Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Last day here in Ibiza, And today, wake up felling good, just small T to stat day. Let´s see the rest
      Defently buying a LLLT laser and keep doing the treatment. I will same devise you did, cause other is less power.

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Seems like it has been a success so far. If you want to share a few lines about your experience with Dr. Wilden, please do so. It has been a year since I last met him. And I have no idea how his facilities on Ibiza compare with his previous clinic in Regensburg. I am actually considering going for another 10 sessions myself (had 10 last year too). There is a significant difference in the treatment effect between the therapy at the clinic and the treatment at home. The treatment at the clinic definitely speeds up the recovery process.

One specific question: did you have double daily sessions ie. 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening (= 10 hours in total) or just the normal 1 hour per day (30 min. each ear)?

Take care.

3. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi
      Thanks for the concerne.
      As you might undestand I can not compare the two offices. The office is located in the small vilage of Santa Gertrudes right in midlle of IBIZA Island. Away from all the noise. Is a nice office, clean as should be and very minimal. The room with the lasers is very quite. On the day I arrived a restaurante was openning right besides is ofice. Is a all Veagn food, nice as well and tasty food, Spend some time there.

Now concernning the treatment.
      1. 5 session, one a day. 40 minutes in my ear with T (right side) and 20 minutes on other side.
      2.Made an audigrame before the first treatment and one before the last treatment.
      3. In my right side ear , I had improvemnets on my hearing in 15 db, in some frequencies.
      4. The T still here of corse.
      5. During this last two months I have been headaches and they stoped. Nice
      6. When with headaches, I have SSSSSS sound on my right ear. So now I only have a T wich is (I think is a pure tone)
      7. Had a pitch during my stay. some food with MSG and the pitch was lower than usual and went fast, Usualy last one day. Maybe a small dose of MSG, but went fast.
      8. Sleep well.
      9. And now keeping the treatment with the laser I bought.
      10. I can compare the two audigram made at dr Wilden, but I will NOT compare them with the one I made in Portugal. Total diferente machines and envioremental places. I will make another high frequencie audiograme in a month time. That way I can see the results of the treatment or not.
      11. When I saw the first audiograme made at Dr Widen, I though something was wrong with volume at 12hz, but on the second audigrame that value was around the same values ( up 10 db) so maybe, I say maybe, it was not so uncorrect as I thought. I say this cause the hight frequencie audiograme I made in Portugal the volume is at -70 db . Something I need to double check.

My conclusion: If ear cells do not regenerate then I really don´t know what happen. But something happen.

I tried, I´m happy I tried and next week going to Bali with all family, and going more optimistic, and hope to have great vacations. Take the treatment with me, and keep doing it.

I hope you do not take me as just a "copy cat" of what you did. But I will try the steam cell treatment as well maybe in October. Then we can compare the two. If something happen to the same way happened to you, I think we are on a way to something. If NOT, at least we know where not to go and try other things.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your account.

I agree that the audiograms you had in Portugal vs. the ones done by Dr. Wilden, show a huge difference (needless to say). I can offer explanations as to why there can be small differences (5-15 db) in this thread...

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/am-101-tactt1-results-released.1994/page-20#post-38164

...but I cannot offer an explanation as to why there can be difference of up to 50-60 db. It makes no sense. Very strange.

I do believe that Dr. Wilden's audiograms are accurate and reliable; in fact his audiology facilities in Regensburg were in the top range, I would say (see photo below). And so, based on your most recent audiograms, I would say your hearing is very good (obviously). It is good to see that people who take care of their ears, can keep good hearing throughout their lives. You should remind your son (in your avatar) of that - if you haven't already. I don't have children myself, but I have a somewhat younger brother (he's 14, and I am 36), and I have told him several times to be careful with noise (videogames, iPods, and so on). There is too much noise everywhere these days. Also be careful with noise on the airplane (in the future). I recommend using earplugs for such events (as Dr. Wilden has already told you, I am sure...:)), but be careful about earplugs during the ascent and descent of the plane (pressure equalization).

When you are closer to making a decision about future treatments, let me know. You can have my private e-mail, phone number and so on. No problem.

Enjoy the holiday.

This is what a properly sound insulated audiology environment looks like (not that many clinics offer such high quality hearing tests). This is from Dr. Wilden's previous clinic in Regensburg:

Audiology_Regensburg.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Looks like something outta 2001: A Space Odyssey or the cryo sleep chamber in Alien :) @attheedgeofscience

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi GIL,
      good to read that you are doing good after your stay in Ibizza.
      For you audiogramm, I mean, you already have perfect hearing, and I guess a tolerance of 5-10 dB in this range is
      absolutely normal. For your age, you have very good hearing. Ofcourse, you have been to Dr. Wilden concerning the tinnitus... and if there is an increase in the positive way that's super!
      I have some more hearing loss in the 30-35 range at 1-2 khz and >10 khz... This is what I really feel eveyday.
      So for me it would be an if there would be a success...

