Introducing Myself and My Situation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GamingT, Jul 7, 2017.

1. GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss due to loud headphones, possibly depression
      Hello,

American here. I am 2 months in now with my tinnitus. Not sure on what caused it; just went to bed on May 8th 2017 like normal and woke up in middle of night with ringing in my right ear. Eventually started hearing in my left though not as bad. Saw regular doctor who saw redness in eardrums and tried antihistamines; no improvement. Saw ENT dr who removed wax buildup in right ear, but no noticeable relief from T. Didn't like that ENT; just said no pill to cure it, you have to live with it. Went online searching and found Audiologist who himself has T due to being in the military. Did ear/audio exam; no noticeable hearing loss. Ears looked good, drums looked good, no negative ear pressure or signs of Eustachian tube disorder. After talking for awhile, audiologist can only think of two reasons: TMJ and/or anxiety/stress.

Have appointment with dentist to get TMJ examined end of July here. I have noticed that if I open mouth wide that T gets little louder, as well as turning head all the way to left or right. For anxiety/stress, I do struggle with anxiety/depression and last few years have been really bad for me. Work problems, car problems, finance problems, family problems, marriage problems, apartment neighbor problems. I am starting to see a therapist and working on lowering stress/anxiety.

I am mixed on it being hearing loss/acoustic trauma even though hearing exam says I don't have it. I don't go to clubs, bars, concerts...last time I was at a concert was 10 years ago and even then when I did go I would be in the back due to being poor and they weren't loud bands. I do wear earbuds a lot at work, while gaming and exercising, however, they are set at around 50% volume, nothing blasting. So, yeah, no idea on what is cause.

For what I am doing now, I am working on anxiety/stress, stopped drinking caffeine, stopped eating fast food, started eating more vegetables. Started taking Ginkgo Biloba 120mg, men's multivitamin, cod liver oil and drinking V8 juice per recommendation of audiologist. Also started using Nasal spray just in case. Not seeing any noticeable help yet. I have also bought speakers at work and have stopped using earbuds.

My T I would say is mild. My left ear is very mild and easily masked by other sounds; my right ear is more louder but can be masked with music. Would rate left ear 1 - 2, and right ear around a 4. I would gladly accept left ear T as it is if it means right ear would go away. Takes a little bit longer to fall asleep, but I am able to.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to try? Has anyone had there T as a result of anxiety go away or get better when anxiety improved? Going to pick up some Magnesium this weekend and see if that helps.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @GamingT

I think the cause of your tinnitus is in the clue to your ID Gaming. Do you use headphones regularly? If so you have probably been listening at too high a volume for quite some time and as a result tinnitus has developed. If this is the case then I advise you to stop using heaphones even at low volume. Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus and hyperacusis. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey, I actually came across the article you listed and read before my hearing exam appointment and it is what convinced me to stop wearing headphones a few weeks ago. It is very informative and thank you for your insight.

My id says GamingT because before I did the hearing exam with Audiologist couple of weeks ago, I was convinced that that is the cause of my T from browsing forums here. However, after meeting the Audiologist, and hearing exam not detecting any hearing loss, and the audiologist saying he does not think this is a result of audio trauma, I am now doubtful about that theory now.

I did not wear headphones all the time. When I did, the volume of headphones was set to around 50% and always turned down volume some in the game options. Additionally, I do not play multiplayer games, so no 14 year olds screaming in my ears. I would also a lot play with just 1 headphone in my left ear so I could hear my wife from my right one.

So, it might be or it might be something else. Just right now even with hearing exam saying no, I just cannot see another cause other than anxiety/stress.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments about my article @GamingT they are much appreciated. Not having any hearing loss does not mean that your tinnitus wasn't caused by loud noise. I didn't have any hearing loss and suffered noise trauma using headphones. With respect I disagree with your Audiologist and believe your tinnitus was caused my headphone use even though you might not realise it. It is either headphone use or your auditory system being exposed to loud sounds. If it isn't that, then it's an underlying medical condtion that is causing it. My feeling it was caused by headphones. Please follow the advice given in my articles as I think it will help you. I wouldn't use headphones even at low volume if I were you but it's your choice. Use sound enrichment at night.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could try taking vitamin B12 (or vitamin B complex) and NAC (search this forum for more info about NAC).

Try to protect your ears from things like the vacuum cleaner, lawn mower and blender...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update 8/2/2017:

As stated in previous post, audiologist did not find any measurable hearing loss and recommended I see a TMJ/TMD dentist to have jaw looked at. Recently visited him and he found evidence of jaw misalignment that could be causing tinnitus. On his recommendation, going to get some custom dental nightguards to wear to realign jaw. No guarantee that this will help, but there is a chance and I have to pursue it. Even lowering T volume would be worth it.

Praying and hoping for the best.

7. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Such a helpful comment!!!!! :mad:. These 'professionals' should not be permitted in these kind of roles and are completely unaware of how harmful these comments are to vulnerable, stressed individuals!!!! :sour:

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully agree with you @Vicki14 Those comments are very harmful as it reinforces the negative belief that nothing can be done for tinnitus. In fact, the negative reinforcement is done in many instances before seeing a GP and hearing the comments: "It's tinnitus, nothing can be done you have to learn to live with it". As many people do these days, they first go to the Internet for information on health issues and there they will find plenty of information about tinnitus. Some of it positive and also negative.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Totally agree @Michael Leigh. An Audiologist told my friend @Bear0211 'Tinnitus can drive you crazy' :facepalm:. I thought this was utterly appalling for someone in his position to vocalise to someone who was suffering so obviously!!!! We know this, but for it to be confirmed really is rubbing salt into an already gaping wound!!!! :bored:

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree @Vicki14 totally wrong. I know Bearo211 she has quite severe hyperaucusis and hasn't had much luck with the WNGs.

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I had every DR, ENT and audiologist laugh at me, when i told them i had ringing in my ears. This was in 88. They can be very cruel....

• Agree Agree x 1