Is It Safe to Make Music with Tinnitus / Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NeoAnderson, Oct 29, 2016.

1. NeoAnderson

NeoAnderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since I get so much anxiety from this constant ear fullness and hyperacusis / tinnitus, sometimes even though I'm afraid of sounds and being triggered by them, I have to just take my mind off it and get into creative mode making music.
      I am also a 3d artist / game dev, but sometimes making music is a bigger anxiety reliever since it's less stressful / technical and more fun at times. I use speakers that are 5 feet from my ears, don't really play them too loud, (unless im really in the moment) but I do not use headphones or ear buds.

My question, is this dangerous and should I give it up? Or do it at very low volumes? Sometimes when I'm in a good mood and am forgetting about my problems I just turn the music up and try to let the music drown out my thoughts and everything, the problem is a few hours after I feel like I shouldn't have done it, kind of like being regretful after eating a big fattening meal. I mean, since we have possible extra damage and dead cells, are we more susceptible to further easier damage and causing our problems to get worse every time we dont protect them? IDK if I can be walking around with earmuffs 24/7 in florida..

Should we just treat sound the way we do with food and indulge in moderation but not completely cut ourselves off? Or is it more important to preserve what fragile senses we have left in hopes to benefit from sciences in 5-10 years? When you see suicidal people with this stuff it makes you both want to live in the moment and enjoy life while it lasts but also protect your hearing even more and dont, its like which one do you do lol

2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Nope. Do not give up your passion for music. It sounds like you are well informed. If this brings you comfort from the anxiety that is the most important factor. You seem to be doing the right stuff not using head phones and such.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeoAnderson

NeoAnderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      True its like anxiety vs. preservation, but since some people here said only pure silence really cured their H, I'm not sure if that would even work for me. I tried wearing ear protection with no noise for a while but it seems like it made me even more sensitive to sound, and since white/pink noise generators are sound which work for many, maybe being around sound is better, unless its just that neither one really helps and we might as well do whatever we want...

4. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wearing earplugs all the time definitely does make your ears sensitive to sound. This actually adds more damage to your hearing hairs because they're on high alert, looking for a source of sound. Please only wear them in social events or places where you have to raise your voice. Go with your passion but be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      If you can listen too music and enjoy it then yes but make sure you are listening at a sensible volume and never on headphones.

I can no longer enjoy music as it just sounds broken up most of the time.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeoAnderson

NeoAnderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ^^That is why I figure I might as well enjoy it while I can if I ever get to that point of not being able to enjoy music anymore I will regret I didn't create and appreciate it enough before it happens..

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Bro, dont give it up, otherwise T wins!

Get yourself pair of open back headphones and listen on safe level (low what not).

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. Mark McClelland

Mark McClelland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy and repeated extreme loud music
      I see no reason why you should stop listening to music at all. Just be careful and also, if it does affect you so much, take breaks of silence. I mean, life can be loud anyway so why deprive yourself of this?

9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Bin the headphones, use speakers and sensible volume.

Since acquiring T I have advised any of my staff who use headphone/ear buds too stop using them and guess what, none of them listen. (Their choice)
      One of the guys had the volume up so loud yesterday I could hear it before I seen him. I always thought that was madness.

10. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      My issues are not caused my music though. I wish it was as then at least I could say well it was a good night.

11. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Speakers are totally fine, however open back headphones are NOT the same as regulair headphones. sound is disperced and not going to ear canal directly, instead creating sound around the ear. basically with open back headphones you have same experience as with speakers (prespecrive).

12. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Continue man just keep the volume low. If it doesn't hurt or if you don't have a T spike and ear fatigue after listening it's probably safe.

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Go with your passion! If you stop your T might increase due to the stress. So go on.., and adjust. Headphones/speakers.., turn the volume not too high though..