Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for motivation, guys! I have also close contact to a top hair cell researcher for years and he once told, that he is very optimistic and excitied about their findings.... ofcourse, he can't say anything in years, but it's about his vision and his deepest interest to help us suffering people.
      And I think Hudson is also right, for the Pharma, this unmet market has huge pontential...

So head up again and wait the next positive news.

By the way: Genvec will held a presentation next week:
      http://ir.genvec.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=124130&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1905264&highlight=

2. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    3. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      @Hudson I agree there's potential for a company to make significant money, especially if it's the only company with a treatment. They don't even have to cure hearing loss really to make this money, but instead offering something that could say...restore 50% of someone's hearing. Same principle in regards to tinnitus too.

I think within the next 30 to 40 years there will most definitely have to be some type of treatment because you figure that 10 to 20 years should be enough for them to get the science to a level where they can perhaps have multiple treatments to clinically try.

@Champ I agree that just taking one or two at their word isn't that great, but who knows. The other person in the article, I think Ruebel (sp?), stated 20 years. The Hearing Restoration Project (HRP) and the Stanford Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss really both began I think in 2012. Both have roughly the same time line of 10 years for a cure and if you follow the HRP's time line then the upper limits time wise for this is about 13 years before clinical testing. However, I really don't know because I'm not a researcher.

I'm definitely interested to see how the Genvec clinical goes and whether it's effective at all or safe.

4. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2022.htm

In the final quarter of the page "Deafness is fully curable" by 2022. I think it's a pretty reasonable prediction. I hope by then it's going to be widely available and some of it covered by health care - very optimistic, i know.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    6. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 4
    7. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
    8. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      Man, I really wish my ears could have waited 10 years before giving up on me.

9. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      It's ok. I have a feeling we're both gonna make it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Same here... And with my luck I get some other thing which is not curable just before tinnitus can be cured... Knocking on wood! o_O Haha well trying to stay positive...

11. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      How Can a Chicken Cure Hearing Loss and...

WANT!

• Like Like x 3
    12. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    13. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lol i have shitty luck too that would be my luck also... But its not happenin! Will be curedddd!!!!! :)

15. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      They are saying that cure for tinnitus could be here in 10 years, it woud be silly if even before that there wouldn't be any treatment to reduce the sound! And after ten years I'm only 28 so I guess I have many years of silence left :) Imagine how weird it's going to be when we can sleep in TOTALLY SILENCE again... I bet that I still have to keep my white noise maskers beside me because they have been there for so long and I can't sleep without them anymore haha :D

• Like Like x 2
    16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Some guarded optimism is in order. I firmly believe there will be treatments available, either something that keeps tinnitus from getting worse or reduces the symptoms to a degree. I don't know if there will be anything that totally silences it in that time frame, but hell, I could be totally wrong. 10 years goes by much quicker than you think.

To quote Pink Floyd:

"And then one day you find,
      ten years have got behind you,
      No one told you when to run,
      You missed the starting gun"

• Like Like x 2
    17. JohnG

JohnG Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. JohnG

JohnG Guest

good video on the right

19. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I always think smartphones when we have to speak about timelines, it seems like it was just yesterday when they developed the first touchscreen phone and now we have iPhone 5!
      5G-technology.jpg

20. JohnG

JohnG Guest

Opps, tried to post a link and it failed. But Google: Neuron, Volume 77, Issue 1, 58-69, 9 January 2013

It has a nice video on the right

21. JohnG

JohnG Guest

seem doable before 10 years with Notch inhibition.

22. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Seriously, regardless of its potential to help me; hacking biology like this, millions of years of evolution is amazing. I follow the iphone jailbreaking community, and it's all about finding vulnerabilities in apples code, feels a lot like this. Find a piece of code in the human body that we can exploit and turn to our advantage!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      By 20124 mobiles shall be so small we will be able to see them only under a microscope:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    24. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Theyll be so smart that its going to be Planet of the Phones, we are their slaves by then.

• Like Like x 1
    25. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      And then the ringing will NEVER STOP!

• Funny Funny x 3
    26. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Did you guys see the GenVec presentation? So they will start there clinical programm with human patients soon for safety and efficacy.
      I think, it's looking a way positive. From what I understood, the delivery adenovirus is
      FDA approved?
      You can watch the presentation webcast (but you have to switch the slides by your self, upper right)
      http://ir.genvec.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=124130&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1905264&highlight=

Greets
      tomytl

• Like Like x 1
    27. JohnG

JohnG Guest

Thanks for that link Tomytl...I had to miss it. I remember about 20 years ago in university, I studied how inert viruses could be a vector to deliver treatment (like retroviruses) to splice in RNA/DNA sequences at specific loci. I'll watch this. Like one poster said..this is hacking nature like the jailbreak of the iPhone. But the iPhone is a simple ARM processor...crap really. The DNA is governed by many proteins that turn on/off replication for little protein factories that will make some protein that up/down regulates some part of the cell. Waaay more cool than a crappy iPhone. I'll go through this...

28. JohnG

JohnG Guest

Listened to GenVec. They claim 2 months out...regeneration has been observed in animal models. So the phase I trails will have an efficacious dose from the first patient. So this is happening fast if they are already talking about phase I FDA trials and getting a Novartis milestone after treating the first patient.

Interesting...too...an ENT will drill a hole in the staple..push in the syringe and inject the adnovirus.

29. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Does this mean that they are basically ready to try regenerate cells in human? (After phase I of course:)) They are moving very fast then. I thought trials would be possible after decades....

30. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes I think they will do some human trials soon. The adenovirus transport was used in other trials with safety, from,what I understood.
      So they probably can go forward to PhaseI to test safety and effacity of the regeneratimg drug.....
      Would be interestimg what other researchers find about. So they also think, they can regenerate hearing in adults.
      Very interesting, if it really works.

• Like Like x 1