Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      There is a lot of politics involved.

Stephen Spring - Inner Ear R&D -...

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If tinnitus is and will be incurable, why are you wasting your precious time in a research forum?

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      We are coming up on the start of Q3 2017. Has anyone heard more from Spiral?

4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      It's not even June yet! :) Give it more time.

At least they have started working on their website now.

http://spiraltx.com/

spiraltx.png

5. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      http://houghear.org/research/ (At the bottom of the text)

their aim is to be able to obtain FDA approval within the next 3-5 years
      Is this a product on the market, Or clinical trial?

• Like Like x 2
    6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Market

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Maybe someone could do a post with all the known biotech corps. listed currently underway for cellular repair of the ear.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 5
    9. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      Yes, BUT they mention the preventive therapy not the regeneration therapy

10. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think we have all reasons to be optimistic. The only thing which is very unclear in many statements of all these companies and researcher.
      Could they ever regenerate hair cells in an adult cochlea? Most of the time they speak about embryo or new born..
      Does someone know a statement where they claim in an adult cochlea?

11. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
    12. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      rivolta.jpg

UXjw46G.jpg
      Was reading a vestibular implant paper by Fornos & Van De Berg, and look who got a mention. :D You don't often see language like this used in research articles, but somebody obviously brought it to their attention. They must have been in shock reading it, still subscribing eye exercises from the 1900's for dizziness, so reading Rivolta & Chen must be like alien technology to them. :blackalien:

Source https://www.docdroid.net/W2mckP1/th...the-human-balance-system-2017.pdf.html#page=2

• Like Like x 5
    13. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yes, but there is also this:

They should probably formulate better what they mean by FDA approval, for what therapy, preventive or regenerative.

14. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prevention is what i understand as far as it has to do with the trials

15. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      I still don't get some companies whole antioxidant push. Why are they taking so much time to produce something that is a gloried multivitamin? Whats the payoff a margin improvement over multivitamins for a treatment that you have to apply within the first couple hours of noise damage. Its a kinda rhetorical question cause I know they will sell this to US military. But it just doesn't seem that ground breaking or useful imho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      That's pharma for you. They will simply fail over and over again. Just sit back and laugh.

17. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it is, unfortunately its not suitable for the majority of us inside here but it will be for sure a step forward, i just wish they will focus more on regeneration therapies

Ps. It just happens that i did get my acoustic trauma during my military service and during that time i had to deal with lots of them among the stuff as a doctor, believe me its really common and unfortunate among them

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      I don't doubt it and understand that servicemen experience true suffering from tinnitus. My point is that the antioxidant route is not the most useful route for hearing damage. You need to either provide and ingest/get dosed with it prior to noise damage or very very shortly after. If you are going to anticipate noise damage (say shooting range) then people should be forced to wear earmuffs over earplugs. If noise damage is going to be unexpected then it might cause logistical problems accessing the medicine if the person was say in the field. Also the improvement factor is by definition limited.

I get that antioxidants are a lot easier to make then regeneration techniques but its also less practical and by definition not tremendously effective in real life.

so I'm not sure it is clear that its a step forward.

19. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Look at Antinitus, they had some approval that made their product believable.
      Antinitus or Banana?

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Does anyone know if it's possible for stereocilia to be damaged by noise but the cell structures themselves live on, despite this damage? I hope not, as I worry that the distortions I have in my hearing may be because of damaged rather than lost cells (that could potentially be replaced with a regenerative therapy)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Stereocilias are part of these cell structures.

191331e9f9a2ae0258e536ea2a3176fb.jpg

There are several different locations where you can have a damage. Stereocilias can break off at the root. They can also break without breaking off completely. There is also something called a tip link that links stereocilias together. These can break off as well.

gr3.jpg

I would not wish or hope for that. Until we have a technology to peek inside a living cochlea and see what's actually damaged, it will all remain pretty much a guess work. Right now my own stereocilias, even if damaged, are probably doing a much better work than anything that scientists can come up with in a lab.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The distortions i guess are what we call recruitment right? I have it also much less now after two months from my acoustic trauma but i hope its gonna get better

23. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I have heard different opinions on this. What you mean: is there sufficient cellular architecture post lesion for functional recovery of the organ. It is the 64 thousand dollar question. In severe acute neuritis of the vestibular organ, sometimes the disconnected canals begin to disintegrate a few months thereafter and the debris falls into the remaining functional canal causing secondary positional vertigo. Loose otoconia are also theorized to be a cause of menieres where the debris might clog up the various drainage systems of the ear.
      Can saccular otoconia cause...
      Whats interesting is that post postmortems often reveal different levels of remaining function. If the damage is localised to HC's themselves say for instance aminoglycoside poisoning you would theoretically still have fully functioning nerves under each, just with no sensory cell information to be passed down through the ganglion. But say it was a blunt trauma or a compression like a schwannomma this would essentially be an ischemic type injury that starves the ear cells of oxygenated blood, I have read in the literature before that a glass pipette placed over the primary vascular supply to the superior vestibular nerve (in mouse) for just 10 seconds can cause irreversible damage to the organ, so like the eye, the ear is "extremely" oxygen hungry. What we need is non invasive imaging of the ear that can show microscopic damage. What we need, is a time machine! :blackalien:

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Yes we must appreciate what remains in our ears for now.
      Do have a listen to this chap, he studies mechanotransduction and thinks we have greatly underestimated the capabilities of the ear. He does not think in straight lines.
      Human Hearing - Theory & Discussion with...

25. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What you describe as distortion may be the result of recruitment, yes.

Here is a good explanation of that.

I can only speak of my own experience. I had hyperacusis, and some phonophobia. After about 3 months it started getting better. This may depend on the severity of the damage. I have NIHL as a result of listening to music for long hours on headphones and earphones, and a recent acoustic trauma which is most likely the reason for my tinnitus.

My main issue right now is tinnitus. I am much more cautious about my hearing, but not overprotective. I try to preserve what I have left of my good hearing, until there is some kind of therapy available to "cure" tinnitus. I do think that an effective hearing restoration might help reduce tinnitus. But this will take some time. I can't wait to see an end to this discussion. Once the results come in from clinical trials for hearing restoration, we will know for sure if it helps tinnitus or not. If it does, that's great! If it doesn't, the sooner we can know, the sooner we can put our money elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. LukeT130

LukeT130 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD?
      I know this has been asked a billion times but, are we close? I don't want the "every day we draw closer" answer. I mean are we *really* close. Like, within 5 years?

Also, if a cure is found and someone who has tinnitus has it reduce drastically or even disappear all together could that person be exposed to loud noise again and have loud noticeable tinnitus again? Would they be able to use the cure again? How would that even work?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    27. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I understand recruitment is quite rare. You can find sound-bites on the internet to recognise recruitment. Provided you still have one "good" ear like I have.
      I also experience distortion. (not recruitment). My noise trauma happened over two years ago. I still experience this distortion, but at higher sound levels than , lets say, one year ago. So even after more than one year post trauma I experience small improvement. When I make a very rough guess, I think it happens with sound levels over 70 dB. Very rough guess, because it is also very frequency dependent.

28. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thats also my case, high dbs and i notice, lower and not so much

29. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      In order to hit the 5 year mark we are looking at a clinical trial beginning now and being successful. The general consensus is the Genvec trials are not going to pan out. Right now you have Frequency Therapeutics and Audion beginning clinical trials within 12 months or so. If they are successful then yes 5 years.

My advice at this point would be to try and carry on with your life knowing that we will have something in 10 to 20 years, but I think 5 is pushing it.

If you T is due to hearing loss and hearing is restored there is a lot of evidence that suggests T could go away or at least be minimally invasive at that point.

If they get your hearing fixed and you damage it again due to a loud noise, T will return. Theoretically with Frequency you could use the cure again since they don't use up your supporting cells. Each cure will be different so one that uses up your supporting cells, you may not be able to do again, but even then they could come out with something else.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    30. DARREN R
      Fine

DARREN R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from loud music
      I don't mean to sound so pessimistic. I'm sorry for the suffering we're all going through. Life shouldn't be like this for any of us. I come here for hope just like everyone else. When you read all the research mentioned in these posts it's pretty clear that there is still a great deal unknown. The Genvec trials have been unsuccessful so far and they're only testing it on profoundly deaf candidates anyway. The frequency treatment is aimed at chronic hearing loss. Even if they are both successful these treatments will most likely only be available to people with severe hearing loss first.

Since most people with T usually have mild loss or even no loss there's simply no way they would try these treatments on them. Most of us here would need a much more precise treatment that could target the specific haircells we have lost or damaged ( assuming that's even the cause of your T). Birds can actually do this and regenerate the specific haircells lost like a new tooth sprouting up. We need to get that ability transfered to the human cochlea somehow.

We also need a ton of money and research put into this to accelerate the progress which is being made. All we can do is remain hopeful that these trials will be successful and some good insight gained from it. The treatments will need to be refined much further before they can be used for T or mild loss though. How long that takes is completely unknown at this stage. I'd like to believe it will be sooner rather than later but I'm sure we'd all agree that it's not going fast enough.