Increased Tinnitus from Taking Bactrim Reversible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by racerfish, Aug 11, 2018.

1. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I have an infection and was prescribed Bactrim for 6 weeks though the doctor said that after 4 weeks if my symptoms are gone I could probably stop taking it.

A little background, my initial tinnitus was noise-induced and I've had that for years. A round of antibiotics a couple years ago upped the volume of my tinnitus considerably.

Now that I've been on the Bactrim for about a week, I started to notice a gradual increase in the volume of my T over the course of 2-3 days as well as the sensation that my ears are a little plugged up. To top it off, I have had unusual episodes of fleeting tinnitus that don't last long (like 1-2 seconds) but are super loud.

For those who've taken Bactrim, did your tinnitus go away after stopping the drug? I want to stop taking it but know that I also need this infection to clear up. If the fleeting tinnitus episodes I'm getting become permanent, I can't imagine living life with my tinnitus at that volume. I also worried about hearing loss.

I'm gonna send a message to my doctor Monday and will see what he says, but I'm just worried about what to do. The only alternative antibiotic is Cipro which is one of the drugs that caused my tinnitus to spike permanently 2 years ago.

2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown