Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Indeed, nobody knows if and when and where and how good a possible treatment might work.
      But this thread is about hair cell research and tracks current developments and we share infos. I got ear problems 15 years ago and I was always doing research on the net about hair cell regeneration and it's just exciting that some projects moved from discovery into clinical trials now.
      For me, it wasn't wasted time and I didn't sinked deeper because of all this research, it's the opposite, it often made my day!!
      But I also understand what you mean and some people might handle this as you mentioned. Everybody is different and also has different degree and types of hearing problems.
      This forum ist just awesome with many great people!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Can you describe what went on 15 years ago compared to now. Would you say now is more exciting then ever or is it just a merry go round of false promises and failure? Were there any clinical trials for hair cell regeneration before?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    3. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I presume you mean humans, then no there was nothing but mouse models and the odd primate study. Welcome to the future.

• Like Like x 3
    4. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      In the February newsletter of the Hearing Health Foundation www.hhf.org
      the first article is about their consortium to cure hearing loss. It's very encluraging what they write.
      Source: hhf.org
      Hearing Restoration Project (HRP) Conducts Fruitful February Meeting
      On February 10, the HRP convened during the annual meeting of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) in San Diego. Five members delivered presentations on their projects with great dialogue and interactive commentary. "All projects are on track and are yielding interesting results," according to Scientific Director Peter Barr-Gillespie, Ph.D. Board Chair Elizabeth Keithley, Ph.D., also present, said, "It was wonderful to see how far they have progressed since the inception of the group in 2011. I am confident that our efforts to regenerate hair cells will be successful." To conclude, the group heard a spirited call to action from Scientific Advisory Board member Dr. David Pauls, who drew on his experience with other scientific consortia to exhort the HRP to take advantage of all the benefits such consortia bring

• Like Like x 7
    5. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      My hearing is perfectly normal according to an OAE. The only real indications of damage are T and decrease in LDLs. So either I damaged hair cells that weren’t tested, or I damaged something else, such as synapses. I think the latter is more likely since I’m pretty sure I have an abnormal amount of trouble picking out conversations in noise, which is a primary indication.

I sure hope that our tools for diagnosing inner ear problems improve soon; even with these treatments I’m still gonna be flying blind until we have that.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't think OAEs measure above 8k, just like standard hearing tests. Mine didn't anyway. Listen to a frequency sweep on low volume on decent full range headphones or speakers and see what happens at the higher frequencies. Probably some hearing loss there

7. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      Hi, what is your source? Hearing loss leading to Alzheimer is quite a claim.

You also claim hearing loss may trigger dementia but what about tinnitus?

I'm actually asking because I find myself to be more and more mentally tired. And by tired I mean it's harder to focus on things such as intellectual work, speech, etc. Like my mind is away from my body. I'm looking for my words more and more often, etc.

I'm only 33 year-old and working hard for my career. I need all my head (intellectual job in IT, leading open talks, etc.). So I have to say I'm a bit concerned by my mental health. For the moment I'm just convincing myself it's just anxiety - which tinnitus enables from time to time (I'm living with it permanently for 13 years now).

8. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      I think not all kind of hearing loss conditions will lead to dementia or alzheimer or whatever...
      So no panic for that.
      How long a cure for hearing loss will take, nobody knows...10 years is the same speculation like 20 or 30.
      But we probably get a first answer if latest research is on track or not in the next few years.

9. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      I’ve done that too, can hear all the way up to 16kHz, which is within normal range for my age (25). Also, my more bothersome tone is 500Hz, which is pretty low.

My OAE definitely went to at least 12k but I don’t have the graph in front of me.

10. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Can you imagine a trial is run on a geriatric ward and neurological disorders began to reverse after hearing recovery? You could factor in about a trillion dollars of neuro med patents into a valuation for such a treatment, and yes I believe hearing recovery in the old will have profound neurological effects like nothing ever seen before.

• Like Like x 4
      • Creative Creative x 3
    11. Canadaman

Canadaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bar for two hours + levofloxacin + stress
      It reminds me of vision in children.

