Is Hydroxyzine Safe? Getting a Lot of Panic Attacks, Need Something to Help Myself

Discussion in 'Support' started by Snake, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      Hi, I have very stressful time right now regarding my tinnitus (dental work...) and I need some help. My panic attacks are so strong that I'm literally shaking and it's hard to take a breath.

I got Hydroxyzine 25mg, but is it safe? I saw some posts on Tinnitus Talk that makes me think that it's ototoxic medicine. If so then what can I take and ask doctors about? I need something, I can't take this stress by myself.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      did you try the drug? How did it go for you?

3. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I think people here will tell you nearly everything is ototoxic.. Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine, not an antibioitic or some other thing actually known to be ototoxic. I recently took hydroxyzine for the first time, also 25mg. I found 25mg to be way too strong for me.

30 minutes or so after taking it, I started to feel dizzy and tired, and I fell asleep. I woke up at some point during the night to pee, and maybe once or twice after that. Each time I woke up, I was able to get back to sleep without any effort. In the morning I was very groggy and didn't feel too well rested that day.

I later checked with the pharmacist to see if it's OK to split the pills, and they said yes, so next time I will try a smaller dose. Hopefully I don't need it too often though.

4. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I should've picked this over Xanax. This is probably safer overall.

5. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So why don't more people use this as opposed to the more stronger ones?

6. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I don't think the distinction is strong vs weak, but rather addictive vs non-addictive. I would say that hydroxyzine is definitely a very strong medication - no pill I've ever taken has knocked me out the way does. In fact, it may be too strong in that regard.

I think many doctors prescribe drugs recklessly. Thankfully, my dr is very much against sleeping pills like ambien, and against using benzos unless absolutely necessary.

7. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is very interesting, because I have taken Diphenhydramine in the past and it didn't really have any effect on me. I was told Hydroxyzine is just a stronger version of it. How does it compare with Ambien for instance? Have you taken it?

8. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I’ve never taken ambien, but hydroxyzine’s effect on me is way stronger than diphenhydramine or doxylamine.

9. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Just my 2 cents for anyone else with the same question;

I've taken Hydroxyzine (Atarax) during spans of 1-2 days just to sleep back when I had my onset of tinnitus, it did not cause any worsening.

At one point though, I took the drug for 7 consecutive days and at the 4th-5th day I developed many new tones in tinnitus. Most tones is still remaining 3 months later, some is gone. During this time though, I began to sound deprive my hearing, so that could also have been a factor.

I'm not a doctor, but based on my experience, I'd say that Hydroxyzine is overall safe, but be very careful if you intend to use it on more than 3 consecutive days. If you notice changes in your tinnitus; quit it.