Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    2. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      "The gift will allow Mass. Eye and Ear to provide long-term sustained research support in the areas of hearing and balance, seed new Chairs for faculty and enable recruitment of additional world-leading hearing researchers. Scientists at the Eaton-Peabody Laboratories are focused on understanding hearing from the outer ear to the brain, with the goal of pursuing new treatment strategies for hearing loss and other hearing impairments such as tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and hyperacusis (painful hearing sensitivity), as well as balance disorder"

Sounds good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I believe they are needing 200 million dollar by 2020 to fully fund all the research that they want to do. They are at 150 million now. To get everything moving at a quicker pace, more fundraising would help. I think I read in the article that everyone can help. I think every little bit helps, and I will be doing my part to help. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

I always liked to imagine if i won the megamillions i'd donate most of it to tinnitus research. I'm so happy to see this. Whenever I donate I usually donate to Richard Salvi at SUNY Buffalo though.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      What about Brian Johnson of AC/DC? :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My point of view on tinitus is that our supporting hear cell and nerves are healthy, only the cilia are damaged. It is like that the cilia instead to be straight are floded as when they vibrates due to sounds. In other words our cilia are broken! Is this probably what happen to us? Please advice

7. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Let me just clear up some of the confusion. There are three main types of cells. These are:
      • Hair cells
      • Supporting cells
      • Nerve cells
      Cilia are not cells, they are part of the hair cells.

Now, it is said that there are different reasons for tinnitus. I myself am not convinced. I think all forms of tinnitus have a common cause, they just haven't figured out the exact mechanisms of it all yet.

As for noise induced tinnitus, the prevailing theory is that it is the synapses that are damaged first, before the hair cells or supporting cells.

Yes! Hair cells can be damaged, as well as synapses and nerves.

Hazards of Sound Exposure

Yes, if the damage is severe enough they can break off instantly, giving you not only tinnitus but also deafness for life.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      There are a lot of researchers working on inner ear hair cell regeneration. I believe it offers the most hope of a treatment for deafness and hopefully tinnitus too. Some researches are confident that there will be a treatment of this kind available within the next 5 years.
      This area of research gives me some degree of hope.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    10. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    11. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      although not mention directly in the article, the process for hair cell regeneration falls into the regeneritive or RMAT (regenerative medicine advanced therapy) designation. Hopefully this will speed up the process for freq tx and other companies.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      There is SH1T loads of cash just waiting to be used in California, CIRM have insane money, its really supposed to generate business in that state etc BUT there are mechanisms by which you could have a holding office in the state to fund large projects somwhere else, its funny cuz they have to use it up otherwise it gets cut, so they BEGGING labs to apply for grants! Just thought I would point out that gap.

14. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that companies like Frequency could apply for CIRM grants if they chose to move their business to California?

15. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Yes. How are scientists supposed to pay for their 5 million dollar condos and sports cars if not with Cali state money!

16. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      So this is the loophole? Frequency and the like could open an office in California, get the funding, and do their business in Massachusetts?

They get to keep the funds even after being discovered that they are doing their business elsewhere and not in California?

Interesting concept! :D

Indeed, that is a shitload of money! :eek:

What happened to CIRM since that, did they extend the funding?

• Like Like x 2
    17. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I spoke to someone there and they explained there are legal ways of doing this. Its not necessarily illegal per se. But with frequency, I get the impression they want to keep their business tight and everything in house...including prospective profit.

18. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Let's just call it grey area! :)

As far as I'm concerned, anything that can push the therapies forward is very much welcome, be it that we must cross a green, grey or a red tape.

• Like Like x 2
    19. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Has anything changed recently? Is there a cure soon? Been watching this thread and know about frequency and I think decibel. Are there any others? Is there a projected timeframe for a cure for hearing loss for those who has lost it? Just really need some hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The earliest in my humble opinion from everything that is going on currently maybe in five years and if only everything runs perfectly (meeting or exceeding expected results in each phase).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    21. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      Good thing is that there are companies not regulated by FDA outside of US and EU, i just think that maybe things are speeding up more under these circumstances

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    24. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
    25. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    26. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Came across this last night elsewhere,
      just thought I would share.

