Is Anyone Here a Barista? Coffee Shops Are Pretty Loud — Any Impact on Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Foamearplugssuck, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Hey, I have noise induced tinnitus, and I'm looking for a part time job while I attend college. I know it's corny, but I really want to be a barista. I love coffee, and it just seems like a cool gig to me.

Anyways, coffee shops are pretty loud, especially behind the counter where there are espresso beans grinding and what not. So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with that kind of work and how it impacted them/their tinnitus.

Thanks!

2. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Coffee lover here, used to have a professional electric grinder that I have since replaced by a hand grinder. The grinding and milk frothing are the loudest. The espresso pump less so. In a bar, they mostly grind a bigger batch every hour or so although I'm sure you know it's best to grind just before every coffee. When grinding with a doser you don't need to stand close for the duration of the grinding. There's always earplugs too but that would probably hamper communication. All in all I don't think the noise levels are considered dangerously loud.
      I'm not a barista btw. Home user.

Source:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4749437/

3. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I don't have experience working there, but I can tell you that as a customer I try to sit as far from the coffee grinder as possible because that noise is poison to tinnitus sufferers. I would probably not advise that job, though obviously if you're thinking about you may be more tolerant of noise than I am.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Check under a rock for a barista... better odds.

5. Djstarkiss
      Badass

Djstarkiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You should go for it. I doubt it’s loud enough to do harm I chill in coffee shops on the regular.

6. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I still grind every morning with an electric. But I cover my ears tight during the event.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The switch to hand grinder was more a choice of keeping the wife happy as the grinder was bigger than the coffee machine and not very pretty on the countertop. it's not a choice I regret. There's some good hand burr grinders and they are less of a fuss to clean. Supposedly the lower speeds also mean less heat which would be better for your eventual coffee. Not that I have noticed.
      I even learnt to switch arms during the grinding process when one arm gets tired. I guess you could say my tinnitus made me ambidextrous.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Man becomes ambidextrous! Success story! :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      On a side note: stopping coffee was another thing that was suggested by my ENT. That was a pretty miserable week!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Ha, yes, I got the same advice, though at least my audiologist admitted that it was probably not going to do anything, but might as well try/experiment. Sadly, that week taught me that I am indeed caffeine addicted.

11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      5 seconds on, 10 seconds off.

Just like at the dentist.

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      For the grinder, just use ear muffs, keep them handy.

Also, there is one study paper on the effect of caffeine and how it affects recovery from noise trauma:

Say what? Caffeine could impair recovery of hearing loss

So after a coffee grinder caused some hearing loss, the following cups of coffee will further inhibit hearing recovery... pretty depressing story for coffee lovers.