Is It Safe to Attend Concerts with Ear Protection?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by s-viv, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Just curious about this.
      I have noise induced tinnitus since I was 17 from attending a metal concert in the front row for 4 hrs (I didn't realize you could damage your ears at the time)

As in a young adult, I really noticed how much I missed music. I have attended two metal concerts (3-4hrs in length, small indoor venues) over the past year with a few friends.

I wore hearos ear plugs(33 dec. reduction) and 3M ear muffs over (27 dec. reduction), I know that the decibel reduction is not at all additive, but I did notice that the loudness of the concert wasn't bad at all with the dual protection. I did feel unsafe without the muffs on though, even when I standing towards the back.

I was wondering if it is safe to be doing this at all? Even if I don't have any noticeable spikes ( the doc says my hearing is perfect oddly enough) am I doing future damage? Also, the low frequency decibels that might not be blocked by hearing protection is this a problem?

I didn't notice any spike in my T, I have a low pitched humming sound that is really only audible at night (though my right ear has spiked the other day :( ).

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yes.

No.

No.

If you wonder about the brevity of my answers, I am trying to convey how definitively I feel about the subject.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 5