----------------------------------------
      December 30, 2016
      As we are approaching the end of this year, I wanted to point out an event which probably has "flown under the radar" for a lot of people, but, where we can expect more highlights in the coming year. Several years ago, the Florida Hospital for Children initiated a clinical trial concerning congenital and acquired hearing loss in children. The point of the investigation was to examine the potential efficacy of stem cells in children. The 10-patient trial reached its completion this year (incl. the subsequent patient evaluations). Publication of results is expected early next year. However, from a person affiliated with the hospital, I managed to learn ahead of the release of the official results that positive effects from the study had been observed. Being a trial (as opposed to a single-patient case study), there is obviously much more scientific rigour involved. In addition, this is the first trial specifically conducted with the aim of proving / disproving efficacy of cord blood-derived stem cells for the treatment of hearing loss in children. The attachment presentation takes a look at the science behind stem cells and the rationale for attempting the therapy for hearing loss, specifically. The stem cells used were delivered intravenously. The presentation references at least two peer reviewed papers:

1) www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23165382
      2) www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18819255

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Informative Informative x 3
    27. BohemianLife
      No Mood

BohemianLife Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I wish we had cord blood too. :(

28. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The study that they are talking about, are they using the same method as ATTHEEDGEOFSCIENCE had when he went for his stem cell treatment in Thailand? Or am I seeing this wrong?

29. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      An update on companies involved in HL research (not just regenerating hair cells): https://www.biocentury.com/biocentu...6-02/how-hearing-loss-became-investable-space I don't have a subscription so I haven't read the entire article. Of note is the graphic. What follows is a quote from Figure 1

"The majority of hearing loss programs have anti-inflammatory and/or anti-apoptotic properties that aim to prevent hearing loss or stop it from progressing. Some of these, such as brimapitide from Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ:EARS) and Otividex dexamethasone otic gel from Otonomy Inc. (NASDAQ:OTIC), are exploiting advanced delivery technologies that should reduce treatment burden and improve efficacy over off-label steroids.

At least two in this category, SENS-401 from Sensorion S.A. (Euronext:ALSEN) and AF243 from Affichem S.A., may also promote repair of axons and synapses. Compounds in the otoprotective category below protect sensory neurons by other types of mechanisms.

At least nine companies aim to reverse hearing loss that has already occurred by regenerating lost hair cells or synapses. The only regenerative program in the clinic is CGF166, a gene therapy from Novartis AG (NYSE:NVS; SIX:NOVN) and GenVec Inc. (NASDAQ:GNVC) that uses a recombinant adenovirus 5 (Ad5) vector to deliver the atonal homolog 1 (ATOH1; HATH1) transcription factor. Acousia Therapeutics GmbH, Audion Therapeutics B.V., Decibel Therapeutics Inc., Inception 3 Inc., Otologic Pharmaceutics Inc. and Otonomy each have undisclosed regenerative therapies in preclinical development not shown below.

Autifony Therapeutics Ltd. is the only company targeting the CNS component of hearing. AUT00063 modulates potassium channels in the brain to enhance central auditory processing.

The chart includes lead indication for each program. Those not specifically noted with “prevent” are intended to treat their respective indications. (A) Spiral Therapeutics Inc. has an option to BN201 and BN119 for inner ear disorders and anticipates making a decision by 3Q17; (B) GenVec Inc. is being acquired by Intrexon Corp. (NYSE:XON); (C) Phase I/II ongoing; JNK = c-jun N-terminal kinase; LXR = liver X receptor; PGF2 alpha = prostaglandin F2 alpha receptor; NFE2L2 = nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2 (NRF2); PPAR = peroxisome proliferation activated receptor; KCNC1 = potassium channel Kv3.1; APAF1 = apoptotic peptidase activating factor 1 (APAF1); SGK2 = serum/glucocorticoid regulated kinase 2; CDKN1B = cyclin dependent kinase inhibitor 1B; Source: BCIQ: BioCentury Online Intelligence, company press releases, company interviews

BC-Hearing_GFX_Piplelinepos_web_i.jpg
      "

• Informative Informative x 9
      • Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Thanks for this