Is It Possible to Get Used to Morse Code Type Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Romain B., Jun 19, 2018.

1. Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      I got morse code type tinnitus 6 months ago and still have some problems to adjust... Is it possible to adjust to it with time? Like habituation? Because it's not my regular hissing that is constant, it's intermittent and so far really hard to ignore it. Is there people around who have get used to this kind of tinnitus?

6 months is still pretty recent?

This sound like: Fridge noises, computer hard drive working, morse code, electrical zap, Mario Bros coins

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

2. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Morse code is a harder one to get used to. I had that for a while and it kept grabbing my attention because of its irregularity which made me listen for patterns. I experimented with irregular masking sounds to make myself not able to focus in on it. Eventually I came to a waterfall track on youtube which worked for me.

I have a sound identical to the hard drive sound right now. I was thinking of buying one of those mechanical hard drives and leave the computer on so then I would have the hard drive masking the hard drive sound if you know what I mean. Mario coins... that one sounds tough.

3. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      morse code T if responds to carbamazepine then is mvc and can be cured with surgery.
      Search for staccato tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had morse code for 7 weeks btw, it stopped after a course of prednison (only usefull within 3 months after onset). It changed from morse code to a steady tone which I still have, with the ocasional light hard drive sound.

I have read about people here taking anti-epilepsy medication against T and it working.
      Just read this post from someone that can solve it that way:
      Also read a study on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3829249/ where its said to work. @1MW Did you try it and did it work?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Thx for your answer !
      No i didn’t try carbamazepine as mine is reactive to sleep. If i get a good night, the morse code is lower. However if i miss one night of sleep, i would pay the price twice. Like if i was playing to Sonic and was always locked in that part where you earn coins .. Hell ! Glad yours did transform in something more steady !

6. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All my tones are essentially morse code-like or intermittent. I've got ringing, hissing and beeping. Some of them can grow continuous when lying down or for no reason at all, to be back to morse code the day thereafter. I think I'm dealing well with them, all things considered. But it will largely depend on the volume and the frequency. I mask my morse code T as well as I can. The hissing is the only one that is difficult to mask and that one is all over the place anyway.

Best of luck.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Thx for your report @Mellow7 ! I'm glad to read that is eventually possible to adjust to the morse code T. Like you said it's all depend on the volume and the frequency. It's just amazing how the lack of sleep can cause T spikes. I also have a hissing that is there anytime but i get used to it as time passed, mainly because it's feature is constant not intermittent like the morse code T. Is this aspect that bother me the most. And i wanted to know if the fact that it is constant or intermittent like morse code T could hamper the process to get used to it with time.. You seems to show me that is possible ! thx ;)

8. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I also had/have this morse code beep along with my other erratic tones, they change a lot apart from my high pitched sound and rattle snake sound. My problem is the morse code beeps comes and goes, as I’m getting used to it the tone may change or go away then bammmm it’s back. This makes me more aware of it which in turn makes it hard to come accustomed to it.
      I’m convinced somebody is trying to communicate with me via the beep beep bop beep.... :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      I don't know anything about morse code tinnitus but I do know 6 months is nothing in tinnitus land. Good luck and hang in there!!