Is It Advisable to Use EarPlugs on Public Transport?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Nov 25, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Just wondering if it's advisable to use ear plugs on public transport?
      Average noise on the buses is 80-90+ dB and my trip hoes for 45 mins one way.
      With some hot weather here in Oz but aircons are on all the time making ita really noise ride.
      It's not that noise bothers me a lot but it's more about the fear of any further damage and worsening t.
      Thanks!

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I would say if this doesn't irritate your T you are fine. If you want slight protection, try cotton.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Thanks @Telis !
      I'm very paranoid with my ears so I have been using plugs a lot lately on public transport.
      My tolerance of loud noises is going down so I don't want to end up wearing them all the time.
      But this crazy fear of any louder sounds is just overwhelming:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah if you want something in between...just a bit of protection, cotton is not bad. Just roll it up tight before you put it in your ears to increase the density, then kind of mould it into your ear canal.

5. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      hi!

I use public transport (bus) and I measured the db level which was around 80db.

Some days, it bothers me more, either because the bus is older and makes more noiseor because people talk very loud. When I feel slight discomfort, I just put in my plugs.

6. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I always use earplugs on public transport, busses and trams can get very noisy and they usually are very crowded , it is ok to use earplugs for 45 minutes, just don't wear them all day.

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I would use it ..I don't think our ears are meant to hear such loud noises - specially if our ear are damaged now .

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Dr. Charlie

Dr. Charlie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1997
      Absolutely! You must wear ear plugs anytime you are exposed to loud noise for any extended period of time. The fact that you are on this forum indicates that your ears already have a problem. Why risk subjecting them to further injury? Forget cotton balls. Invest in a reliable pair of ear plugs designed for musicians or for firing ranges.

http://www.etymotic.com/er20.html

Bless you,

Dr Charlie

• Like Like x 1
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah ear plugs can be too much at times so don't forget cotton. I can not wear ear plugs playing hockey, it is impossible. My T is perceived so loud with all that protection I literally can not stand it. Going over bumps in the ice is like my tinnitus is on a spring board. I skate outside now, no hockey, it's too loud. I have just started to use cotton in my ear canal, a toque and ears muffs. Not too much protection as I can't handle this while on the ice (again bone condition/vibration with plugs in is very very tough to handle) this seems to be just right.