Incredible Change in My Tinnitus from Gluten Free Diet

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Sue Brown, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Sue Brown

Sue Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Herpes simplex
      Hi,

I have posted previously about my struggle with tinnitus. It started in December 2017 and it was shocking. It first started in my left ear and soon moved to a lesser degree to my right ear. I paid privately to see ENT consultant who determined that my hearing was not affected and he stated it was stress related as the previous three months had been a time of great stress for me. My tinnitus coupled with attacks of herpes virus in my mouth and tingling in my front teeth and gum became unbearable.

I paid again to see a neurologist as by this time I had seen 23 GP s who could not get to the bottom of my tinnitus. He suggested I start on low dose Aciclovir 400 mg x2 daily.

I found that I was having times when my tinnitus was low, but attacks were awful. I had to cancel two holidays that I booked and when it was bad it was accompanied by extreme tiredness and headaches. At the worst time it was affecting every part of my life and I felt as if I was on another planet.

My dentist referred me to the dental hospital as a result of the tingling in my teeth and gums and they were marvelous. In short, they have been my support over the past two years, even calling me during the pandemic. at my most recent appointment, I discussed my tinnitus, tiredness and headaches with a newly qualified dentist. She spoke to me about taking B vitamins. They tested me for a B12 deficiency, which was fine and we discussed diet and health.

After chatting to the dentist I booked a test with my doctors for Coeliac disease. Again and thankfully this was negative. However, after having this test I decided to try a gluten free diet. I started it two weeks ago and miraculously my tinnitus, tiredness and headaches started to subside.

I cannot tell you how happy I am writing this post. Today my tinnitus has faded to the lowest since it started and the tingling in my teeth and gums has also reduced dramatically. If this helps just one other person from reading my story then I will be over the moon. I cannot believe how eating gluten has by the look of it caused my tinnitus. When I look back I was living on gluten every meal and in effect poisoning myself. I have not found it hard giving up gluten as I would have given up everything for someone to reduce my awful tinnitus.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Were you still taking the antiviral? They take a long time to work.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sue Brown

Sue Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Herpes simplex
      Yes I’ve taken Aciclovir since 2018. Firstly 2 x 400 mg and now 4 x 200 mg. I’ve had ups and downs with symptoms since taking these.

However, I am convinced that my tinnitus had reduced as a result of going gluten free. Early days yet but I suffer with allergies to meds and pollen too.

• Like Like x 1
    4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I've been gluten free for the last 10 months, but have brokem my gluten fast a few times. I've noticed I get extremely tired when I do or if I eat a non-AIP food. My diet is called the Autoimmune Protocol and helps with inflammation. Good job with your improvements.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sue Brown

Sue Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Herpes simplex
      Thank you.