Insomnia

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mukul Kumar Sharma, Mar 13, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. I guess most of us suffer from either sleeplessness or too much of sleep. Personally I suffer from insomnia. Whether it is coz of my work related stress or something else I know not but I can never go off to sleep till late in the morning. A couple of hours of sleep and I am done. The rest of the day is spend in a weird kind of dizziness. I really miss a good nap.

2. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hi Mukul, Welcome to the group. Insomnia was a real problem for me as well. Can you give a little more info, I looked at your profile and couldn't get if your insomnia is tinnitus related or not. If it is caused by your tinnitus I can tell you what I did to relieve it.

3. Hey Jim! It's very much tinnitus related. Can you please help out?

4. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I guess you read my post under "Sleep Strategies". I don't know that I have much more to add. I was pretty much a walking zombie due to no sleep. The stress and fatigue were killing me. I would finally fall asleep when exhausted only to wake in an hour or so. I had to drug myself. Then I started to stress about taking sleep drugs. At the present time I sleep with earphones with masking sounds ("sound enrichment") all night and I take about 2 mg of ambien to get myself to fall asleep. I used to take an additional 2 mg at 2am if I woke up but that doesn't happen anymore. My doc tells me not to stress about taking the small amount of ambien so I don't anymore. Not like I have a choice though. I tried several other drugs and settled on ambien because of the minimal side effects for me. Some nights I can sleep without the ambien but not often. I'm so used to the earphones now that I probably would continue to wear them even if the T vanish. I actually like wearing them now. They block out noise that would otherwise disturb my sleep. I don't ever take a nap. I try to be really tired when I go to bed and get up when I awaken in the morning. I don't like to recommend taking drugs to sleep, I wouldn't if I didn't have to, but it saved me. Good luck.

5. Thanks a lot man... Hope it helps me too... No harm in trying 4 a few days... Thanks again... :)

6. rogerg

rogerg Member

Pills can be helpful but as Jim wrote external sounds are crucial. Birds chirping, thunderstorms, pouring rain.. whatever. Some like a radio station tuned to "middle",, or pink/white/brown noise...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1