Is Garlic Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Mar 25, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, my tooth abscess is getting painful, I read on the earth clinic website garlic an effective remedy.

Because garlic is so potent I was wondering if it is ototoxic or not?

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I dont think food is ototoxic. Even if it has smth that could be ototoxic, it all depends on the dose and in garlic its probbly very small. Also, meds that can be ototoxic dont necessarilty have to be. Why dont you visit a dentist with your tooth? It could be come inflammatory and dangerous, it could ruin your jaw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Stina, there's like a 2 week wait to see my dentist, just while I was waiting I was going to use alternative methods, garlic being one of them.

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Maybe you should take smth against inflammation, such as ibumetin. Just in case. Maybe visit the ER and ask. Seriously, teeth can cause A LOT of problems. If it gets very bad it could go into your blood and so on. try visiting a GP or ER to get antibiotics or smth or to get faster help. The antibiotics ending in -cillin shouldnt be ototoxic:)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the warning, I've heard of abscesses turning nasty and causing blood poisoning (sepsis) but I'm going to give the garlic ago, if no improvements in a few days I will see a doctor. :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Like Like x 2
    7. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Only side effect I know of is garlic breath ;).

• Like Like x 1
    8. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Hopefully no one gets upset with me resurrecting an older thread. I've finally had a day of reduced T and was trying to figure out if I made any changes to my diet.

I did some reading here. http://www.naturalnews.com/031021_tinnitus_inflammation.html

"These pro-inflammatory mediators cause an increase in vasoconstriction and platelet aggregation. This decreases blood flow into the smaller capillaries of the body such as the inner ear. This inflammatory process also increases the lymphatic fluid in the inner ear. This combination increases pressure in the inner ear which stimulates the auditory nerve enough to create a series of action potentials that the brain interprets as sound.

The presence of inflammatory based tinnitus is a warning sign that the entire body is inflamed and disease processes are forming rapidly. Most inflammatory conditions can be reversed through diet and lifestyle modifications and the use of beneficial supplementation.

Begin eating an anti-inflammatory diet that consists of phytonutrient dense fruits & vegetables, healthy fat sources, and grass-fed/free-range animal products. Keep sugar & grains to a minimum. Use coconut, olive oil, grass-fed meat, free range eggs, avocados, nuts/seeds, and non-starchy vegetables as primary fuels throughout the day. Load up on anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, ginger, dandelion, oregano, garlic, & green tea. The primary fruits that should be used are low-sugar, anti-oxidant rich sources such as berries, lemons/ limes, & grapefruits."

So naturally I did a search for "phytonutrient dense fruits & vegetables," and then ended up here. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/phytonutrientrich-meal-plan-9631.html

"Your dinner should also emphasize vegetables and whole grains. Try new ethnic or vegetarian recipes, which generally include more phytonutrients. If you like Asian style meals, try a stir-fry that includes peppers, broccoli, eggplant, carrots, onions, garlic, herbs and tofu with brown rice. For a hearty dish, make an Indian curry with potatoes, chickpeas, squash, peas and onions. If Mexican food is more your style, try black bean and vegetable burritos with a whole wheat tortilla topped with fresh chopped tomatoes and onions or guacamole."
      Typically I cook Asian, Indian, Mexican and Italian dishes all the time and I've never noticed a change in my T unless I eat out. Garlic I normally use from a jar or a small garlic clove. Last night however I bought an Elephant Garlic Bulb. This garlic clove was more than 6 or 10 times the size of a normal one. In fact I was sure it would ruin the stir-fry because it was way too much. I sort of messed up and put the garlic in too soon because most of it soaked into the eggplant. I also tried a new oil called Macadamia nut oil. It has a nice ground nutty taste that is very much like peanut oil but lighter in flavor as a vegetable oil substitute. The reason for this oil was to get more Omega 3's in my diet without using flax-seed or overpowering flavors of olive oil. I used half the bottle, that's was about $6 worth, but this was food for 6 people.

For the last few weeks my T has been putting me over the edge with a month long spike. I've been trying every supplement and avoidance techniques that you will find in these forums. After eating 6 or 10 times the amount of garlic than I normally eat, it was not until the next day that I woke up to my T being reduced. On a scale from 1 ~ 10 my Tinnitus has been at a 7 ~ 8 most days. But for whatever reason today my T has been around a 3 ~ 4 with a few small spikes mostly from the extreme noises of children playing. I don't know if diet is the key or a combination of many things, but lord help me if something as simple as eating garlic will reduce my T I will welcome the garlic breath. Just being realistic, I've learned to never get my hopes up prematurely, so for now I'm just going to keep eating lots of garlic and see if this reduced T continues. Inflammation could very well be a problem for myself and Tinnitus. Clearly the signs are pointing in that direction from everything such as high blood pressure, prediabetes, cholesterol, triglycerides, joint pains, muscle pains and allergies.

As we speak my T has been going up a little bit, my blood pressure is rising, probably from writing and reading on this dumb monitor screen in the dark. Whelp here's to keeping up the good fight! :joyful:

9. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I know this thread is old, but I wanted to respond. I had brochitis and tried to treat it naturally by eating raw garlic cloves. I noticed my T increasing and couldn't figure out why. The only change I had made was the 4 cloves of raw garlic I was eating. If you do a search on raw garlic it contains salicylic acid which is known to be ototoxic. Curry, which someone mentioned, is also off the charts in terms of salicyclic acid concentrations. I'm sure in regular doses such as in a meal it's fine. But I went well above the normal dose. As soon as I went off the garlic, my T calmed down a little bit only to spike again.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Huh. I routinely eat entire cloves of the stuff raw. No problems for me... but I don't think I'm sensitive to salicylates; aspirin doesn't affect me either.

Note that the kind of tinnitus/ototoxicity caused by salicylates is self-limiting and reverses itself over time: http://www.wong.ro/oto/clifton.html

• Like Like x 2
    11. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      @linearb That's very reassuring to hear. I was going crazy for a couple of days with the spike in my T.

• Hug Hug x 1