Increased Number of Seconds-Long Spikes

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by LovesToTeach, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

LovesToTeach Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      Hi Dr. Nagler,

This is a "can-it-be-normal" question. (Every doctor seems to hate "is it normal" questions!)

Can it be normal to have a marked increase in seconds-long increases in tinnitus? I've had several of them a day - sometimes several an hour - over the past few days in both ears, one ear at a time. Some are accompanied by a sense of aural fullness/decrease in hearing. I gave birth 2 weeks ago so I'm hypothesizing that the temporary spikes have something to do with it. My tinnitus began about 2.5 months ago a couple of days into a cold.

If you have any insights, it would be appreciated! Should I be worried? (I am anyway, just wondering if this could be a sign of something more sinister than it appears.)

Thanks so much for your time.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Sounds to me like an unpleasant, but normal, variant. Possibly it's "fleeting tinnitus," which has no clinical significance whatsoever. I wish I could be certain, but one thing I have learned along the way is that the only predictable thing about tinnitus is its unpredictability. To me it does not appear to be anything particularly sinister, but if it lasts more than a couple of months, I would suggest a thorough ENT evaluation to be absolutely sure.

You are most welcome ... and congratulations on the new arrival!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1