Intratympanic Dexamethasone Injection and Alprazolam (Xanax) for Acute Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      did any body try this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22109762

Abstract
      OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS:

Because in most cases the development of tinnitus is triggered by cochlear damage, there exists the opportunity to eliminate tinnitus while the cochlear lesion is still reversible. Therefore, we evaluated the therapeutic effects of various treatment modalities on acute subjective idiopathic tinnitus (SIT) and investigated prognostic factors affecting the treatment outcome.
      STUDY DESIGN:

Prospective, controlled, double-blind trial.
      METHODS:

A total 107 patients who underwent treatment for unilateral SIT that had developed within the previous 3 months completed the study. The patients were randomly assigned into three groups according to the treatment modality: group I (n = 32), alprazolam orally for 3 months; group II (n = 35), as for group I plus four intratympanic dexamethasone (ITD) injections; and group III (n = 40), as for group II plus four intravenous injections of lipo-prostaglandin E(1) .
      RESULTS:

The improvement rate of group II (75.8%) was significantly higher than that of group I (40.3%; P < .05), and there was no significant difference in the improvement rate of group III (50.0%) compared with groups I and II (P > .05). The cure rates of group II (25.8%) and group III (20.0%) were significantly higher than that of group I (9.8%; P < .05). There was a significant correlation between the cure rate and duration of symptoms.
      CONCLUSIONS:

The results of the present study indicate that ITD injection plus alprazolam medication is the best treatment choice for acute SIT within 3 months of development.

2. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think its widely acknowledged that most T results from cochlear damage and this damage can be caused from acoustic trauma, drugs or injury.

What I find interesting about this is the use of Alprazolam, a Benzodiazepine. I would seem that there's an understanding that the emotional side of T is important (as per Jastreboff) and by giving this med they are eliminating the anxiety element of T at the beginning. Very interesting. Unless Alprazolam does something other than relieve anxiety?

4. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      There was a short discussion on Xanax (Alprazolam) shortly after I joined this forum. From the post and what I've read, a professional won't prescribe it for tinnitus as it's not approved for such, and that if one specifically asks for it to treat those symptoms it definitely will not be prescribed. Not having the funds or insurance at present to see such a professional, or at least get a few educated opinions, I don't know how true this is. I did put out an inquiry if a person could obtain Xanax or something nearly equivalent online through a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy, but got no response.

5. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You are right, few doctors will prescribe drugs for 'off-label' uses. You have to just say its for anxiety caused by T. Thats acceptable to them. I actually managed to get some prescribed yesterday. I want to take them as suggested in a study (Jack Vernons) I think it was where 76% got benefit.

Sorry you dont have insurance. Does that mean you cant see a doctor? You must be able to surely if you are ill?

6. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Let me know how the Xanax works for you. Probably takes maybe two or three weeks to come to any sort of conclusion on results, right? Regarding doctors, its not an option except in case of a real emergency. Neither my wife nor I have insurance at present, hence no healthcare. Two final interviews with potential employers next week, both of whom offer benefits after about three months. Her job offers no benefits whatsoever. Crossing our fingers...

7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I hope you get that job. Its hideous not being able to get healthcare.

Clonazepam worked immediately for me and Xanax is a Benzo too so I'd expect to see some results on the first tablet. I will let you know.

8. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Thanks. I do appreciate your posts.

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I did have the dexamethasone perfusions thru the eardrum (ouch) in 2010 at Paparella & 2011 at Shea. It was done in left ear only and not done within 90 days of initial T. I would not recommend at this time.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      did it help? I am about 90 days from the onset now

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Not definite, that is why I don't really recommend. But your case may be different, if you are within the time window you are talking about. I had a sense of off balance at Paparella after the injections there. They were 1 injection on 3 consecutive days. If it was so great everybody would be getting them.