Insomnia, anxiety, depression, exhausted

Discussion in 'Support' started by DutchGuy, Dec 12, 2014.

1. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I really need an AD for this asap. Please don't come up with natural stuff/go out for a walk etc. as it doesn't work for me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thanks for the link. I have to wait months before I can get an AD and referral to a psychiatrist. Even the mental crisisteam refused to visit me. First you have to be suicidal!
      My GP don't prescribes AD's (while others do!). Neighbours, family, friends go to their GP and they hand AD's out like candy. My GP is anti medication yet he is willing to prescribing benzos. Benzos only work for a short time, and tapering off ativan was hell: Restless elgs, insomnia, sweating, nightmares.

An AD can help me for a longer time.

Before H and T, I already had GAD and OCD/PTSD. I always wanted to treat it the natural way, but now with tinnitus and hyperacusis I really can't coop anymore. Every day is hell. Almost a half year of sleeping 2/3/4 hours.

I tried mindfullness stuff, breathing exercises, sorry but didn't help me enough.

Is L-Tryptofan working for severe anxiety?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Ok, I went to the GP, he will call mental healthcare Monday with the compelling advice that I need an AD asap.
      So hopefully I will see a psychiatrist soon.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Any of the common ones should be able to help: Venlafaxine, Sertraline, Paroxetine.

Keep us updated.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
    7. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Why do you have to wait so long over there? It doesn't seem like a very good system. In the short term, Doxylamine is quite a good drug for getting you to sleep. You may be able to buy it on the high street over there but if not you can certainly find it on eBay.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Beacause of unawareness of H and T I think.
      Menthal healtcare psychologist made mistake I think, they think my problem is somatic, so she wanted me too see psychiatrist at the hospital.

My GP will help me now to get fast referral back to mental healthcare institute and will explain them exactly what my problem is and put pressure on it. I've been treated before there for my GAD, I think that they think it's just GAD, so they underestimate my H and T problem.

I have temazepam now for sleeping.

9. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I hope it helps and things should soon start looking up.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Marcini do you have H? What is you experience with H? Did you have any treatment that helped?
      Some say it will subside over time, while others have it for a long time without improvement.
      My H is a much bigger problem for me than T.

11. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @DutchGuy I've had H very bad at times from 2011 but it's not been too bad recently. I've had the face on fire feeling, sharp pain and distorted hearing. Thankfully now I only have slightly distorted hearing at certain frequencies. Unfortunately the T itself is worse than ever and very high pitched at the minute. I too have trouble sleeping, anxiety and depression and like you have lived with GAD for a number of years. I will probably try an AD too before long.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Marcini Sorry to hear that, was your T low when it began? Did you ever try an AD before? I don't know what you mean with "before long". I have T. for 51/2 months now and H for 3/2 months. Sometimes I feel a little bit of pain in my left T ear. My heaaring is not distorted, but all sounds are louder.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      A lot of people with H also have GAD, maybe it's due to shortage of serotonin production in the brain. I really hope an AD can help. T maybe be a cause of loud sounds, but the H might be of the fear and insomnia the T gave me.

14. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Yes, it was very low but the advice I read at the time was that T wasn't progressive so I continued to go out to loud venues only for the T to get to where it is now. Well it's flared up at the minute but hopefully it will settle eventually.

"Before long" just means shortly so maybe this month or next. I have been prescribed 3 earlier this year: Sertraline, Mirtazapine and Trazodone but was too scared to take any of them. I've never taken any AD before. At least I know I can start when I want since I have them still.

15. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DutchGuy

Whatever you do NOT paroxetine as one of the side effects it can cause deafness!! plus insomnia.....and numerous other side effects.
      Just trying to be helpful.
      Just trying to help.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I also have never taken AD's before, I I'm also scared to take them. What loud venues did you went to?
      I'm not going to concerts, loud cinemas, pubs. i'm scared my T. will increase.
      Good for you that H. has not been been bad recently. Maybe tour T also will go down.