Sometimes a whole school system can end up thinking a child is mentally slow, and then it turns out that he just had bad eyesight. He couldn't read the blackboard, but he had no reference point to realize something wasn't right about his eyes.

This is why schools do a lot of vision testing these days, I've heard.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Yusher

Yusher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      toxine
      When Frequency is planning to start 2 trial who knows?

13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
      • Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. vaka

vaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss.
      • Like Like x 2
    15. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Luckily for us, science/medicine works in an exponential way. That means that instead of seeing linear improvements, every new small improvement will stack upon existing knowledge. So every year will bring massive improvements that will stack upon each other.

I believe there was talk a number of years ago that we would not see hair cell regeneration in our lifetimes, and look at where we are now. People also have to understand that our successes (and even every failure) teaches the scientists something new which moves us dramatically forward and pushes us more into the exponential curve. Math is a wonderful thing people, it makes the whole world make sense.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    16. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      What next if they success? Next trials?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes. Frequency Therapeutics plans to begin phase 2 this year and if successful phase 3 should follow. "The company then (after phase 3) submits an application to the FDA for approval, a process that can take up to two and a half years. After final approval, the drug becomes available for physicians to prescribe."
      From what I've read phase 2 can take up to two years and phase 3 up to four years.
      https://www.drugs.com/fda-approval-process.html
      https://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Approvals/Drugs/ucm405622.htm

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      So if it works we are looking at up to 8½ year before it is available to us? DAMN that is a long time! :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      Why losing hope Sandra?

20. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yeah, unfortunately. And as others have said that would probably be the most optimistic case and no one can predict what will happen during phase 2. (And then you’d also have to consider when this medication would be available in Europe and how much it would cost). Approximately 33% of drugs move from phase 2 to phase 3. However, I try to look at it from this side: what is having to wait for a decade for a new treatment compared to getting the rest of your life back? I keep telling myself to hold on for another ten years. I'm hoping Susan Shore’s device will be available in the next couple of years... and I'm hoping that Affichem's new drug will be available in under a decade.

21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      It is not so much waiting 8½ years, but the fact that it takes 5+ years for a drug/treatment to hit the market after it has been proven it works. It is ridiculous that it has to take that long, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Just some reasons I can think of that should/could make the process for fx-322 to move faster than regular drug testing:

-unmet marked ( there is something called "fast tracking", do not know how common that is.
      -this is not made to go into our bloodstream or affect our brain in any way(though I guess it will enter our bloodstream somewhat, bc it will eventually be swollowed, but Sfx should be lesser of a concern)
      -as a startingpoint, it´s a one time administration type deal (side effects should thus be minimal)
      -if it works, it will be easy to measure. Placebo can´t interfere in hearing a tone or not. It can maybe interfere with T and H feel of intrusion, but not if it´s there or GONE!

These "facts" should make things go faster both during and post trial should it not?

Am, I wrong?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    23. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Ask them to show you their 8-16 kHz audiogram.

• Agree Agree x 4
    24. Yusher

Yusher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      toxine
      What about Audion?When they will start 2 phase?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      That’s basically what I’m saying. The first trial has been going on for months already. I think they already gathered data on the delivery method. The safety component should be the focus now. Understandably, they will take time here and study any long term effects. My interest would be trial 2. I don’t know how long the cells will take to grow but nerves can grow up to an inch in just a month. The cells in question are smaller so it should be even a shorter time. As soon as they have this information (if it works) just fast track the whole thing. They know it will be safe at that point. Get this out as soon as possible!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Canadaman

Canadaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bar for two hours + levofloxacin + stress
      There is a chance you could get in the phase 2 or phase 3 trials.

Phase 3 trials especially, as I understand, tend to be quite large.

It'd be great if someone from the forum could get involved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012

Phase 3s????????
      DSPlR4IW0AAAuXx.jpg

I was recently told by a non-believer that cellular repair is useless as most ear disorders are systemic in that the underlying cause is immune mediated (a malfunction of some sort and not a pathogen). I beg to differ, but there are those who believe that tinkering with immune response is a more realistic therapy in the coming years.
      We will see. ;)
      http://docdro.id/zPlTi18

• Like Like x 2
    29. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1