Intermittent Hissing Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris_havinghope, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Chris_havinghope
      Crappy

Chris_havinghope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs early on. Recent acoustic trauma made it worse.
      Hi guys, kind of new here. Recently exposed myself to acoustic trauma on dec. 28th when I went out with some friends partying. Ever since then my ear ringing has gotten better with time.

However, recently I’ve been having this electric hiss in my ears (mostly right), and it comes and goes. Yesterday it got really bad. I thought I could mask it but noise just seemed to aggravate it all the more. Not sure if that’s hyperacusis or reactive tinnitus.

Just wanted any advice or views on what my intermittent electric hissing can be. Are my ears healing since it’s not 24/7?

Thank you. Any advice is useful. I feel alone and depressed right now.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That would be my guess.

Also, the fact that it is a hiss and not a high pitch tone means that you haven't hurt your ears as much as many of us here.

Try to protect your ears from noise, from now on, and it ought to go away. But now it will be easier for you to get T again, so if it goes away, continue staying away from loud noises...

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris_havinghope
      Crappy

Chris_havinghope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs early on. Recent acoustic trauma made it worse.
      The thing is, I’ve had T for years now. But barely noticeable most of the time. Yesterday I had a high pitch/ hiss in my right ear. It went down after a while and didn’t come back until this morning.

It seems to react to my environment as well for some reason. But only when I have it. It disappears at times.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    5. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I have this sound from my acoustic trauma from a gunshot...it almost goes away like yours and "speeds up" from intermentant to constant his as well. My stays low for a couple days but then I start reading about T and I get anxious and agravate it. It doesn't react to sound for me just my reaction to sounds sets it off as I am mostly in a state of anxiety now.