Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Just found this interesting link from a neurowiki on hair cell regeneration that offers an overview on topics including transdifferentiation, mitosis, and notch inhibition. It includes a detailed bibliography. The neurowiki is from the 2013 class in the University of Toronto's Human Biology Neuroscience Program.

http://neurowiki2013.wikidot.com/individual:hair-cell-regeneration

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      A few more links I have stumbled upon recently. I have mainly focused on umbilical cord blood stem cells, since those apparently are the most potent ones and treatments injecting these intravenously are already available.
      Umbilical cord blood stem cells - potential therapeutic tool for neural injuries and disorders.
      Umbilical cord blood stem cells converted into brain support cells.
      Human cord blood cells can differentiate into retina nerve cells.

• Like Like x 2
    3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Can you use someone else's umbilical cord blood ?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      Yes.

And since its from the umbilical cord, otherwise thrown in the trash, the ethical issues are few.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      South Park are so good !

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I had an email correspondance with Karl Koehler (http://news.medicine.iu.edu/releases/2013/07/hashino-stem-cells-inner-ear.shtml) and asked him
      'Does IV injections with human cord blood stem cells have a chance to repair damages on the human cochlea?' - this is the treatment @attheedgeofscience is getting. I told him about this forum and linked to @attheedgeofscience journal.

This is part of the reply (edited)

'Although I am not an expert on the etiology of or the treatment of Tinnitus, I am rather adept a spotting fraudulent stem cell treatments. I can say with confidence that if the stem cell treatment described by attheedgeofscience alleviated his tinnitus it was not due to the mesenchymal stem cell injection. To my knowledge, there is no definitive proof that such a treatment could be used for Tinnitus. Certainly not enough proof to spend $25,000. These treatments are becoming alarmingly common and are typically unproven.

I am a member of the International Society of Stem Cell Research and they have developed a very nice website to inform the public about these unproven stem cell treatments (see link). I encourage you to read through the information and share it with other members of TinnitusTalk. You can email the ISSCR directly to see if they have any information this particular clinic (email stemcelltreatments@isscr.org). They may be eager to investigate on your behalf.

It is my understanding that Tinnitus has a variety of causes that we are just now beginning to understand. Stem cells may be an effective treatment in the future, but at this point it is unclear what we would need the stem cells for (e.g. replacing hair cells or neurons in the cochlea, secreting proteins, etc.). I will try to keep myself informed on the progress of Tinnitus therapies and look a little deeper into the potential of stem cell treatments for you. In the meantime, do not hesitate to contact me again with other questions.'

I posted it in this thread since I don't want this to be a debate on @attheedgeofscience's decision. He was well aware, that he was out on an 'adventure'. Still waiting for his post-treatment thoughts, though.

• Informative Informative x 4
    8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @Hopeful : thanks for posting this. I think that many of us here share this same opinion about stem cells but we wanted to give attheedgeofscience the benefit of the doubt and hear about his adventure as he put it. Whatever the outcome, it was interesting nonetheless. I do wish the best for him.

Though stem cell therapies look promising, the science really is just not there yet especially in regards to hearing and tinnitus. Any time an opportunity arises, scammers come out of the woodwork Stem cell scams are no different than the "Tinnitus Miracle" type scams they just take much more of your money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21/stem-cell-therapy_n_1532086.html

9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks @Hopeful, very nice to get a pro's opinion on the matter.

Unfortunately, @attheedgeofscience has yet to answer me, and at this point I'm not very hopeful (no pun intended). I can't help but wonder what has happened, and still keep wishing he'll return. It's now been a month since the last time he visited the board.

I do have some of his personal contact information which he gave to me in confidence, but I don't feel comfortable reaching out to him that way, not yet anyway - email ought to be sufficient.

I bet we're all interested in how he's doing - and I bet we all appreciated his efforts greatly when he wrote the journal.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I have been in contact with the clinic and they claim to have treated 3 people with very good results. They even gave me a telephone number to a guy I could call, who would tell me of his experince - it is a bit suspicious, though, that this guy is 'currently in Bangkok'...

I have asked them for some evidence on the people they claim to have treated and asked them if they have some clinical trials they can share with me.

This is something ISSCR is going to know about. If they are straight out lying, it's fraud of the worst kind I can imagine. If they can provide some proof of validity I will likewise forward it to ISSCR.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Sounds familiar. They also told attheedgeofscience of that one patient who he could reach.

If it's a scam, it's a good tactic to increase confidence. Many people could be paid to pretend to have been benefited from a treatment...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I remember him mentioning that he had spoken to some kind of organisation, that recommended this clinic - I just can't find the quote. Am I wrong?

13. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes he did found the clinic through an organization. I can't find a public quote about the name though, only in the private discussion I had with him where he also mentions the organization's name.

Let me just say that the organization in question is very critical of ISSCR. They say that ISSCR's only function is to keep stem cells away from suffering patients...

I'd like to mention the organization's name, but since it was told to me in private, I'm hesitant. Even though the above might give it away...

Here's the public quote regarding the organization (from attheedgeofscience's Journal):

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      Oh. Was it 'such an organisation'. I raed it al worng, then.

