Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Soren

Soren Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      To come to the conclusion that because of a trial program for a still untested drug that focuses on specific area of hearing loss. That it will problely not be used in other things comes off as hyperbole.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Please allow me to take some of the mystery out of this for you guys.

Here's how they regrow hair cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573859/

with this chemical that only labs can buy.

http://www.adooq.com/ly-411575.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34PuweDH3AIVhYWzCh2TaQPxEAAYAyAAEgIDb_D_BwE

notice this is called a "small molecule drug".

probably some other stuff going on. but that's the basic premise.

such a shame that they are going so slow, that paper was published 5 years ago. hey at least the ball is rolling. Have faith and hold on my peoples. it's coming.

• Like Like x 4
    3. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      How long do you think the technology to eliminate tinnitus in the CNS through specific pathways without serious side effects (ie erectile dysfunction, blindness, stroke etc) is away from the grasp of Neuroscience?

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      much further away then treating hearing loss. It will probably take a better part of a century to map the brain

i'd rather kill two birds with one stone anyhow

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think youre wrong and that regenerating hair cells will cure tinnitus at any frequency.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      The frequency not being perceived by the auditory cortex is logical if the hair cells responsible for picking up the sound aren't there or are damaged. No hair cells = no signal to the brain. A hearing aid won't fix that. It's like having your arm chopped off and putting a prosthetic arm on. It won't make you be able to feel sensations from it like a natural arm. That's why they want to regenerate the hair cells. That would be as having your arm grown back again in my analogy. At least in theory. We don't know what's going to happen until they have tested the drug.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      From the article about implants in Russian Wikipedia:

"Cochlear implants are not effective enough in patients who, with sensorineural hearing loss for a long time, for years, lived" in complete silence "due to the fact that they did not wear a hearing aid at all or did it seldom or received inadequate compensation from using a hearing aid: in these cases, from insufficient stimulation gradually fade and atrophy of the branches of the auditory nerve.

At the same time, it can not be said that cochlear implants are not recommended for such patients - they can also help patients with a long history of deafness. The most effective cochlear implants in patients with a relatively recent severe severe neurosensory hearing loss or with the recent progression of hearing loss, who previously successfully used the hearing aid and received adequate compensation from it "

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      How long do you think the technology to eliminate tinnitus in the CNS through specific pathways without serious side effects (ie erectile dysfunction, blindness, stroke etc) is away from the grasp of Neuroscience?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    9. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I think, unfortunately, neuroscience is still far from real help to potential patients.

Why? Well, in the first, real companies that deal with these issues, with good financing in the world of the unit. Perhaps less.

Secondly, the Brain is the most complex and mysterious system in man today. Even James Watson, who discovered the structure of the DNA molecule, said he was amazed at how complicated the human brain was. The ear is even more complicated. It is almost impossible to get close to it - it is located in the thickness of the densest bone.

Third, it's not certain that progenitor cells will be effective, and the hope for stem cells, especially with respect to the brain, is almost illusory, scientists recently learned about this aspect and came to the conclusion that stem cells almost do not work with the brain.

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The ear is more complicated than the brain? They already proved they could restore hearing in living rodents and they responded very well at higher frequencies.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im not trying to be an argumentative prick, i actually appreciate your healthy scepticism.

12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      from what Frequency is saying progeintor cells only have two jobs

duplicate
      and grow new hair cells

and from what I understand even gene therapies also use progenitor cells but in a different way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      You see, they grow. They grow whole hearts and transplant people, and they continue to live happily ever after, grow urethra and implant.

Nerve cells of the ear do not restore, and do not really attempt to. Pro, then that "the mouse or the rats, after they were deafened, the hearing was restored" we read a long time ago - the first news of such a plan appeared on the network back in 2011. But here it is not advanced further than these articles about mice in 7 years.

Here is the difficulty: - Nervous tissue is more complex than muscle or bone.