Have you ever thought if doing TRT?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thanks @amandine. I just was searching for that. I also read some bad stuff about it.

18. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      I would recommend mirtazapine it's a really good sleep aid,antidepressant
      I used it for a while and still do from time to time.
      I had no sides from it take before bed and it puts me out no groginess in morning.
      15 mg per night takes about two weeks as antidepressant or 7.5 mg is Also sedating depends what your looking for.
      Also plenty of exercise.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Shaun you also had anxiety? And you have or had H?
      Maybe I also should ask the doctors over here.

20. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DutchGuy

Trazadone is good for women but can be dangerous for men.

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Yes mate I do suffer with anxiety doesn't everyone a bit.the Mirtz seemed to help although I do have other ways of coping with t.
      the h has cleared up its worth a try hope this helps.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thanks, good to read again that H can get better or go away.
      H sucks even more than T for me personally.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thank you all guys and gal.

24. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I went to a lot of rock concerts and night clubs.

I hope so. It's bad at the minute because of stress, anxiety and not sleeping too well. I need to get that under control.

Paroxetine sounds pretty hardcore but meant to be very good for GAD. There are millions of people taking it in the world and deafness is very unlikely. Probably best start on an a less invasive one like sertraline or mirtazapine.

• Like Like x 1
    25. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DutchGuy
      @Marcini
      Please read this link to see about paroxetine or paxil as it also known.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/c...aroxetine-paxil-cause-sudden-hearing-loss.php

please read the posts users of this drug have sent in especially this bit:

I have to report that since the initial episode my loss on both side has progressed to the stage where without high powered aids I am now totally deaf and I drew on both my past training as an audiologist and later as a medical detailer and followed up literature on this drug. If one cares to do so they will find hidden in the drug companies blurb that under the heading of OTHER SPECIAL SIDE EFFECTS that acknowledge tinnitus, hyperacusis and deafness as possible side effects, well hidden on about page 18 of their original data, and now on page 37 of the latest ” PRESCRIBING INFORMATION
      PAXIL
      ®
      (paroxetine hydrochloride)
      Tablets and Oral Suspension

and here is the extract…

“Special Senses:
      Frequent : Tinnitus;
      Infrequent: Abnormality of accommodation,
      conjunctivitis, ear pain, eye pain, keratoconjunctivitis, mydriasis, otitis media;
      Rare: Amblyopia,
      anisocoria, blepharitis, cataract, conjunctival
      edema, corneal ulcer, deafness, exophthalmos, eye
      hemorrhage, glaucoma, hyperacusis” and so on.

then make your decisions after reading this.
      Just trying to help cos the docs wont care after the damage is done.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Thanks for sharing. I never liked the sound of paxil too much anyway but this makes for bad reading.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      So that H always needs treatment is a misunderstanding? You guys are the prove?
      @Marcini @Shaun Did your H improve in time just by doing nothing special for it?
      Just go outside and let your ears get used to all day sounds which can't damage the ears?

I'm aware I have to avoid loud things like concerts or loud cinemas etc.

28. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Yes that's basically all I did. You just need to build your tolerance back up. Do normal activities where you can. Avoid excessively noisy places but sounds under 85bD certainly won't do any harm. A lot of people say start with low levels of noise and build up until you're back to normal. I just went about things as usual and endured a few weeks of pain. I don't really know what the official advice is but it worked for me, on the H front at least.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I must be thinking there is no official advice, ofcourse people at TRT clinics would say do TRT.
      So you also went out in city traffic? Like walking on a street with much traffic?
      But a car horn can be 110 Db.

When you use electrical garden tools you must plug or wear ear muffs. But that's obvious cause also people without T and H must protect the ears if they use those tools.
      http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/decibel guide/default.asp

30. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Yes definitely protect your ears when using any noisy machinery. Any prolonged sound over 85dB requires some protection or avoidance. I did walk the streets when there was traffic. People never use horns over here so that was never a problem for me so I don't really know what to advise there.

Sorry I can't give any better advice but H is very poorly understood by anyone. I can only say what worked for me.