Is Anyone Here a Barista? Coffee Shops Are Pretty Loud — Any Impact on Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Foamearplugssuck, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Foamearplugssuck
      Depressed

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Hey, I have noise induced tinnitus, and I'm looking for a part time job while I attend college. I know it's corny, but I really want to be a barista. I love coffee, and it just seems like a cool gig to me.

Anyways, coffee shops are pretty loud, especially behind the counter where there are espresso beans grinding and what not. So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with that kind of work and how it impacted them/their tinnitus.

Thanks!

2. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Coffee lover here, used to have a professional electric grinder that I have since replaced by a hand grinder. The grinding and milk frothing are the loudest. The espresso pump less so. In a bar, they mostly grind a bigger batch every hour or so although I'm sure you know it's best to grind just before every coffee. When grinding with a doser you don't need to stand close for the duration of the grinding. There's always earplugs too but that would probably hamper communication. All in all I don't think the noise levels are considered dangerously loud.
      I'm not a barista btw. Home user.

Source:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4749437/

3. MattS
      Relaxed

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I don't have experience working there, but I can tell you that as a customer I try to sit as far from the coffee grinder as possible because that noise is poison to tinnitus sufferers. I would probably not advise that job, though obviously if you're thinking about you may be more tolerant of noise than I am.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Check under a rock for a barista... better odds.

5. Djstarkiss
      Badass

Djstarkiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You should go for it. I doubt it’s loud enough to do harm I chill in coffee shops on the regular.

6. MattS
      Relaxed

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I still grind every morning with an electric. But I cover my ears tight during the event.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The switch to hand grinder was more a choice of keeping the wife happy as the grinder was bigger than the coffee machine and not very pretty on the countertop. it's not a choice I regret. There's some good hand burr grinders and they are less of a fuss to clean. Supposedly the lower speeds also mean less heat which would be better for your eventual coffee. Not that I have noticed.
      I even learnt to switch arms during the grinding process when one arm gets tired. I guess you could say my tinnitus made me ambidextrous.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MattS
      Relaxed

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Man becomes ambidextrous! Success story! :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      On a side note: stopping coffee was another thing that was suggested by my ENT. That was a pretty miserable week!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MattS
      Relaxed

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Ha, yes, I got the same advice, though at least my audiologist admitted that it was probably not going to do anything, but might as well try/experiment. Sadly, that week taught me that I am indeed caffeine addicted.

11. Mister Muso
      Busy

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      5 seconds on, 10 seconds off.

Just like at the dentist.