Is It Possible to Cope with Tinnitus — No Matter How Loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TinniTom, Feb 10, 2017.

1. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi all!

Because my T starts very, very loud on my left ear right now I'm asking myself if it doesn't matter how loud it is to cope it? Or do you think there is a point where it is impossible to cope it?

Even if I have T for about 20 years and of course I had a few very bad days with it I'm a bit (or a bit more) afraid if I can overcome it this time :( I really try not freaking out, but really hard this time.

Two weeks ago I had a bad cold and maybe I was alone at home to often and had to much time to think about T which isn't good. But just now I'm struggling with it. However, I really hope it gets better soon.

Wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,
      A cold virus can spike tinnitus and take time to settle but I know it's the here and now that is the hardest part when our ears are having a rave.
      You can take a mucous linctus or steam inhalation and have sound on around you that you can relax too and reward yourself with something nice keep your mood up.

There is a lovely CD by Semus Byrne called the healer that is so nice to relax too..
      Do what you can to relax and I'm sure over the weekend it will settle a little...lots of love Glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Many thanks Glynis!! You are one of the heroes here and I really appreciate your answer! I really hope you are right.
      I wish you all the best!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      What is loud according to you?

If it's as loud as the music in Tomorrowland, it might be hard to cope with. If it is what most people consider to be loud for T ("I can hear it all day long but the shower masks it"), it's certainly possible to habituate.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Good question,.. yes, I can hear it over all but not when showering. What is "Tomorrowland"? I know just the movie, but I bet you do not mean this.

It's hard to explain, it's not only the volume at the moment but kind of a slight pressure and pulsating "blood-hissing" or something like this.

Thanks for you answer!

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tomorrowland is one of the largest music festivals worldwide.

And if you don't hear it in the shower it's certainly not too loud to cope with. I agree with your comment that the tone can be more important than the volume though. I get different sounds and I prefer my louder high-pitched tone over a lower fluctuating hissing sound I sometimes get.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      oh, ok, feeling a bit embarrassing now. :oops:

I really think the pulsating hissing which I just hear in silence is freaking me out. I hope it fades out soon and I do not have to live with it.

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      People have t as loud as a music festival?? Wtf???

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good question Rubenslash. Although most people can cope with loud tinnitus, when it spikes for instance. If this level of intensity is sustained it can become unbearable and therefore, I believe habituation does have limitations.
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      I hope you are wrong! And if I'm honest your post is very counterproductive even though it is true

11. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Lying is productive ?

You ask a question, be prepared for the answers. Maybe you ask the wrong question.

No matter how loud your T is, you have to face it. What are the strategies to do so ? Maybe that's the question.

12. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Does yours get unbearable Michael?

13. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      People can put up with anything, chronic pain, degenerative diseases, loss of senses etc. We are amazingly resilient creatures. I remind myself often that it could always be worse. However there is always something to be grateful for and this mere thought changes things at a primal level.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Of course not, I just meant if someone is struggeling with loud T he wouldn't like to hear this can't be cope and he is f*** up.

But you are right, I asked something and got a honest question.
      Sorry

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sam Bridge @Tinn @Foncky

Hi Sam,

To answer your question in full and for it to be honest, it will make uncomfortable reading for those people that want everything dressed up in neat little bows and sugar coated. I am a positive thinking person but at the same time try to be a realist. Tinnitus is not a joke or something trivial, otherwise I wouldn’t spend my time writing posts in this forum as other members do. We know how serious and debilitating this condition can be when it is loud and intrusive.

It is for this reason, I advise people that have tinnitus especially caused by loud noise, not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume. My tinnitus no longer reaches the excruciating levels of intensity that I experienced from 2008 to 2012. However, it can reach severe levels and when this is sustained for more than three days I have to take clonazapam because I find it difficult to cope. I have variable tinnitus from: complete silence, mild, moderate and severe. When it is severe I can cope with it for a while but as I said if this persists I need medication to calm it down.

There was a time from 2008 to 2012 when it could reach extreme severe levels, and yes unbearable!

According to my Hearing Therapist and ENT Consultant, they don’t see many people with my type of tinnitus. I asked my consultant in 2010 as mentioned in the post below, to be candid about my tinnitus. She said I was the second worst person she had met with tinnitus but vowed to never give up on treating me.

I have variable tinnitus, which can be: silent, mild, moderate and severe. It no longer reaches the “extreme” levels I refer to in the post belwo: My experience with tinnitus. Hopefully it will give you some reassurance, that even when tinnitus is severe it can improve with time, and habituation will happen with the right help.

I believe my twenty years experience living with tinnitus qualifies me for saying this. Just the same as others in this forum that have had tinnitus for longer and also to those that have had it for less time.

Even though tinnitus is a common condition, I believe it is only those that have experienced intrusive tinnitus to the point where these levels have been sustained for a period of time and they’ve had to seek help at ENT will know how debilitating it can be. Anyone that hasn’t been through this process won’t have any understanding of what severe tinnitus is like or how it can affect one’s daily life and emotional well-being. For this reason, most Hearing Therapists and Audiologists, that practice tinnitus counselling, were either born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life.

Health professionals that are dedicated to helping their tinnitus patients will know about the anatomy of the ear but won't have a clue of what this condition is like unless they've experienced it, as my ENT consultant once told me.

My Experience With Tinnitus

I have had bilateral tinnitus for twenty years and have learnt to habituate to it twice. Anyone that would like to read my early years with the condition I will be posting an article titled: Advice for tinnitus newbies and beyond at a later date.

