Is Fluctuation Normal on the Road to Fading?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John CC, Aug 13, 2018.

1. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My car volume is set to 15 and neither goes up or down...music is played with windows up. Never had issues. =]

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have had tinnitus for a short while and therfore I don't believe you have given sound enrichment enough time to work. It must be used correctly and regularly and given plenty of time to work. Recovering from noise trauma takes time and each person is different. If hyperacusis is present this complicates matters. In addition to this one's personality has a major influence on a person's recovery and habituation. The fact that you broke down in doctor's office (nothing to be ashamed of) is an indication that you have a way to go. You are not there yet. Tinnitus is not something that can be easily managed. I feel your reluctance to try medication (AD) hasn't really helped you and made this process more difficult.

I wish you well.
      Michael

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This was on day 3 of my T journey. Today is day 563.
      What medication?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Antidepressant. I am not a doctor so do not comment on specific medications. There are people in this forum that are against them and I know you are one of these people. The fact of the matter is, antidepressants and other medications can help one's mental welbeing and emotional state considerably. In the majority of cases they do not make tinnitus worse. Again, it is fear caused by reading negative posts and choosing not to take these medications when their doctor rightly recommends them. I do not wish to get into a long debate with you on this Bill, for I know your views so choose to end it here.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is something I haven't looked into, and something I know very little about. I don't have an opinion about whether or not this could help someone who is not taking their T well. For all I know, back when I cried uncontrollably multiple times a day, every day, I might have benefited from this. I am no longer at that stage, so I don't think something like that would be right for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I think the key point in the noise exposure debate is someone with tinnitus is likely to be more sensitive to sound and needs to be careful in terms of noise exposure. This will vary from person to person - I, for example, can tolerate most moderate level noise in everyday situations and classical concerts but would avoid concerts with sound amplification and avoid cinemas as their sound systems are crazily loud these days. Wearing earplugs at a concert or cinema may help but isn't a guarantee of safety.

• Like Like x 1
    7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @coffee_girl

You can let this one go if you prefer not to discuss. I don't want to hit you with a wall of questions but you seem so positive I wonder if I can emulate you. May I ask
      1. How loud your t was when you first got it?
      2. How loud it was 8 months to a year later when you got to your baseline?
      3. How loud it is now?
      4. Final one, do you know the cause of your t?
      Thank you!

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Np, ask away!

1. Mine was pretty severe, about 8.5/10..i could hear it over most every day sounds.
      2. The severe T lasted until about 5 months...then dramatically reduced in volume until month 8...and continued to fade until now.
      3. Right now it is about 1/10...i don't hear it at all unless i drink coffee or get really stressed out..when that happens it is a 2/10. Some days i have to search to find it and i have to be in a very quiet room, even my dog breathing will mask it.
      4. I think i had T all my life from noise exposure (chinese new years every year with firecrackers)...it was worsened by a concert and being too close to the stage. I was so surprised it even went down.

• Like Like x 2
    9. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @coffee_girl

Thank you for the info. That gives me some hope.

It's good to know that things started to go down in month 5 and continue to go down, even a little at a time. I keep holding out hope that patience and time is going to help.

Thank you for the info and sending positivity around TT.

• Hug Hug x 1