Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Yes this is definitely great progress and it makes a lot of sense because scientific efforts elsewhere have recently been able to turn regular skin cells into pluripotent stem cells using CRISPR and that tells me that the approach they're using in the following article is right in line with that same concept, but i like the following approach more as they're using a small molecule drug instead of snipping the DNA itself:
      https://www.technologyreview.com/lists/innovators-under-35/2018/inventor/will-mclean/

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Frequency Tx researchers have published several papers on their technology and so has probably Novartis. In fact, that's why scientific journals exist, for the sharing and propagation of ideas!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      It depends greatly on the outcome of the trial. If the trial is successful, then yes. But evidently we haven't had a successful one to date.

Patience is golden when it comes to enduring tinnitus. And if you don't already have it, you will in time...

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      GTqAGj6E5DQJHUA3L0CHH05IbfPWi6K8fbKLLzo0AecS1SjQBjfL61ETjnQY66LNnsLt4g3pe3LZL5aRUPbhU4hGUB5sE-Pg.jpg

Moorfields Eye Hospital - Wed 27 Jun 2018

have a look at the opening scene and the end. Very interesting, the concept of cellular repair will now be normalized across media and the public.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did the guy in the opening scene ever get his eyesight back??

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree. There should a way for sufferers to contribute financially and make the knowledge open source.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Not sure, I think this footage is very new, I came across a vision restoration concept called Molyneux's problem recently, it ties in with the concept of whether hearing restoration will reverse tinnitus. I will be posting it on the other thread here now.

• Like Like x 2
    8. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      There's lots of ways to do that. You can give to any of the Universities supporting hearing loss research or the BTA or the Hearing health foundation. I have given to the Stanford cure for hearing loss, but there is also USC, and others that are working on hearing loss cures. They share the information they find and make publications. The hearing loss companies will then take this information and start devising a cure.

• Like Like x 3
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      sounds like a plan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. xCyborg
      Frustrated

xCyborg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Noise? Prolonged Stress/D? TMJ/Neck/Head?
      >"patients are now being actively recruited for the third and final part."

Is anyone in this forum participating in Novartis' final trial?
      And does anyone know if their Phase II results are published?

• Good Question Good Question x 5
    11. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      They won't talk.

12. Terrel

Terrel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe not too loud music? Maybe something crawling in my ear
      It’s in Texas right?

13. PetitGarsTimide
      Caffeine

PetitGarsTimide Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dumb teenager who listened to loud music everytime
      According to this

We're maybe talking about one of the greatest breakthrough in this field and I feel like nobody cares, moreover they seem to have succeed in phase 2 and once again nothing about it ? Can somebody tell me why

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    14. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Maybe they’re talking about the final part of the phase 1/2 trial instead of starting phase 3? I think we would have heard it if phase 1/2 had been finished successfully..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      There were mixed results out of the phase 2 study. One of the participants went on to get a cochlear implant in that ear. They also use your supporting cells to create new cells which is probably not a good thing. There really hasnt been any updates on how they are progressing. We can only speculate at this point as to why they are going on to a phase 3 trial.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. rsmcfar

rsmcfar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/28/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Can someone please do a study to confirm or dis-confirm if regeneration of hearing via hair cell regrowth will reduce tinnitus or not?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      We dont even know if regeneration improves hearing in humans yet lol. Someone with hearing loss will have tinnitus as well in the trials though

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      There is no way we can confirm or dispute whether regeneration of hair cells will do anything before we actually manage to regenerate hair cells. For now all we can have are speculations.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      With that said I would speculate that if a regenerated hair cell also would make a connection with a nerve there is a good chance it will also effect tinnitus. I'm basing this on the research by Susan Shore PhD, where she has found that tinnitus starts in the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus. And boosting input to the DCN from the cochlea should down regulate hyperactivity in the DCN since it seems to be caused by loss of input from the cochlea. But as I said this is only speculation. Nobody knows until we finally manage to successfully regenerate hair cells.

I will supply you with a couple of links below. I suggest you watch the lecture in the second one. It's really interesting stuff!

For more info see this thread:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-university-of-michigan-tinnitus-discovery-—-signal-timing.2805/

And this lecture by Susan Shore, PhD:
      Susan E. Shore - Saturday Morning Physics -...

