Fixed My Tinnitus by Going Gluten Free

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Sugarpuddle, Dec 5, 2022.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      It takes 2-4 weeks for gluten toxins to entirely flush out of your body. The gluten free diet also only works if you don't smoke and drink alcohol in terms of energy levels.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Thanks @Sugarpuddle, I'll keep it up. Fortunately I don't smoke or drink, so I have that going for me. I've been on travel this past week, which might be counteracting any energy gains I've been having with the diet. I actually haven't been too burdened with the diet, so I don't mind going another 2 weeks with it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      I’m on day 4 of gluten free inspired by your post among other anecdotal reports on here. It’s easy enough to try and certainly worth a shot. It may be coincidence but I may already be feeling more energy / clear-headed. My diet was fairly heavy in gluten before this. No noticeable change in my tinnitus/hyperacusis this early on - I think I will give it a month trial. I’ll update with any changes.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jackson Brady
      Wishful

Jackson Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different medications
      @Sugarpuddle, what anti-fungal medicine did you take? And what test did the doctor do to confirm candida?

5. Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      Unfortunately I don’t have anything exceptionally exciting to report. I may feel a little more energy over the last month but I don’t think I can say gluten-free has done much towards tinnitus or hyperacusis. I was surprised by the jump in energy for the first week or so, but any differences seemed to taper over the past month.

Are there any other dietary changes worth trying?

6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I really like the YouTube videos by Dr. Eric Berg. He's into ketogenic diet, plus his videos are full of innumerable tidbits and information on many health related issues.

7. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance) about 17 years ago and have been gluten-free ever since.

My tinnitus started 7 years ago, so totally avoiding gluten for 10 years before getting tinnitus did not stop it.

• Informative Informative x 4
    9. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      There are dozens of us!

I was diagnosed 19 years ago now. I have been living (mostly) gluten-free for most of those years.

I developed tinnitus 4 years ago. So, unfortunately, it did not help for me either.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I was mistaken as to when I was diagnosed; it was 2005, which is about the same time that you were told you had it. That diagnosis was the best thing; I was able to feel better within a week, and my recovery continued for some time.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I feel you, brother. Before being diagnosed, I always felt extremely physically tired and suffered from chronic bowel problems. It took about a year for me to recover fully.

These days, it's also pretty easy to find gluten-free products, which is great.

Glad you're feeling better!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I found this information below at the Mayo Clinic. They give some details on what to eat and what to avoid. I tried going gluten-free a few years ago with no effect, but everyone is going to be different, especially where tinnitus is concerned.

Mayo Clinic: Gluten-Free Diet

Here's what the Johns Hopkins Institute has on it. Both of these are highly respected in the field of medicine, and I tend to go by what they say. Both stress that the biggest adjustment one needs to make is to supplement their diet because of the lack of nutrients one encounters on a gluten-free diet. It could be that a lot of people may have a sensitivity to wheat and other gluten products that isn't bad enough to call it Celiac disease but is enough to cause mild inflammation, which certainly could spike tinnitus.

Johns Hopkins: Gluten-Free Diet — Is It Right for Me?

• Like Like x 1