Is It Legal to Make the Experimental Drug SF0034 at a University Chemistry Lab?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 19, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I am pretty sure it would be illegal to sell it but I was wondering if it was legal to make it as an individual but not sell it. I don't know the law. The reason I ask is because they tell how to make it in this journal: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/35/23/8829.full . It looks like Potiga with an extra Fluorine atom. To be honest, I'm no chemist so I can't do it and also I guess if people tried it, it maybe could be dangerous. I'm just curious why they tell people how to make it I guess.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      Good question Jason.

I guess you could develop it and not tell the police.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      It's probably patent violation -- especially since the synthesis here depends on having already synthesized Potiga, which is both patented and being sold actively by the patent holder.

That said -- the legal issues are, overall, a very small part of why this is an unrealistic idea.

4. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      To give you all some background, according to the Tinnitus Talk Survey, a drug named Potiga helped some people with tinnitus but there supposedly can be some bad side effects with this drug like skin turning blue or eye abnormalities so a company basically took the drug and added a fluorine atom to it with the intention being that it has less side effects, but from what I know they haven't done the clinical trials. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.