have a normal life, the only thing I avoid is loud bars and clubs, and not even all the time.

Please have hope and don't stop trying. It does get better, it will get better. Good luck :)

Below is a list of things I did that may have had an effect, but I can't say for sure.

Dentist - extracted wisdom tooth, treated gum disease
      Physio - treated jaw, gave exercises to reinforce neck and jaw muscles, helped correcting posture.
      Remedial massage - only had it a couple of times, but tinnitus stopped for half a day both times
      Chamomile tea + cinnamon before bed - every night. Helps me sleep, which reduces stress.
      Yoga - did for a month and want to go back. I had almost no tinnitus during yoga classes, however some poses would make it worst (if I twist my neck to either side and stretch)
      Ginkgo Biloba - took it for 6 months, I doubt it did anything for me, but may be different for different people
      Started meditating - nothing hardcore, just using the Headspace app. Helps controlling stress/anxiety which keeps tinnitus under control (I think)
      Acupuncture - did it once, hated it!
      White noise - all day at the beginning, then just at night, now just when tinnitus is bothering me - so most days but not every day.
      Avoided noisy places - stopped going to clubs and noisy bars, not sure of it had any impact.

• Like Like x 8
      • Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What is the brand of camomile tea that you used?

What cinnamon did you use - the true cinnamon from a health store, or just cinnamon from the grocery store?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BeautifulBlue

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill, I really didn't go out of my way to find stuff. I used whatever brand of camomile I found (sometimes bags from the shops, sometimes I bought organic flowers online) and the cinnamon is just from the supermarket, as I wouldn't know how to source it differently.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Core2Duo

Core2Duo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you go to the movies?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BeautifulBlue

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Core2Duo hello, yes I do go to the movies at times, not very often. I am actually going tonight to see Deadpool 2 :) Being in the theatre gives me all sorts of problems that have to do with anxiety, so I try to force myself to go. I am often scared of the loud volume, but I have noticed that it doesn't change my T dramatically, if at all. I see your T is noise induced, so it might be different for you... have you stopped going to the movies?

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tinnitus is usually caused by 1-2 things hearing loss and or neck jaw and face muscle and skeletal misalignment

These two things which you did most likely may have been what reduced the volume.

Congratulations

• Like Like x 2
    7. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Did you wear a mouth guard for your tinnitus?