But anyway, c'mon researchers! I still believe this to be one of the most well-paved roads to a tinnitus cure for a large variety of cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. Aaron
      Fine

Aaron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/22/2012
      "Hello Aaron: About inner ear hair cell regeneration, Prof. Stefan Heller in Stanford already derived hair cell from human ES successfully, his achievement has already been disclosed in Stem cell magazine. In China, Prof. Li Huawei in Fudan University is the top expert in hair cell regeneration and tinnitus as well, he keeps cooperating with Prof. Zhengyi Chen in Harvard Medical School, recently, they will disclosed some profound findings. About Tinnitus, is one of Li Huawei's most important research areas, mainly lead by Prof. Wang Tianfeng, I have CCed this email to Tianfeng, he will give you more message about the research process. We really hope our research could solve the problem for the patients.
      From R.J.Chai"

R.J.Chai: Just come back to China as professor, he did 4 years research in Stanford with Prof. Rissi and Alan Cheng, all about the inner ear hair cell regeneration.

Zhengyi Chen: Prof. in Harvard who cooperated with prof. Albert Edge, inner ear hair cell regeneration. I have also contacted him for a lot of times.

Will keep all you guys updated, I plan to meet R.J.Chai and Tianfeng Wang recently.

BTW, my lidocaine therapy is not effective so far, tomorrow is the last day.

Original email:
      "Aaron, 你好: 在毛细胞再生这一方面国际上stanford的Stefan Heller教授已经成功的从Human ES 分化出毛细胞,他的这部分工作已经发表在Stem Cell杂志上, 在国内复旦大学的李华伟教授是毛细胞再生和耳鸣方面研究的首屈一指的专家,华伟教授和Harvard的 Zhengyi教授一直有良好的合作,近期在毛细胞再生方面会有重大突破发表。 关于耳鸣,这是华伟教授团队的另一个主攻方向,主要由王天丰老师负责,这里我也把邮件抄送给他,请他给你介绍一下耳鸣研究方面的进展,非常希望能通过我们的研究工作解决病人患痛。 祝,马年快乐!
      人杰"

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Good luck!! Ill keep you in my prayers:))

• Like Like x 1
    17. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is interesting Aaron, thanks for sharing this with us !

18. SISKO
      Suicidal

SISKO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Is there only activities in inner Hair cell regeneration or outer cells as well ?

Does anybody know ?

19. Aaron
      Fine

Aaron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/22/2012
      The "Inner" here means inner ear, cochlear, outer hair cell(OHC) is one kind of "inner ear hair cell", which is definitely what they are focusing on

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Thanks Aaron you are so good.

21. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Hi Aaron. I cannot wait for this. Very excited. Does this mean you will be going for a meeting, or is it a treatment they are giving you?

22. Aaron
      Fine

Aaron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/22/2012
      Hi Kimbo Slice,

No, I am sorry that they cannot give me any treatment at this moment. But before, I think that the inner ear hair cell regeneration is something 10-15 years later at least, but now maybe, I only say maybe, thay are accelerating the process. I just plan to have a chat face to face with the two professors in Nanjing and Shanghai, ask some key questions and keep in touch with them.

Maybe we are closer than we expected, keep optimistic! When I was in university 5-8 years ago, there is even nothing called smart phone, but now, everybody use it all around the world, there is HOPE for us.;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      thanks, keep us updated m8 :)

24. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Yes thank you very much Aaron. We are all looking forward to hearing from you.

25. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

@Aaron- you are beautiful, man. It's the second coming of attheedgeofscience. You should rename yourself "attheedgeofschina" you dig it?(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. Aaron
      Fine

Aaron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/22/2012
      Thanks, your words are funny. Actually I didn't have any science background, I majored in finance at the university, but after getting the T, I have to push myself to the "edge".

27. Ornitoring

Ornitoring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma for repitition
      Hello peolple I have a question. Im haven't a lot of time of internet I hope not repeat the question in the forum. If it is the case I would like that you put a link where I can read. Thanks.

Website of Hyperacusis research wrote when finish Hearing Health Summit 2011 this sentence:

"a key issue with hyperacusis is getting solid evidence for whether or not hyperacusis patients have hair cell damage. Currently all methods to truly establish hair cell damage can only be done on a destroyed cochlea. In a follow-up discussion, Dr. Heller described that recent advances in optical tomography may soon enable this diagnostic tool to be able to view inside a live cochlea. That breakthrough would enable many in the study of the inner ear to gain much needed understanding for modeling the inner ear and help to finally answer the question for damage for hyperacusis patients"

Now we are in 2014... we know the answer? I would like if inner cell regeneration can be hyperacusis solution.

28. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      No one knows

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

http://hopestemcell.com/stem-cell-treatments/hearing-loss

This is the first time i've seen treatment for hearing loss promoted on stem cell clinics home pages. I mean, we now that lots of clinics will do that if you ask them, but they don't advertise it, yet. Maybe they don't have the critical amount of patients healed to be comfortable about it. From that logic, it seems that this clinic is. Could it be that they've done lots of patients, but not much information has spread out from China?

• Like Like x 1
    30. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member