My story covers the last seven years, when my tinnitus increased to insurmountable levels for reasons I’m not sure of. I was listening to music on my HI-FI late one evening and turned up the volume, although I didn’t believe the sound was set too high. I was listening to a Haydn symphony but the next day my tinnitus returned with a vengeance; it became loud and very intrusive for many weeks. I returned to ENT for further treatment and started a second course of TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) that lasted over two years.

Although I had some success with TRT for the second time my tinnitus didn’t return to its previous manageable levels. I was left with large fluctuations in its intensity that could be variable on a daily basis from: Silent, mild, moderate, extremely severe.

My previous experience with tinnitus had taught me to try and have a positive outlook on life no matter how dire the circumstances. I learned this back in the days as a tinnitus newbie, and got inspiration from more experienced people at forums that were seasoned to tinnitus. Having a positive outlook helped me through some difficult times and I believed it would do so again.

I tried to remain optimistic that my T would return to how it once was but in October 2010 for the first time I began having doubts. I sensed my T had reached a plateau and things were no longer improving and depression started to set in. I made an appointment to see my Consultant and explained my concerns, and asked her to please be candid about my condition. I was informed that in all her years of practicing Audiovestibular medicine, she had only met one other patient with tinnitus as severe as mine. She explained the large fluctuations in my tinnitus, almost on a daily basis was not typical of the condition but said she wouldn’t give up on treating me. Her last words gave me a glimmer of hope.

I was prescribed clonazapam and told it is some times given to patients with severe tinnitus as it can help. I was advised to only take it when my T is very intrusive. If it is taken regularly the body quickly habituates to it so higher doses are needed to get the same effect. I was also told some people can become addicted to it and the side effects can be unpleasant. I found clonazapam helpful but didn’t take it regularly as I didn’t want dependency to set in. My GP monitored me closely with the amount of medication I was taking.

The fluctuations in my tinnitus remained and at times daily life became a struggle. When my tinnitus was moderate I could cope due to my previous years of habituation. However, when it was severely intrusive I had to take my clonazapam and go to bed whatever the time of day, as I just couldn’t function. My social life was non-existent and at times my positivity became very low. I was an avid reader and hadn’t read a book in over two years.

In March 2011, I began using a product that treats tinnitus. Over the following year the intensity of my T gradually reduced, but I must stress it was slow. I began taking clonazapam less and gradually returned to reading. It used to take me up to three weeks to read a novel due to the fluctuating intensity of my tinnitus; I can now finish a book in four to five days. My social life improved and I was able to carry out remodelling my house.

Christmas 2011, I saw my Consultant and mentioned the severity of my tinnitus was reducing although I still do get bad days but coping better without always having to take medication. I asked if it’s possible that I can remain as an outpatient instead of being discharged, just in case my T flares up again. I have a very good rapport with my Dr who readily agreed to my request.

My Dr was very pleased with my improvement and asked what had brought about the change. At that time I didn’t think it necessary to mention the product I have been using, as I believe it is a combination of things. Having a caring and understanding GP, Hearing Therapist and ENT Dr. Medication has also helped and also having a positive attitude and the belief things will get better. I thanked my Consultant and Hearing Therapist for all their help over the last four years. More than once I have made a phone call or written a letter to ENT and they have seen me in clinic.

The tinnitus device that I’ve been using I believe has helped a lot, and think it right to mention I have been using something. However, I have chosen not to mention its name as the inventor states it won’t help everyone. I took a chance as I was in a desperate situation last year and prepared to try anything. However, I did do my research and read at Forums, that it helped other tinnitus sufferers but not all. I am pleased it has helped me. I wasn’t looking to be cured, if my tinnitus remained at a moderate level and even spiked occasionally I can live happily with that (habituate). Only when it was severely loud and very intrusive on a daily basis at times, did it become a problem. I haven’t had to take clonazapam, as regularly there was a time I needed to take it every other day.

I would like to finish by saying: Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people have it the same. It can be: mild, moderate, or severe. Intermittent or constant. In one ear or both. It can fluctuate or remain at a constant level. Hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) can also be present.

Many people successfully habituate to tinnitus either with, or without treatment. This does involve acceptance and having a positive outlook on life and the condition and not to see it as a threat to your well-being.

Help is also available at an ENT clinic and each person's needs will be different. For some people their T will reduce to a level where they hardly notice it and may just require tinnitus counselling and using sound enrichment. Others may find hearing aid/s helpful. WNGs (white noise generators) are also good. In some cases medication can be prescribed. Success can also be sought using complementary medicine and/or tinnitus devices. There are really no set rules on how one reaches habituation, but I believe it is something that everyone with T can reach in time.

Michael

PS: The product that I used to help my tinnitus, I continue with it but won't divulge it to anyone so please do not ask. It is expensive and I would feel very guilty if it didn't help anyone that bought it.

16. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You are not fucked up, that's my point.

You never know what can happen and us, as human, can adapt to a lot of things.

I can't speak for those who got extreme T though. Mine is only very loud, in both ears with multiple frequencies and not maskable. But not extreme.

17. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Michael Leigh Thank again for your detailed reply. Although i would like to mention that you did tell us the product you are using a few months ago, unless i imagined it. I am pretty sure you did though.

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Sam,
      Yes, I did mention the product after receiving many PMs from people, although I was reluctant to do so. I still use it twice a day and find it helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    19. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Based on the description of your T, it's certainly possible to cope with.

@Sam Bridge I never read a case where it's as loud as a music festival, I just asked for the definition of loud.