Introduction (Maybe Re-Introduction)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Moe Shinola, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Moe Shinola

Moe Shinola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nerve damage, loud music
      Hi folks, I think this is my first post but it might not be, I haven't been on here in awhile. I'm a part-time musician in the midwest, this year I'll be 50 years old. My first experience with ear problems was when I went to a metal show in the early 90s, not realizing that I'd have to get right in front of the stage to hear the guitarist, but didn't bring earplugs. I had ear pain for a few days. Later, by about '97, I noticed hissing when it was quiet. In '99, I was assaulted and sustained head injuries that required staples(beaten with metal pipe) and in the last 10 years I notice the hissing to be louder, and to get worse at certain times of year, when winter sets in, when spring sets in. Where I live the air pressure changes a lot, and I think that exacerbates the hissing. An audiologist once told me that he thought I have nerve damage from the assault, since I have almost zero hearing loss, and I've kept my sound pressure levels down since the assault(never use earbuds, keeps the radio down in the car). This year so far it's been real bad. I think I probably need my ears cleaned out and my soon upsoming doctor visit should help. Also, I have diabetes, which I haven't managed as well as I should, but that should change this week. And last of all, I underwwent successful treatment for lymphoma in 2002, and had chemo + radiation. I don't know how all these things affect my tinnitus, but I'm really done with just tuning it out since it's so loud now all the time. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Moe, I too have had life threatening health issues, then just when I got over the last one the T started. I understand what it is like to have gone through all you have had, then of all things get T

I take Valium it's a Benzos, there are others like Xanax. Perhaps you're Dr can prescribe these to you. They of course do not take the T away, but makes it more tolerable for me.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Moe Shinola

Moe Shinola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nerve damage, loud music
      Thanks, Gary, I'll mention it to my new Dr. If you mean SSRIs, I would need something that dosen't raise blood sugar, I know that some of them do. I'm not sure what kind of drug Valium is, though.

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Valium and Xanax are tranquilizers, many here are helped by them. They lower you're anxiety and help you chill out. If any thing they should lower you're blood pressure. Your Dr will understand when you mention there drugs. SSRI's are antidepressants.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Moe Shinola

Moe Shinola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nerve damage, loud music
      God, it's been bad today.

6. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Hey @Moe Shinola

Sounds like you've been through quite a bit :huganimation:
      Have you tried any sort of alternative treatments during the years, like herbal supplements & the likes?