Is Audiogram Worth It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike jones, Oct 21, 2016.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Did your doctor offer you any treatment to try to slow down the progression of the disease? Typically it's fluoride+calcium, but more recently I read about reasonable success rates with bisphosphonates (it's more experimental though).

2. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      He did not say that I actually had otosclerosis. He just thought I might. I'm content to leave it there. Surgery does not interest me. That seems to be the only positive way to diagnose. Exploratory surgery? Nope! My hearing loss and ringing don't bother me enough to risk it. He even mention the BAHA. Nope! That surgery doesn't appeal to me either. I would be losing more than I gain!

As for fluoride, that is not recommended for people with low thyroid. Makes it worse.

I looked up otosclerosis. I didn't seem to fit the profile. I don't see it in my family. It's supposed to start at a younger age than I am. I really think that most of my hearing loss is due to the ringing masking the sounds around me. (And the loud sounds I'm exposed to.) I really should have objected to that repeating of the tuning fork... That hurt! It was too close to my ears and too loud. It seems my ringing is louder today... Phooey!

Now to go back to the audiologist to be fitted with my hearing aid. We will see what he can do for me.

Thank you GregCa for your concerns and suggestions! It's all welcome! I would do the same for the next person.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Cool. I hope you don't have it.
      But you should know that you don't have to fit the profile to have it. I am a living proof of it. Nobody in my family has it, or any ear issues actually. I'm a male (it affects females mostly, 2 to 1).

A CT scan could be a nice addition to the data set. If your neurotologist can see lucencies in it, s/he may have a very strong suspicion about O.

4. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      You are right! I don't fit the profile for other things either, but yet, I have those too.

At least I know I can insist on a CT scan to confirm instead of exploratory surgery! Yikes! Why use the most invasive method, when safer alternative exist?

5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The answer to that is that a CT interpretation is less definitive. It will however give you a much higher confidence level on the probability that you have O.
      If you opt for surgery, you should know that no surgeon worth his/her salt should proceed with an unnecessary stapedotomy if s/he realizes there is no sign of otosclerosis when s/he opens up the ear drum. Have this made clear in pre-op of course for peace of mind. Essentially you are bundling up the exploration with the "real surgery".

6. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Thank you! That's how I understood it. I go back to check with the ENT in a year to see how things are going.

I have done so much driving around that my ringing is louder. Road noise contributes... What can I do that doesn't increase this ringing? Oh well... I ignore it pretty well... But I want to prevent it too!