Is It Possible to Go to College with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frensis, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

Do you think that is possible to start college and succeed in studying with tinnitus?

I have difficulties in concentrating... but I really would like to go to college :(

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes you can and get extra support if needed and at Uni also.
      Go for it and follow your heart and just be sensible around loud music ...
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Yeah you can definitely go to college with T.
      I would say it's even better for you to go and do something instead of just staying home all day obsessing over T.
      Last thrusday I was pretty much all day in college and forgot I even had T for several hours, it was the first time this happened in ages.
      Anyway I've been getting good grades even with T so you can too, of course it depends on what you are studying, that is if you find any passion in what you are doing. I study Physics which has been my passion for many years.
      Hope you have a full mental and physical recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everyones different. You should try though :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do you know people with potential but who didnt make it because of tinnitus? :(

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you for this comment. It really helps and encourages me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes me, but the fact that you are even considering it means you will likely succeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      If you really want to go to college you will make it, it's very important that you make friends in there, socializing is the one thing that I can rely upon and that gives me confidence that I am still the person I used to be before this tinnitus mess.
      Enjoy college and have a good time with people you like being around with.
      Focus on developing skills and forming good relations. Like @glynis mentioned before, if you are struggling go to some support centre in college and be sure to come to this forum as well, also don't be around loud places but I'm sure you know this by now.

I hope you have the greatest time in college and remember that if you don't succeed that is no problem at all, life can be hard sometimes and we don't have to do everything right all the time, just focus on having a good time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I have pretty severe tinnitus and I was supposed to go to college for Criminology this year but i decided to take a break to pull myself together. I'm definitely going next year. So far studying hasn't been any trouble, I actually enjoy the distraction and it gives me something to do other than lay around all day.

There'll be doubts and set-backs but If you're determined enough (and it sounds like you are), you'll be able to do it~

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do you know people who did it? Finished college with T?
      Thank you for your support.

11. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I know one person in real life who is in their last term and has had tinnitus since high school, and there's somebody (and probably a lot more) I read about here in the success stories who is doing/has done college with tinnitus too. Plenty of people do it, but even if nobody has done it yet; it doesn't mean you can't.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      An article about prevalence of tinnitus in college students:

Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Tinnitus and Tinnitus-Related Handicap in a College-Aged Population.
      Abstract
      Objective: Tinnitus is a common otological condition that affects almost 10% of US adults. Research suggests that college students are vulnerable to tinnitus and hearing loss as they are exposed to traumatic levels of noise on a regular basis. Tinnitus and its influence in daily living continue to be underappreciated in the college-aged population. Therefore, the objective for the present study was to analyze prevalence and associated risk factors of tinnitus and tinnitus-related handicap in a sample of college-aged students.

Design: A survey was administered to 678 students aged 18-30 years in a cross-section of randomly selected university classes. The survey was adopted from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2010). It inquired about demographic details, medical and audiological history, routine noise exposure, smoking, sound level tolerance, tinnitus, and tinnitus-related handicap in daily living. Tinnitus-related handicap was assessed by the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI). Participants were divided into four groups: chronic tinnitus (bothersome tinnitus for >1 year), acute tinnitus (bothersome tinnitus for <=1 year), subacute tinnitus (at least one experience of tinnitus in a lifetime), and no tinnitus (no experience of tinnitus in a lifetime).

Results: The prevalence of chronic, acute, subacute, and no tinnitus was 8.4%, 13.0%, 37.9%, and 40.7% respectively. Almost 9% of subjects with any form of tinnitus reported more than a slight tinnitus-related handicap (i.e., THI score >=18). A multinomial regression analysis revealed that individuals with high noise exposure, high sound level tolerance score, recurring ear infections, and self-reported hearing loss had high odds of chronic tinnitus. Females showed higher prevalence of acute tinnitus than males. Individuals with European American ethnicity and smoking history showed high odds of reporting subacute tinnitus. Almost 10% of the subjects reported that they were music students. The prevalence of chronic, acute, and subacute tinnitus was 11.3%, 22.5%, and 32.4%, respectively, for musicians, which was significantly higher than that for nonmusicians. Music exposure, firearm noise exposure, and occupational noise exposure were significantly correlated with tinnitus. Temporal characteristics of tinnitus, self-reported tinnitus loudness, and sound level tolerance were identified as major predictors for the overall THI score.

Conclusions: Despite the reluctance to complain about tinnitus, a substantial portion of college-aged individuals reported tinnitus experience and its adverse influence in daily living. It was concluded that environmental and health-related factors can trigger tinnitus perception, while self-reported psychoacoustic descriptors of tinnitus may explain perceived tinnitus-related handicap in daily living by college-aged individuals. Future research is required to explore effects of tinnitus on educational achievements, social interaction, and vocational aspects of college students.

Copyright (C) 2017 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.

Source : http://journals.lww.com/ear-hearing..._and_Risk_Factors_for_Tinnitus_and.99023.aspx