For example, from one study: "A group of scientists from MIPT, Stony Brook University and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories observed how neural stem cells in the hippocampus are divided and consumed in mice, a region of the brain that is critical to learning and memory." Optimistic predictions of the presence of symmetrical fission - when from one stem cell is obtained, two are not confirmed, and if this division takes place, then in no more than ten percent of cases, which means that replenishment of stem cells that could give rise to new neurons is rare or not at all the process that is taking place."

In addition, there are other objective difficulties - it isn't safe to access such a delicate part as an auditory analyzer, which is located in the thickness of the bone. Second - all talk about regeneration is reduced only to the regeneration of the cochlear hair cells of the cochlea. It should be understood that if the nerve is not stimulated for a long time by electrical signals from damaged hair cells, then the corresponding twigs of the auditory nerve begin to similarly atrophy. AND

Even if you theoretically restore cochlear cells, the nerve will not adequately carry them into the auditory cortex of the brain. It is important to note that this does not happen immediately, but in the course of time. 2-3-4 years - but this process is gradual.

Therefore, it is important to wear a hearing aid with even minor hearing loss.

I, as you, hope and dream, that this day would come sooner, and we regained silence, it would be the happiest day in our life.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      According to Lieberman, this could take decades!
      Besides, new haircells will form new connections/synapses to the hearing nerve.
      Similarly to the process happening, while in the wound.
      I´m I wrong?
      Nothing is written in stone here, right?

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But with T arent the nerves firing off like crazy which would keep them nice and strong?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      You said it, everything has a job in function and in existence, the brain is just another part of the body, up and down, no special effects, most unreliable and temperamental, slow and imprecise, now compare that to auditory mechanotransduction, reliable, fast and precise WHEN THE ORGAN WORKS.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Informative Informative x 2
    18. DeafPunk

DeafPunk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Syndrome
      I don't think so - rather, it is more like a 'phantom limb' effect that amputees get - the brain is making up signals to fill in the gaps where it thinks they should be. That may, of course, depend on exactly why you have tinnitus in the first place...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2018-8-2_5-33-27.png
      Professor's Kujawa and Liberman

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. GGG-DG

GGG-DG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/noise/stress?
      Those people should be more excited of regeneration of synaptic connections, which several companies are working for. Eg: decibel.

You assumption that regeneration of hair cells in ears is the only thing that is being studied on is incorrect.

21. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Many successful traders point to the importance of investing in non correlated assets, I think the same rings true for us a patient body, we must spread the bet wide on multiple tech forms that use entirely different approaches, it makes more sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      true, if synapse repair becomes a reality i would choose it over hair cell regeneration.

I don't need to hear above 14,000hz
      I just want to have quality of hearing instead of muffled high pitch noises from 6k-14k

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I am making an assumption that hair cell regeneration will also help hidden hearing loss.
      it would be useless if it gave me super higher frequencies but no quality of hearing with the still damaged frequencies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I would like to put some papers up here that I came upon, steer the topic back to the science,

• Like Like x 3
    25. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Like Like x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't want to sound over confident, but I think if FX 322 meets all of its endpoints, that it's going to perfectly fix our hearing.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, that would be´fairly reasonable to expect. PCA could probably in theory fix up any damaged part of the body when used correctly. Fixing up middle ears is just extra cool, since the cochlea and stuff doesn't heal naturally.

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      What makes you think that it would restore any other part of the auditory system besides hair cells?
      Edit: just saw Phendran's comment, but still not sure about anything "behind" the cochlea, which FX's gel presumably wouldn't reach (i.e. it would only reach the cochlea, not anything more internal e.g. auditory nerve fibers leading to the brain).

29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe we need to
      okay, sorry. I was referring to people that have noise induced hearing loss and T. my apologies. I realize that there are many other types of inner ear, vascular, nervous system, and brain conditions that could affect hearing. that was an ignorant statement for me to make.

30. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Actually I too was speaking of NIHL (my HL, T and H are noise-induced). But even within NIHL, apparently there can be synaptic and auditory nerve fiber damage.

• Agree Agree x 1