Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2000, but real bad since 06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to Dis-dissapoint you ;), but

"[...]the Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) for the Phase 1/2 clinical trial of CGF166 in patients with severe to profound hearing loss has recommended that the trial continue, [...]"

http://ir.genvec.com/press-releases...vides-update-on-hearing-loss-clinical-program

See also the last few posts in the GenVec thread:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/denver-man-gets-gene-therapy-to-restore-hearing.7312/page-11

• Like Like x 1
    2. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I love how... everyday are more news about the subject.
      its a good time to be alive :D

4. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Hi All
      I have a question but I don't know if it is silly or not. As I do not know the real cause of my tinnitus, I'm also not sure if it is related to a damage to auditory nerve or hearing cells. So will it still be safe to take a part in that treatment without knowing the certain damage?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. rsmcfar

rsmcfar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/28/2014
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Hi Poyraz, can you explain more of this treatment?

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      ear-in-a-dish-to-increase-volume-in-research
      I really like these jumps forward.
      Must be so practical to be able to experiment on ear tissue in a Petri dish.
      Unfortunately I also read. quote:
      "And although Trebley says “it’s a long way off,” the vision exists to use a patient’s stem cells to create missing parts of the inner ear".
      There we go again:banghead:. How long is a long way off?
      But also should be excellent news for animals. The less animals used the better it is for these unfortunate creatures.

8. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Hi Nick
      I meant stem cell theraphy. I'm not taking any treatment currently.

9. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I wouldn't look too much into the long way off statement. I'm pretty sure its just him guessing. I think he is just saying that by dumping a bunch of stem cells into the ear, it isnt going to get your hearing back, and pretty sure most of the researchers know this. They need to find the right process, or combination of process and chemicals and maybe ear specific stem cells to do this. Most of the ideas out there are still only getting maybe 20-50% of an animals hearing back. Once they figure out how to get to 100% is when they will succeed and I think that is still a ways off.

Either way this is good news and it should really accelerate the research being done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm also interested to know what part of the inner ear they specifically are speaking about. Inside the cochlea, or the neurons between the brain and the cochlea?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      What's interesting about the "ear in a dish" story is that the story don't mention the just-published article where the IU researchers along with researchers from Harvard report that they grew apparently functional vestibular hair cells in a 3d culture. They don't talk as much about cochlear hair cells, but presumably that is on their radar. Link to article:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160524/ncomms11508/full/ncomms11508.html#ref15

Here's a press release from Boston Children's Hospital with some cool pictures. http://vector.childrenshospital.org/2016/05/inner-ear-dish/

• Like Like x 3
    13. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    14. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I was perplexed by the recent news stories on the "ear in a dish" because of that earlier Nature paper. There were also other stories on it in the last couple of years. (http://news.iu.edu/releases/2015/09/Ear-in-a-dish-IU-startup-auricyte-innovation-showcase.shtml) It seems as though the news article is more about the involvement of the biotech company.

As far as the difference between the papers, from what I can tell the new paper goes into much more detail about the functional properties of the hair cells. This quote from the discussion in the 2016 paper may summarize the difference

15. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Aaron123 . Thanks.
      I am fascinated by what they accomplished. It must be so much easier to study the cells in a dish. I hope it accelerates research.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, would this by chance lead to a cure most likely in 10 years? I don't know why I ask anymore.....I really don't.

17. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Jd! dont feel bad about asking this question, is normal, is your health, you wanna get better.
      you wanna know, well hopefully less than 10 years.
      there are a lot others things going on besides this study, there are more and more.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Here's some information about a start-up working on *non-invasive* drug delivery to the middle and inner ear using magnetics! They are able to use magnets to *push* nanoparticles into a rat inner ear, but they are doing it at a distance - 4 cm - that would work for a human. In some of the following they specifically mention usefulness for tinnitus and hearing loss. They are also looking at middle ear drug delivery without going through the ear drum. They have received NSF funding and will be exhibiting at an international biotech conference in June.

If something like this works, I wonder how it would work to get the meds in a nano form that would work with such a system. Regardless, here's some information.

Company: http://otomagnetics.net/

2014 article describing the process/challenges/timeline/etc: http://www.controlofmems.umd.edu/pu...reClinical-Magnetic-Ear-Delivery-ENTA2014.pdf

Press release: http://www.bioe.umd.edu/news/news_story.php?id=8035

Academic paper from 2013: http://www.controlofmems.umd.edu/pu...ct-IntoInnerEar-AtHuman-Distances-Jan2013.pdf

Web page with info about additional academic projects/publications/etc http://www.controlofmems.umd.edu/index.html

• Like Like x 8
    19. Jd, may I ask how bad your hearing is?

20. Leon909
      Ape-like

Leon909 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I have been reading the links you guys share and these are the ones makes me keep alive. Thank you all.

But do we know if these studies will be also efficient for tinnitus? Sorry I do not have any idea about science so I need to ask this stupid question.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      If your tinnitus is caused by hearing loss then it could work!?

23. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
    24. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      yes you have some kind of hearing loss, maybe above 8Mhz, you need to make an audiogram above 8 Mhz

• Like Like x 1
    25. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    26. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    27. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really don't understand at all why these programs focus so much on hair cell damage. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have damaged the actual hair cells of their cochleas through cell ototoxicity......but acoustic trauma seems so faulty to me. I've bumped into many sites online talking about "temporary hearing loss" and how many people develop it after going to a concert or being at a loud event. They freely state the fact that some hair cells have been damaged because of the loud noise, which has "bent" the hair cells and some how over a period of time they will reform back to their original position. Just like how many people diagnosed with hearing loss, which I'm sure are told they have hair cell damage and who are fitted with hearing aids, still can't hear/process properly with louder noises going on around them in let's say a social situation.

Why are there researchers (ex: Prof. Charles Liberman) out there proving that acoustic trauma to the inner ear results in a massive loss of cochlear nerve fibers and no suspected damage to the sensory cells inside the cochlea? Then you have tons and tons of programs/researchers out there studying and displaying hair cell damage from an assortment of factors. If hair cells really capture all that is needed with ones actual ability to hear sound, then hearing aids should completely solve the problem? Adding more hair cells so that we pick up more frequencies is not going to allow us to "hear" more fluently. Hearing is all processed in the brain. It's the brain and the chemicals involved in its neurons/nervous system that allow us to hear the way we do. It's not the outer hair cells that amplify sound but the nerve fibers (mainly efferent) that amplify frequencies into our brain so that we can correctly process what has been picked up by the hair cell(s) the nerve is associated with.

It really just does not make sense with the way hair cells are being researched. I'm not against it, but I really understood how exaggerated it is when I realized just how important our hearing "processing ability" is. I think it's actually dangerous for those who have ringing to partake in regrowth of new hair cells in the cochlea because there really is no way to tell if you have actual hair cell loss and as you know, these hair cells have to be perfectly aligned/working properly and adding more than needed could cause havoc instead of being for the better.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, what has really changed? It seems everyone is basically pursuing gene therapy, stim cells, and notch therapy. Everyone in the research world seems to be on the same page as to what needs to be done.

I'm confused what the hold up is at this point? One company is already doing human trials with gene therapy. Other companies and research had success with animal models.

Why is nothing really happening more with human trials?

29. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      well becouse all has failed, we will see what happen in 10 years

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      because this is all very, very new technology and you really don't want to mess with genetic tech in humans until you're very sure how it works and what it's going to do.

I'll be excited about hearing regeneration and novel tinnitus treatments once they have been proven to work in a large number of humans. Until then, I am only excited about them from the perspective of the interesting things that the work is teaching us about ourselves.

• Like Like x 1