Greets Tom

7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    8. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Just on a side note, Bali is flooded with noise pollution ... lot`s of traffic and even more dangerous is their traditional music wich conists of poeple hitting as hard as they can on metal bells bowls and cymbal-like things ... check some youtube video on that one. I stayed there for 1.5 months some years ago and a lot of places have young kids making this music in small rooms. the men living in Bali growing up with this tradition whil most deffinately have severe hearing loss and possible Tinnitus. the world today needs a cure for our ears cause it`s going to be even more and already IS a huge problem with debilitating effects for millions of poeples lives on this globe ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi and thanks for the concern. I think now more problematic than the music, is the night life in KUTA. Is my 5th time there. I´m aware of that, Thanks. But is really family trip we are 10 so mostlty will be quite, just hope the sound of waves, going for some surf as well, does not afect my T.

But I real do not like that music a lot.
      Thanks

10. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014

Attached Files:

11. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Well the thing about the trial for this treatment is that they had to exclude people who were born with profound deafness, due to the fact that they don't have the structures in the inner ear to support hair cell growth. The only people who are eligible for this are people who have lost hearing through loss of hair cells. So in my opinion, yes it does hint towards this being a possible cure for tinnitus caused by NIHL, Ototoxicity, and SSNHL.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Interested in regeneration but I'll take a special quiet pill now.

13. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      On Page 28, they have their Key Inclusion Criteria for incoming test subjects:

Key Inclusion Criteria
      • Patients 18-70 years old with acquired bilateral hearing loss
      • Stable pure tone thresholds for at least 6 months
      • Pure tone threshold > 70 dB (but not deaf)
      • Meet cochlear implantation criteria
      • Patients eligible for general anesthesia and surgery

Notice there is no timeframe included. That's very nice to see.

14. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm very curious about this outcome.
      Would be a nice success, if the delivery sytem would work. For the regeneration drug/process, I'm sure they need much more specific optimisation...
      But good for the research field...

15. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Found more detailed presentation of CGF166 genvec/novartis:
      http://osp.od.nih.gov/sites/default/files/1_1260_CGF166_Klickstein.pdf

highlights:
      -they already tested it on 3000 animal subjects including monkeys
      -avarage 60% of hair cells regenarated
      -only INNER hair cells are regenerated, which means its only for people with severe and worse hearling loss ... :(
      (outer hair cells are many more in count and they are capable for hearing very quite and quite sounds)
      in my opinion, at its best it will get back some hearing eliglibe for hearing aids

16. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks once again.
      going for steam cells first, then we see what next.

how is going your LLLT treatment. getting any better?

17. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I am getting better. I have just finished a week's rest (= no laser) after 8-9 weeks of treatment. I would rate my combined improvement against baseline tinnitus from April last year to be about 50-60%/50%, left/right ear.

Take care.

18. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Very intersiting finding. Yes, seems that there is "just" IHC regeneration.
      Anyway, if this is working, it would show that the adenovirus is good transportation and
      the concept of "regeneration of cells normally not regenerating" would work. So maybe with another drug
      or an optimized compound there could also be OHC regeneration.
      I'm very curiouse.... but this trial also have big risks to fail. But there must be a reason Novartis
      gives his name for that...

19. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      It would be nice if both type of hair cells could be grown again. But perhaps Tinnitus could be reduced or cured with Inner Hair Cells alone.

God, I hope they find a cure soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    21. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Nice

Still using the MLS pen, or using another device?

22. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes - the pen... from Novatech.

23. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    24. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      just a question: how are the going to reverse neuropathy? Noise is mainly linked with degeneration of the auditory nerve and its connections with the hair cells. Rebuilding a hair cell does not mean it is connected to the nerve. It is like attaching a new arm, but not connecting the nerve.

25. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

its stated (for example in the video above) that when hair cell is regenerated the auditory nerve is automatically reconnected

26. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It was one of the big concerns of thr researchers. But now they have seen that the hair cells aiming to connect with the nerves. I asked that considering the "Hidden Hearing Loss" findings, where hair cells remain but nerves degenerate.
      I guess it's great research going on at Stanford. The more they understand how everything works, the more likely they can do something.
      They told, that the ear (cochlea) is a well hidden and not easy to reach organ, but for regeneration it's good, because the structure still remains and "just a few cells" need to be regenerated. (compared to a Retina)

27. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      So this could help people that went the worse roote in getting there auditory nerve cut? And they should regain some hearing back?

28. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

There is better research which regenerates auditory nerve with gene therapy using cochlear implant as drug delivery tool
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275923.php

Im rather exited with this becouse it could possibly made cochlear implants much more precise in terms of sound dynamics (ability to enjoy music). Also there is another research with cochlear implant that is all in body without external parts.
      For deaf people there is bright future.

29. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm not sure if this kind of cut is the same. I guess they would need another regenerative treatment, but it's just speculation

30. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just found an radio stream with some additional information about hearing research.
      It's in german-language from a Swiss radio station.

http://www.srf.ch/player/radio/audi...de=inline&autoplay=true&html5playersize=small

The talk about the limits of cochlear implants and the new strong activities in biological resarch like
      hair cell regeneration. If everything goes well with the ongoing Novartis Trial (https://www.novartisclinicaltrials.com/TrialConnectWeb/aboutresult.nov?studyid=54904),
      Jeffrey Holt (researcher at Harvard andBostenChildrenHospital) estimates there could be a first cure for hearing loss in 5-10 years.
      But like always at the end of every such information they cautions that there are many things that all this could fail....

At least a encouraging radiocast... and it's not a "boulevard" radio station at all.