• Informative Informative x 5
    21. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury

7:52
      If we can achieve that goal of hair cell restoration regrowth and make those hair cells connect up with the auditory nerve and fibers that connect to the brain that would be a marvelous thing for hearing loss and would in all likely hood correct tinnitus as well.

Hearing Health foundation stated this

• Like x 3
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Agree x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Useful x 1
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Let's see if the ATA and BTA will test this hypothesis in animal models.

two groups of rodents

12 control group
      12 treated with a drug that is suppose to regenerate hair cells

1: Get a whole bunch of rats, expose them to 120 decibel loud noise for several hours and give them aspirin to highely increase the likely hood they develop tinnitus.

2: Determine anxiety in rats, or possibly even ways of measuring brain activity like Susan Shore does to indicate which rats have tinnitus

3: 24 rats now all have tinnitus and hearing loss

4: Wait 3 months to see which rats develop chronic tinnitus

5: 12 of them get treated with a hair cell regeneration agent a month post trauma, control group doesn't

6: confirm the hearing loss agent works

7: follow up for the next 6 months to see if reduction of tinnitus occurs in the treated group

publish results and also try to include hyperacusis to the factor as well

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Now THAT'S cruel!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I was taking a
      Just imagine how relieved the rodents would be after they were cured though.

• Like Like x 1
    25. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually had a consultation with a texas based stem cell clinic and they were willing to try and treat my tinnitus with adipose stem cells. The consultor said he has seen it work but I dont know exactly what to think about that. So technically yeah they are using stem cells to treat hearing loss, the question is effectiveness which may be as much as those stupid ring relief pills. I would think that if the cure for T was as simple as adipose stem cell injections into the blood stream that many users here would have done it already and be sharing their stories.

26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:

"Overexpression of β-catenin caused an increase in hair cell marker-positive cells"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24328990

"Common food additive carrageenan stimulates Wnt/ β-catenin signaling in colonic epithelium by inhibition of nucleoredoxin reduction."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

it's in edible red seaweed.

"Carrageenan has been studied in laboratory animals for its potential effects on intestinal and immune functions following oral intake or gavage, with no effects on organ pathology, clinical chemistry, hematology, or normal health.[26] Dietary carrageenan had no carcinogenic, genotoxic, developmental, or reproductive effects in laboratory animals, and was found to be safe in one study on human infants.[26] "

but then there's this.

https://wellnessmama.com/2925/what-is-carrageenan/

"Although derived from a natural source, it appears to be particularly destructive to the digestive system, triggering an immune response similar to that your body has when invaded by pathogens like Salmonella. The result: “It predictably causes inflammation, which can lead to ulcerations and bleeding"

So, here's this.

https://www.modernistpantry.com/car...MI7frz3JvA3AIVE4nICh18xw3uEAkYASABEgIZxPD_BwE

I (out of desperation) wonder if eating lot's of this stuff could trigger spontaneous regeneration of hair cells. Or give us cancer.

once again:
      "Common food additive carrageenan stimulates Wnt/ β-catenin signaling in colonic epithelium by inhibition of nucleoredoxin reduction." "Overexpression of β-catenin caused an increase in hair cell marker-positive cells".

Food for thought. This seems to me to be as plausible as adipose stem cell injections. Definitely better that that nasty Apple Cider Vinegar or the over the counter pills that don't so jack squat.

27. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      They truly are the unsung heroes of our time!

labrat.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I already talked about this. But probably it is worth saying again.

The whole horror of the situation is that those who have a slight hearing loss for a long time, causing tinnitus, or a loss above 8 kHz, which does not reflect on the usual audiogram, are probably in vain cherishing the hopes associated with the regeneration of the cochlear hair cells.

Hope, of course, should be, and it is not groundless! But I will remind one fact - the auditory system is very complicated, perhaps this is the most complex system of the human body. When some cochlear cells (responsible for the perception of certain sound frequencies) die or are damaged, then over time zones of the auditory cortex of the brain, which are not receiving these sounds for a long time, also begin to atrophy.

I know cases where people years after the loss of hearing and the beginning of tinnitus began to use hearing aids, the noise became quieter, yes. But the sounds of damaged frequencies, even if amplified by a hearing aid, were perceived unnaturally, or, more accurately, not at all perceived by the auditory cortex (brain).

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      i guess i'll just kill myself if they can't restore my hearing due to the outdated 1940's audiogram

• Agree Agree x 4
    30. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Why are they obsolete?

They use the most modern digital apparatus with an extended range of amplification